GN´R Songs in movies

Padme

My question about The Dead Pool. I know Axl hated that movie. He said so during a show in Philly in 88. But since they made a cameo I´d like to know what was like for them. Did they meet Clint Eastwood, Jim Carey or Liam Nesson?

Also the controversy around Black Hawk Down and WTTJ as part of the soundtrack. Apparently Axl wanted a private show first. Things didn´t go smoothy since it wasn´t very private after all. Axl blamed and fired Tom Zutaut for that. Is that correct? This is something I read in Classic Rock magazine.

Ridley Scott wanted to use WTTJ for the scene where everybody is getting ready and the helicopters start taking off in Black Hawk Down, as that was the song that was actually playing on the loudspeakers at the airfield as the rangers and delta force loaded into their vehicles before the mission. Axl insisted that they use a rerecorded WTTJ with his new band. Scott wasn't interested, he only really wanted to use the song for historical accuracy and a rerecorded song from 2000 whatever would not work with a movie set in 1993, not to mention rerecorded songs are plain stupid in the first place, so he said fuck it and they used a Faith No More song instead.

Edited by sweetness

Tom told me that he set it up but that there was a communication breakdown between him and Beta and that Axl didn't get the right info. Also there was other problems with Tom and Axl. Axl didn't want Tom to still have communication with Slash while he was working with GNR and Toms phone rang while AXl was with him and the caller Id said Slash. There could be some other things that happened too.

I'm pretty sure that band met Clint Eastwood. I think I remember seeing a photo with them together. The band was happy to be working on the movie because it was a Dirty Harry movie but the movie ended up sucking.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for their answers. This whole thing is hilarious and bizarre at the same time. Ridley Scott wanted the original WTTJ, Axl wanted a new band version, miscomunication between Beta and Tom and if all that wasn´t enough mayhem Slash had to call. Great sense timing that Slash had!

:rofl-lol:

Im sure scott used a re-recorded voodoo chile for the helicopter scene. Not sure why he'd put that in there if he was against re-recorded material.

Yeah it was a Stevie Ray Vaughn cover of Voodoo Child that was released in 1984, so still appropriate for the 1993 setting. WTTJ was supposed to be played right before it

To me that was such a waste of money not to use the AFD WTTJ. If someone wants to pay you money to use a song that is already recorded for a movie and pay you a lot of money and you say no, then something is really wrong. The only reason I would be

against using a song in a movie is if it was in a rape scene or something like that. They don't have a life time supply of money and one day they are going to look back and wish that they would have worked together on more of these licensing deals.

• Like 1