Why does Axl hate Slash more than Izzy, Duff and Steven?

Vincent Vega

In another thread you noted how when you were working on Reckless Road back in '94, Axl was a big supporter of it despite it having photos of Izzy and Steven, who were both out of the band and saying shit in the press.

But when you released the final product, he viewed it as a betrayal, as if you were siding with Slash or something.

My questions are:

1) Why does Axl hate Slash more than Izzy or Duff or Steven? Izzy was his best buddy for years, quit at the worst possible time, said embarassing stuff about Axl for years in the press, Steven was fired and said all sorts of stuff against Axl, Duff quit on Axl and said stuff about Axl being a dictator--yet Axl shares the stage with Izzy quite often, had Duff join newGuns as a guest last year, and even partied and talked with Steven. Why is it that all of these guys are given a pass and are forgiven by Axl, when they did the same things as Slash (talked crap about Axl, sued him, etc)? All of them "betrayed" and made Axl look bad to the press but he seems to have forgiven them to some extent.

2) Why is Axl so bitter now about anything to do with the old band? As you said, in '94, he didn't care that you had pictures of Izzy and Steven in your book despite them being out of the band and being at odds with Axl and GN'R...Nowadays, it seems like he'd like to pretend the old band never happened, hates anyone who reminds him of it or seems to support it in any way, and tries to bury everything about the old band as much as he can. Any insight as to why his heart has hardened so much against a big chapter in his life?

Also

3) Axl said that Slash should've never been in GN'R in the first place or that Slash should've left after Lies...Does he really feel that way? I mean, does he not realize that Slash contributed as much to GN'R's success as him? Does he really think GN'R would've been GN'R in the 80s and 90s without Slash? Does he not realize that AFD and the UYIs would've been vastly different without Slash?

Guest RonMexico82

I sometimes think that Axl's problem is that Slash walked away when Axl wanted him to stay and as a result he hasn't been able to realise his vision playing with other guitarists, hence his spectacularly poor productivity ever since while Slash is as productive as ever and adored by millions. It is jealousy like seeing the girl you love fucking someone else which makes you go around talking to anyone that will listen about how much you hate her. I think the same applies to Slash and his view of New GNR too for what its worth. They are as bad as each other.

I think Axl feels that Slash left him hanging in 1995/1996 and then went out and said a bunch of things to the press pointing the finger at Axl. Axl thinks that a lot of what Slash has said was a lie and I'm sure Slash has said things that Axl knows is not a lie but is still hurt that Slash has said them. There are also a lot of things that Axl and Slash disagree on how they went down. Some of them are simple miss communication between the middle men working between them. So both sides might be telling the truth or what they believe the truth to be is. I'm also pretty sure that Slash has forgotten a lot the things that he said that still anger Axl. There fore until they talk about them nothing will ever be resolve. Axl is waiting for Slash to apologize for things said and Slash has no clue what they even are.

So if on the offchance Slash apologizes tomorrow, Axl will accept and be friends again? Or do you think Axl will still make a big deal about it and continue the feud?

I think Axl would be able to move on and get more things done. I don't think that would mean they would be friends again but I think Axl would be open to work with him again at some point for business.

So if on the offchance Slash apologizes tomorrow, Axl will accept and be friends again? Or do you think Axl will still make a big deal about it and continue the feud?

I think Axl would be able to move on and get more things done. I don't think that would mean they would be friends again but I think Axl would be open to work with him again at some point for business.

Do you think maybe you could simply ask Slash to apologize for the sake of the fans? He's got nothing to lose in apologizing. And it'd be for the fans....That way maybe fans could at least finally get some vault stuff like the UYI Tour Documentary or more old band concerts released. I mean you're his friend maybe you could persuade him.

I have told Slash many times what Axl wants. Slash was willing to speak with Axl to try and work out the things that are between them but Axl is the one who won't let that happen. Axl wants Slash to apologize to the public for what ever it was that he said or did to Axl. Neither one is going to budge.

I have told Slash many times what Axl wants. Slash was willing to speak with Axl to try and work out the things that are between them but Axl is the one who won't let that happen. Axl wants Slash to apologize to the public for what ever it was that he said or did to Axl. Neither one is going to budge.

So in the end, it's ego that tore them down and keep them apart? You'd think that at their age, it wouldn't be such an issue. Ego is usually a young man's problem because as you get older, things like that don't matter as much. You think maybe the spoils of mega success have a way of stunting that growth? Because that's all I can think of. This all seems way too petty imo and doesn't add up.

Edited by Nintari

What sucks is when a band is as big as Van Halen or Guns N'Roses, and you have a really big key element in both bands quitting - things have to be really bad for someone to quit. Somehow, Dave and Ed were able to work things out, but it took a really long time.

What sucks is when a band is as big as Van Halen or Guns N'Roses, and you have a really big key element in both bands quitting - things have to be really bad for someone to quit. Somehow, Dave and Ed were able to work things out, but it took a really long time.

Sure but if you believe the rumours Eddie and Dave still hate each other and they are fighting again

Edited by classicrawker

something to do with stephanie..or erin, is my guess.

it is always a girl.......always.

I doubt it. I'm sure Axl would have said if Slash had had sex with one of those two.

Also, while I'm sure they both banged a lot of the same chicks, when it comes to ones they love they seem to have different taste (Slash seems to like the bigger girls while Axl likes statuesque model-types).

