AFD to be re-released as Blu-Ray Audio

Ubertrout

This is actually great news. A full remaster would be nice too.

Considering the current release of AFD is still the Barry Diament- perfectly mastered one, it is not needed at all. A complete remixing, that's what would benefit the album.

Reviews for the BD-Audio albums have been mixed...the harsh reviews have been for Nevermind (the 20th anniversary mix was a brickwalled hot mess) and a few others. However, others like In Utero have gotten very positive reviews.

I'd be shocked if it's not the original album. This is the record company's initiative, not GNR's.

The issue with a 5.1 mix isn't the availability of the masters, it's a matter of initiative and getting approval from the band (this isn't inside information, btw).

According to one of the books, I think Slash's, UYI was originally supposed to be recorded for surround. Fun random fact. Those albums would probably benefit more than AFD with a surround mix.

And as for people caring...I can assure you that people do. This release doesn't matter if you listen on iPhone earbuds or PC speakers, but it matters a lot if you have a decent system or better.

Pure Audio boss says this:

"the way it works is usually we identify a list of preferred titles, then we go to see if technically we have it, and then we go and talk to the artist, explaining what we’re doing. We show them examples of what we’ve released, we make them listen to it, [and ask] “is that okay with you?” then we start production. That’s usually how it works."

Now imagine Axl being confrontated with an official re-release having Slash on it? cant see this turning out for real, sorry.
but there are indeed killer sounding quality(!!) releases from AFD already, check the MFSL discs!!

Pure Audio boss says this:

"the way it works is usually we identify a list of preferred titles, then we go to see if technically we have it, and then we go and talk to the artist, explaining what we’re doing. We show them examples of what we’ve released, we make them listen to it, [and ask] “is that okay with you?” then we start production. That’s usually how it works."

Now imagine Axl being confrontated with an official re-release having Slash on it? cant see this turning out for real, sorry.

but there are indeed killer sounding quality(!!) releases from AFD already, check the MFSL discs!!

I think Axl's open to having a new remaster done because he cares a lot about sound quality. He should just download AFD and listen to them through the headphones he's endorsing. To me, UYI needs an overhaul, and AFD just needs some tweaks here and there.

According to one of the books, I think Slash's, UYI was originally supposed to be recorded for surround. Fun random fact. Those albums would probably benefit more than AFD with a surround mix.

Those really cool parts where Axl pans from speaker to speaker in Estranged and Coma would be awesome in surround.

There's still no release date for this

What a surprise. :rolleyes:

:lol: What a joke. So all we have to talk about are a bunch of fucking items coming out, with no release date?

This why I don't buy GNR merchandise anymore. No to tickets to shows as well. Joke, a fucking joke.

Edited by ARBeast
  • Like 1

Those really cool parts where Axl pans from speaker to speaker in Estranged and Coma would be awesome in surround.

QFT

There's still no release date for this

What a surprise. :rolleyes:

:lol: What a joke. So all we have to talk about are a bunch of fucking items coming out, with no release date?

This why I don't buy GNR merchandise anymore. No to tickets to shows as well. Joke, a fucking joke.

inb4 Complaints Complaints Complaints

• 1 year later...

This obviously never materialized. However, someone just posted the dynamic range of the Universal blu-ray audio sampler disc that includes Welcome to the Jungle, and it's substantially more dynamic than the AFD CD release . Pity we never got the whole album.

Yep but DR isn't everything. The Barry Diament mastered standard CD, currently in print, is honestly pretty much as good as it gets. Even the MFSL doesn't sound as good.

But having AFD in 24/96 would be awesome, I wholeheartedly agree.

This obviously never materialized. However, someone just posted the dynamic range of the Universal blu-ray audio sampler disc that includes Welcome to the Jungle, and it's substantially more dynamic than the AFD CD release . Pity we never got the whole album.

Yep but DR isn't everything. The Barry Diament mastered standard CD, currently in print, is honestly pretty much as good as it gets. Even the MFSL doesn't sound as good.

I would prefer the 24/96 version over cash grab tours with new members or former members (aka reunion)

Totally agreed, DR isn't everything. But the fact that Welcome to the Jungle is even more dynamic than the CD, which was already pretty well mastered, suggests that the 24/96 version would sound even better than the current CD version, regardless of whether 24/96 confers additional benefits. I agree we can't know for sure, but I'd really like to find out.