3 1/2 years after CD was released, how do you rate the songs? (1 to 10 scale)

Madridista

I aggregated everyone's scores.

68 people gave their ratings. I replaced everything over 10 with 10 and anything below 1 with 1. I computed the average (arithmetic mean, although I think that's a very simplistic approach) for each song and for the album for each poster, as well as the mean of means which is 6.67.

Means for songs:

1. Chinese Democracy: 6.74
  2. Shackler's Revenge: 6.83
  3. Better: 7.94
  4. Street of Dreams: 6.71
  5. If the World: 5.76
  6. There Was a Time: 8.19
  7. Catcher in the Rye: 7.02
  8. Scraped: 5.08
  9. Riad n' the Beduins: 4.78 (you people are fucking idiots)
  10. Sorry: 6.60
  11. I.R.S.: 6.53
  12. Madagascar: 6.55
  13. This I Love: 7.04
  14. Prostitute: 7.57

Over a third of the posters rated TWAT a 10, in fact the only people who rated it below 7 are those who gave every song very low marks, because that's the kind of douchebags they are. <_< I am very proud to be the only one who rated Riad a 10. B) I will show you some histograms later, but it's pretty clear that some songs split people massively getting very high and very low marks. I also wanna aggregate post counts for those who have voted and see if there's a connection between marks and how new they are here.

I agree. Riad is a much better song than CD.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work guys, really interesting to read.

Someone noted years ago that on a compact disc, the average songs at the beginning are always liked better than the average songs towards the end. But on an LP, the songs at the start of side 1 and side 2 are liked better than those towards the end of both sides. If CD had been released during the LP era, I wonder if people maybe would have liked Scraped etc.. a little more.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

v9g1u.jpg

Wow, this was really cool of you to do. Could the same be done for the other albums? I think it could be interesting to see how the different albums would be rated in general on the forum.

Kind of like I did here:

I could reorganise my list so that it's after each album as well if we do this. It would require quite a big effort from you or whoever else that would compile everyone's ratings though. Anyone else interested in it?

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Maybe wait till the restructure and see what changes will be made with the sections, or if the mods could allow five threads about the old band to be held in this section for two weeks or something. I'm sure there could be a way to work around it.

Chinese Democracy 8.5/10

Shackler's Revenge 7.5/10

Better 7.5/10

Street Of Dreams 6/10 (I love the live versions though)

If The World 6.5/10

There Was A Time 6.5/10

Catcher In The Rye 6.5/10

Scraped 7/10

Riad N' The Bedouins 6.5/10

Sorry 8.5/10

IRS 8/10

Madagascar 7/10 (Live absolutely 10/10)

This I love 7/10 (Live also 10/10)

Prostitute 9/10

What I'm missing the most is the rasp on songs like Catcher and TWAT, the acoustic live version of Catcher was amazing though.

I promised a histogram but then I completely forgot about it. Sorry. Here it is:

2e5o09s.png

People like it well enough, but there are some very low marks that drag the average down. With the last two votes added (username and ucudbmine) the mean went up from 6.67 to 6.68. The median however is 7.07 which is pretty good actually. I would love to do the same thing for the other albums although having seen this people might be unconsciously biased after this thread and knowing there will be comparisons.

The histograms for songs look pretty much the same with the big modal peak to the right for TWAT and to the left for Riad and Scraped.

Chinese Democracy 6.5/10

Shackler's Revenge 9/10 - hated this so much before

Better 6.5/10

Street Of Dreams 6/10

If The World 9.5/10

There Was A Time 10/10

Catcher In The Rye 6/10 Overcooked

Scraped 4/10

Riad N' The Bedouins 7/10 - OK song, amazing drums

Now let's get down to business

Sorry 9/10

IRS 9/10

Madagascar 8.5/10

This I love 8/10

Prostitute 10/10

Chinese Democracy: 5/10

Shackler's Revenge: 8/10

Better: 7.5/10

Street of Dreams: 6.5/10

If The World: 6.5/10

There Was A Time: 10/10

Catcher in the Rye: 7/10

Scraped: 8/10

Riad N' The Bedouins: 6/10

Sorry: 6.5/10

IRS: 7.5/10

Madagascar: 6/10

This I Love: 8/10

Prostitute: 7/10

Average: 7.11/10

Edited by Flayer

Chinese Democracy: 8.5/10

Shackler's Revenge: 9.5/10

Better: 9/10

Street of Dreams: 8/10

If The World: 8/10

There Was A Time: 9/10

Catcher in the Rye: 9.5/10

Scraped: 6/10

Riad N' The Bedouins: 6/10

Sorry: 10/10

IRS: 8.5/10

Madagascar: 10/10

This I Love: 9/10

Prostitute: 10/10

Average: 8.64

• 1 month later...

v9g1u.jpg

hey, if you have time to spare, excluding the extremes (those that would stand out in a diagram) would make the numbers more accurate. e.g. my ratings go from 5 to 9.5 with two odd 1 votes which bring the average down significantly. that is not justified and makes for bad statistics

also median is often more accurate than aritmethic middle. e.g lets take Better- it might have 2 "1" votes, 10 "8" votes and 2 "10" votes

average - 7,28

median - 8 - more accurate

here. I've done it for Chinese democracy song:

1 12

2 12345

3 123

4 12

5 123

6 1234567

7 1234567890123456789

8 1234567890

9 12345678

10 123456789

median value for CD is: 7

average and less accurate i.e. more misguiding: 6.77

Edited by the rush

also median is often more accurate than aritmethic middle

Accurate is not the word I'd use, but I get your point and you're right, in some cases it paints a more useful picture. With large samples the median and the mean tend to converge unless there's a systemic bias. Here the bias comes from a number of posters who gave disproportionately small marks. At the other end there were few eyebrow raising ratings, so so much for the notion that there are brainwashed fanboys who lick Axl's ass unconditionally. I guess the 'haters' are more irrational than the 'nutters'.

I still have the spreadsheet, it'll just take a few seconds. I'll add the last few posts too.

lFU8n.jpg

The median is higher for all but two songs where it approximately equal.

Wow, this was really cool of you to do. Could the same be done for the other albums? I think it could be interesting to see how the different albums would be rated in general on the forum.

Kind of like I did here: http://www.mygnrforu...ost__p__3123837

I could reorganise my list so that it's after each album as well if we do this. It would require quite a big effort from you or whoever else that would compile everyone's ratings though. Anyone else interested in it?

Lacking a very large sample (150+) it would be most useful if it were the same people voting so we could make a comparison.

Chinese Democracy 6/10 (I don't like the long intro)

Shackler's Revenge 7/10

Better 10/10

Street Of Dreams 8/10 (great song, but i prefer the early version they used to play in 2001-2002)

If The World 7/10 (i don't like the effect on the *nanana* bridge, the leak was better on this point)

There Was A Time 10/10

Catcher In The Rye 10/10 (i LOVE May in the demo, but the Bumble solo and outro isn't bad)

Scraped (4/10)

Riad N' The Bedouins (5/10)

Sorry (7/10)

I. R. S. (9/10)

Madagascar (8/10)

This I Love (8/10)

Prostitute (10/10)

also median is often more accurate than aritmethic middle

Accurate is not the word I'd use, but I get your point and you're right, in some cases it paints a more useful picture. With large samples the median and the mean tend to converge unless there's a systemic bias. Here the bias comes from a number of posters who gave disproportionately small marks. At the other end there were few eyebrow raising ratings, so so much for the notion that there are brainwashed fanboys who lick Axl's ass unconditionally. I guess the 'haters' are more irrational than the 'nutters'.

I still have the spreadsheet, it'll just take a few seconds. I'll add the last few posts too.

lFU8n.jpg

The median is higher for all but two songs where it approximately equal.

so there you have it, much nicer and useful numbers and if we turn those ,5 into whole numbers in the positive direction we have:

9 - 3 songs

8 - 1 song

7 - 8 songs

6 - 1 song

5 - 1 song

pretty damn good if you ask me

Nice table lol

Chinese Democracy: 8

Shackler's Revenge: 9

Better: 9.5

Street of Dreams: 8.5

If the World: 8 (this one is a 9 live though)

There Was A Time: 10

Catcher in the Rye: 9

Scraped: 7.5 (8.5 live)

Riad N' the Bedouins: 7

Sorry: 8

I.R.S.: 7.5

Madagascar: 9

This I Love: 9

Prostitute: 9

The mean is 8.5, but I would rate the album a 9 to 9.5. Nostalgia and how I like the album as a while defiantly matter. So suck it, I love Chinese lol :takethat:

i can't believe people still listen to the album. i put it on twice, but never managed to get through the whole thing in one listen. such a looooooong, sulky time. it's like listening to heavy tori amos to me. only it hurts more, because i hear axl's voice and keep expecting something cool to happen.

You really need to listen to it when you are in the 'right' mood. I know what that is for me, can't say for you though. :)

I must like heavy music because you are totally right about the similarity to Tori Amos' heavy songs, which I love and I've never thought about that. Thanks for the enlightenment, man! :thumbsup:

i can't believe people still listen to the album. i put it on twice, but never managed to get through the whole thing in one listen. such a looooooong, sulky time. it's like listening to heavy tori amos to me. only it hurts more, because i hear axl's voice and keep expecting something cool to happen.

You really need to listen to it when you are in the 'right' mood. I know what that is for me, can't say for you though. :)

I must like heavy music because you are totally right about the similarity to Tori Amos' heavy songs, which I love and I've never thought about that. Thanks for the enlightenment, man! :thumbsup:

The album really is as far away as you can get from Appetite and may not sound like GNR, but I still think its a fantastic album. A lot of great songs on it, especially Better and TWAT. I guess I can kind of see Chidem as a very, very far evolution of UYI.

Chinese Democracy 1.5/10

Shackler's Revenge 1/10

Better 2/10

Street of Dreams 1/10

If the world 1/10

There was a time 1.5/10

Catcher in the rey 1/10

Scraped 1/10

Riad N the Bedouins 1/10

Sorry 1/10

IRS 2/10

Madagascar 1.5/10