Axl walk-off last night (Portland show, Dec 11th)

Towserhead

A crowd of thousands of people who wanted to see him play PC isn't good enough to determine him to play it?What would have cost him?7 minutes of his life?

They don't have to perform any of the songs that they do, they could of gone on stage and simply yodelled(sp) for 2 hours :P

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know what he actually said about the album?

After Better Axl said:"I know we're not supposed to talk about it, but that was a song from our forthcoming album."

That's what I have a problem with, if even Axl can't talk about it.. who can?

Maybe Axl was joking about some stuff he readed over the net.

A crowd of thousands of people who wanted to see him play PC isn't good enough to determine him to play it?What would have cost him?7 minutes of his life?

He must have had his reasons, if you've seen him perform you know how much he loves doing it. IMO, there a lot of things Axl should clear but not playing PC on one single gig does not belong to them.

he could play any damn song he wants...if he ended the show without paradise city that doesnt mean he left the stage..it means the show ended...the Chili Peppers just played a show the other night where they did not play under the bridge and give it away for the 1st time in 15 years......bands get sick of playing the same shit

Jeez, I dunno guys... Maybe he and Merck just realized that people were onto their "Selling Concerts On the Promise Of Chinese Democracy Even Though There Is No Chinese Democracy Coming Out" schtick (and as always, realizing it about 3 months after the fact), and decided to throw everybody a bone to keep the tour from dying.

Sometimes the simple answer is the correct one. But it sure is great to see how desperate everyone is -- Axl winds you up and you just go-go-go. "OMG THIS MUST BE IT CHINESE DEMOCRACY IS NOW I KNOW BECAUSE HE SAID THE SAME VAGUE WORDING AS THE HARLEY AD!!! !LOL!!!!!!!"

Three reasons come to mind as to the quote:

-New Fans - We've all heard how the new songs have been generally greeted with a lukewarm reception at best, with perhaps the majority of the audience having never heard them before. It's an introduction from Axl to a new song, basically.

-A Shot At The Internet - With everything gone quiet on the album front and it looking increasingly unlikely that there will be no release this year, Axl may just be trying to stir things up again and take a shot at the recent forum 'strike' on a GNR fansite by mentioning the album.

-Promotion for the album? - No 'Paradise City' meant that Axl finished the set with a song from the new album. The mention of the album also indicates that a release is still on the cards for the near future.

Either way, it's a pretty interesting development.

Those seem less likely to me than this--there is something to the rumors about a fight with the label about releasing the new album. While they are working that out, either by negotiating, legal action, or otherwise, Axl (and Merck) aren't supposed to discuss CD. But Axl decided to break the rules a little last night.

But it's all just gross speculation. (As usual.)

Last night's show; (From Htgth.com concert page, incase someone find's it useful)

December 11th, 2006 - Portland, OR @ The Rose Garden Arena

Setlist: Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Robin Guitar Solo/Jam (with Dizzy & Frank), Sweet Child O' Mine, Better, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Piano Moving Jam, Dizzy Piano Solo, The Blues, You Could Be Mine, Richard Guitar Solo, Richard & Robin Guitar Duet, Out Ta Get Me, IRS, Rocket Queen, Down On The Farm, Ron Guitar Solo (Don't Cry), My Michelle (with Sebastian Bach), Used To Love Her, Patience, Nightrain

Encore: Chinese Democracy, Madagascar

Notes: After Sweet Cild O' Mine, Axl comments on how the venue's name, The Rose Garden, has a nice ring to it.

After Better, he mentions that he's learned that he's supposed to say things like "that's a song from our forthcoming album...".

Opening acts: Helmet, Suicide Girls, Sebastian Bach

Capacity: 15,000

instead of typing the same songs over and over and over as is the case most nights with the exception of one song maybe 2, why dont you just say 'same setlist as last night and the night before, but they played *insert song title here* as well right after *insert song name here*'? cause they NEVER change it up for the most part...they played dotf in edmonton but not calgary, YAY big change :P

blah.

instead of typing the same songs over and over and over as is the case most nights with the exception of one song maybe 2, why dont you just say 'same setlist as last night and the night before, but they played *insert song title here* as well right after *insert song name here*'? cause they NEVER change it up for the most part...they played dotf in edmonton but not calgary, YAY big change :P

blah.

Jesus, what do you expect... for them to play Chinese Democracy on the Chinese Democracy World Tour?

no, im just pointing out when they type the setlists that its the same songs...so just a lazy way to get around it...if Axl is lazy and uncreative in the setlists...why shouldnt we be? :D

blah.

Jesus, what do you expect... for them to play Chinese Democracy on the Chinese Democracy World Tour?

no, im just pointing out when they type the setlists that its the same songs...so just a lazy way to get around it...if Axl is lazy and uncreative in the setlists...why shouldnt we be? :D

Are you saying he is lazy because he doesn't change the setlist? The fact that he goes up there and plays a two hour + show everynight isn't enough, you want a custom setlist every night?...

After Better, he mentions that he's learned that he's supposed to say things like "that's a song from our forthcoming album...".

So, what did he really say? This, or "I know we're not supposed to talk about it, but that was a song from our forthcoming album."

:question:

well..i was at the calgary and edmonton show..and you know the difference between the two other than the one song they played differently? the crowd. edmonton was FAR more into the show for the first 45 mins than calgary was...but thats also asking a lot too at 2am :P i dunno. maybe the album is like 'chinese democracy' and will never happen...who knows? but even during their earlier tours*199x*..look at the setlists...and compare them to now....