Eddie Trunk Checks Out GNR Rehearsals In LA

madison

DATE: March 30, 2007

SOURCE: eddietrunk.com

Rock jock Eddie Trunk spent some time checking out GNR's rehearsals during a four-day trip to L.A.

From Eddie's blog:

Flew out Saturday night only to find Bumblefoots wife in the seat behind me. G&R was rehearing in LA for a Japanese tour and she was flying out to see him. We landed and Bumble was nice enough to offer a lift to my hotel. He said the record is close to coming out soon. Then John Sykes took me to dinner at The Ivy (thank John!) along with his webmaster Drew. Good to catch up with him, as you know John is a good friend and I am a huge fan. John is headed to Europe for the Summer with Lizzy but he is still open to some Blue Murder stuff later in the year, fingers crossed! After dinner we hung at the legendary Rainbow for some drinks and sat at a both that had a photo of John from '87 still above it. Pretty funny and John joked it was his son!

Sunday afternoon caught up with some friends for coffee and saw Paul Stanley, Andrew Dice Clay, Rudy Sarzo and George Thorogood all within at half hour at the same place! Spoke to Dice (who is my all time fave comic) and Rudy for a while. Rudy is just hanging while Dio does H&H.

Sunday night caught up with Keith Nelson of Buckcherry. Keith was just back from a real successful run of shows in Europe and there is more US touring coming soon. Keith and I hit the place where the "Robert Blake Incident" took place for dinner. We went because the food was good, not because of that!

Monday afternoon ran into All American Rejects at the hotel. Nice guys and the singer goes out with the model Kim Smith, lucky guy!

Monday night I checked out 80's tribute band Metal Skool. This band has created a scene in LA on Monday nights at the Key Club like I have never seen before and a real interesting mix of people. Some of the show was funny, but I'm not yet really sure how I feel about it, but it is huge in LA and has become the place for people to be seen. Tom Morello, Scott Ian, David Spade and many more were there.

Tuesday was the press conference for Rocklahoma which I hosted. I was interviewed by all five radio stations that were there from the area to cover it, as well as some print media. The response to this event was great really quickly and tix have already started to sell well with more acts announced soon. Hung with Eric and Brent from Faster Pussycat (Taime not in the band!), Joey from Warrant, and Tracii Guns, who acknowledged how long we've all been doing this! All were on the panel with me and all were pumped for this event. Tracii's version of LA Guns is playing the event. Don Dokken showed up a bit late but it was also great to see him. I did a brief spot in a reality show he is doing and then we had lunch at the Rainbow. Don is also on the event and has a new CD coming as well.

Tuesday night Gilby Clarke took me to the Lakers game in a way to small for me sports car! Never went to Staples before, what a nice building. Lakers lost a bad one to Memphis. Gilby has great seats and VIP parking by a valet, it was awesome. Jack was a few rows away! Thanks Gilby, Laker tix are not easy to get or cheap and I appreciate it. Gilby is doing some Canadian solo dates, check him out. Then Bumblefoot called from G&R rehearsal and invited me to come see the band rehearse. So Gilby drove me to the G&R rehersal studio where I met all the guys in the band and listened to them play their set. I have not really heard this lineup of the band and they did sound great. New drummer Frank kicks ass (and he lives in NJ) and all 3 guitarists played so well together. What really sounded great were the many new songs they played. It feels like this album may finally come out soon. All the guys were super cool and it was great to meet them and talk music. Thanks to Bumble for the invite and the ride back to my hotel after.

It was action packed the whole time and really lot's of fun. Many stories to share on the radio shows in coming weeks and it was awesome to meet so many on the W Coast that listen to the shows or catch my VH1C stuff. Thanks to all!

ET

Related forum discussion: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=92475&st=0