Question about something in Used To Love Her

classicguns4life

No, its not a question about what the song is about. At about 2:25-2:30 during the guitar solo, there's a faint little "say!" or "hey!". Sounds like a girl's voice or something. I've always noticed it, and I know it as part of the song now, but I have no idea what the fuck it is. Any ideas? Has anyone else ever heard this or has it ever otherwise been talked about on here? Is there some sort of story around it?

It has come up before. I am pretty sure it's a woman's voice saying "Slash" during the guitar solo (some people thought she says "Saul", if I remember correctly). Also curious if anyone has any additional information about it.

Also a woman's voice (could be the same person) says "No I won't" in the first few seconds of The Garden.

• Like 1

Also a woman's voice (could be the same person) says "No I won't" in the first few seconds of The Garden.

That I knew about and just thought was part of the song. Was right at the beginning of the track so I figured it wasn't something that leaked through or anything. I don't know what the meaning of it is, but I figured that was purposefully in there. I figured because GNR Lies was supposedly recorded quickly this female voice was some background noise that accidentally made it in, but I'm honestly not sure.

I had never thought the voice could be saying Saul. Thats very interesting and definitely makes sense. I don't think she's saying Slash because I feel it just doesn't sound like that at all, but Saul definitely sounds like a possibility. Or "stop" like someone else said. Again, anymore information about it would be helpful.

It has come up before. I am pretty sure it's a woman's voice saying "Slash" during the guitar solo (some people thought she says "Saul", if I remember correctly). Also curious if anyone has any additional information about it.

This!

I always thought this voice was the same on both songs

also some additional info

Used to Love Her" was written as a joke after Izzy Stradlin disliked a song he heard on the radio featuring "some guy whining about a broad who was treating him bad". Slash stated that "People think it's about one of our old girlfriends, but it's actually about Axl's dog." However, there are some suggestions that the Guns N' Roses song "Used to Love Her" is an uncredited version of Tales of Terror's "Danant," given that Tales' frontman Pat Stratford did live in Los Angeles with them for some time after Tales' break-up and before Guns N' Roses gained fame, they took a few song ideas from him

More info

http://web.archive.org/web/20070912113553/http://www.gnrsource.com/songinfo/lies/utlh.htm

Additional information: Note from "G N' R Lies"-cover: "A joke, nothing more. Actually it's pretty selfexplanatory if you ask me!". At 2:29 and 3:09, there's someone saying something.

Edited by Crash Diet
  • Like 1

Haha, I also listened to some Lies stuff after seeing this thread, and went to Wiki as well. Had forgotten about this quote, just funny because everybody loves Axl's Lies-era voice:

In later interviews, Axl Rose stated that while he loved how the band sounded on the last four songs, he hated the sound of his voice. Rose recalled that his voice was husky and scratchy from the band's lengthy touring at the time, and if he could he would have re-recorded his vocal tracks in a separate session.

Haha, I also listened to some Lies stuff after seeing this thread, and went to Wiki as well. Had forgotten about this quote, just funny because everybody loves Axl's Lies-era voice:

In later interviews, Axl Rose stated that while he loved how the band sounded on the last four songs, he hated the sound of his voice. Rose recalled that his voice was husky and scratchy from the band's lengthy touring at the time, and if he could he would have re-recorded his vocal tracks in a separate session.

That is pretty funny. Honestly, I always hear people say how much they Axl's Lies voice as well, and while I don't think its bad, I've just never thought it was outstanding. Listening to it tonight, I nearly got chills listening to One In A Million. I've heard these songs hundreds of times, and just tonight I thought "holy fuck, he sounds awesome here!" I always loved the end of Patience, but I never gave it much thought. He sounds absolutely killer on You're Crazy as well. Axl's wrong, this is maybe the best he's ever sounded and I can't believe I'm just hearing it now, even though Lies is my personal favorite album. It just never clicked like that for me before.

I always thought she was saying "hey". I've wondered who the chick on The Garden was though. That and the "bitches" in Coma.

Ha!ha! I've always wonder exactly what n all those bitches are saying in Coma.

To me it sounds like Are you listening to me Axl,it's me Mandy,no,dint walk away from,get back over here,something about Appetite For Destruction, all the time, all I ever hear is sex sex sex I can't take this shit anymore

Then of course I love you.

I've always wonder if this is what goes on in Axl's head.Everybody just going a mile a minute talking to him from every direction?

Edited by SweetRose

I've always wondered about it. As well as the garden. But never really paid no mind to it. Definitely a chick.and she's definitely saying something. Why or what. Maybe we'll never know. I doubt anyone there for sessions would recall something so small. So good luck getting to the bottom of it

• 1 month later...