I think Axl feels that Slash left him hanging in 1995/1996 and then went out and said a bunch of things to the press pointing the finger at Axl. Axl thinks that a lot of what Slash has said was a lie and I'm sure Slash has said things that Axl knows is not a lie but is still hurt that Slash has said them. There are also a lot of things that Axl and Slash disagree on how they went down. Some of them are simple miss communication between the middle men working between them. So both sides might be telling the truth or what they believe the truth to be is. I'm also pretty sure that Slash has forgotten a lot the things that he said that still anger Axl. There fore until they talk about them nothing will ever be resolve. Axl is waiting for Slash to apologize for things said and Slash has no clue what they even are.

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

why not ask axl what it is slash said that he wants an apology for so bad and than see if slash has any recollection at all of saying it, or what his take on it is if he does - and what's his thought's on a chance of a potential apology - or dialogue on his perspective after so many years of mostly sobriety - and see if there's anything worth talking about

But if he doesn't know what he's supposed to apologize for, how is he supposed to apologize? Surely Axl sees the catch-22 in that? Hell, maybe Slash would look at the list and think, "You know, Axl is right, I handled that poorly."

I remember reading or watching an interview where Slash talked about how he probably could have done things differently, but he was wrapped up in his own issues,

As far as Axl hating Slash more, my theory is Axl was closer to Slash than he wants to admit. He thought they were Jagger/Richards or Page/Plant, as well as close friends because of all that they had done together. Them against the world. When Slash left for whatever reason (in my opinion due to a combination of Slash's drugs and alcohol haze and Axl's circle of people around him) Axl felt like his best friend had abandoned him and it bothered and still bothers him, more than anything Slash has said about him in the press.

Again, just my theory.

I doubt it. I'm sure Axl would have said if Slash had had sex with one of those two.

Also, while I'm sure they both banged a lot of the same chicks, when it comes to ones they love they seem to have different taste (Slash seems to like the bigger girls while Axl likes statuesque model-types).

Slash's first wife wasn't a "bigger" girl and either was Perla when they first married.

Its so interesting to read what people think about this. I honestly can't believe its THAT simple. Like an apology or a best friend things. Its been too long and too much bad blood for that. Its gotta be something bigger than what 12 year olds fight about. I don't buy that Axl and Slash were best friends and Axl can't get over that. If that were the case, Axl would have to make some moves (as Slash is open to stuff), but its Axl who refuses to move on issues.

I think the problem now is Slash really has found another band. Yes, its only his second record and tour with the Conspirators, and typically with Slash in terms of the Snakepit and VR, that number is the maximum these guys get. But it seems like he's really happy about his new direction. He's the boss, its a band, and they are playing the music he loves (which is far different than what we got on Chinese Democracy). The only thing even remotely close to what Slash currently and has always played is the title track. Everything else is far from classic GNR/Slash material. Even Slash said when Chinese was released that it sounded "exactly how he thought it would." Slash left in 96 because he wanted to keep playing hard rock classic GNR stuff and Axl wanted to make Chinese Democracy music. Neither are wrong, just their recent album output is so different, you could easily see they had just drifted apart, mainly Axl from classic GNR roots (not a bad thing, but everyone except him wanted to stay in that direction that was working).

I hope an apology is as simple as it is, but I can't convince myself thats the case. I love both Axl and Slash dearly, but Slash is level headed these days. Axl had 16 years to apologize or at least approach Slash to make up, and up until now Slash would have accepted that. All of a sudden, after 16 years, he has gotten tired of GNR questions as he thinks a reunion won't ever happen at this point. I feel thats him basically saying "If Axl could even budge on making amends on both of our parts, I would have reciprocated". Neither is going to go crawling back to each other, and neither of them should. Axl has his new GNR band now, which I assume he feels close with, and any tie to Slash would probably destroy his current incarnation. And Slash is very happy being sober and playing with his new band.

I hope they can get back together, and if I were connected to either I would try to make it happen for the fans. But I thought the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame was our last hope. I know think its never gonna happen, mainly because Axl can realistically only have so many good singing years left. I also think Axl doesn't reach out to Slash now because he's hit or miss live and Slash is consistently great. Slash has only gotten better with age.

By the way the music on Chinese Democracy may not even be what Axl set out to do. It's just what he ended up with do to the fact of who he ended up working with. I know he is happy with it but you can't really say thats what he set out to do when Slash was still in the band. I don't think Axl even knew what he wanted. He onlly knew what he didn't want to do.

Slash's first wife wasn't a "bigger" girl and either was Perla when they first married.

Was thinkin' more about the "where the girls are fat and they got big titties" alternate lyrics ;)

By the way the music on Chinese Democracy may not even be what Axl set out to do. It's just what he ended up with do to the fact of who he ended up working with. I know he is happy with it but you can't really say thats what he set out to do when Slash was still in the band. I don't think Axl even knew what he wanted. He onlly knew what he didn't want to do.

Slash and Gilby often said he wanted to work with people like Trent Reznor and do "Pearl Jam type stuff". Do you know if he ever contacted Reznor or Vedder about working with him either on a GNR album or a solo project?

Well he did get Trent Reznor's guitar player so I guess thats worth something.

Edited by recklessroad