If 1992 Axl had his 2016 voice

gnfnr2k

Yes his voice changed and he does not take as good care of his voice as he probably should. Or has not been doing this for a long time and does it only since recently. Whaterver.  It's not as bad as the majority in this forum wants to make it.

Besides, I wonder what kind of recording the 2016 voice is. Probably not with as good recording technic stuff than the pro video recordings from Tokyo. The whole 2016 sound is like in a can. So to compare Axl's voice you should bear that in mind, too.

I think these videos prove how important the image of GNR is to some people. Personally I don't care, but I think a lot of people are so hard on Axl because his looks have changed as well as his energy on stage. In both those videos, he was running around like a manic and in great shape. What do people expect though? The out ta get me clip from the ritz is my favorite guns performance of all time, vocals added to it 28 years later and it doesn't sound that much different to me. I'm still very pleased with what we're currently getting from the band, hope it continues. 

38 minutes ago, ericy210 said:

This is friggin brilliant!

You ought to post it without saying it has Coachella vocals and write, "remember the good old days"

People would say his voice hasn't sounded that good in 20+ years and how badly the NITL vocals are!

I didn't make it but I remembered him posting it here after Coachella and I thought it was great haha shocked me on those first few lines 

The most impressive part is that the tempo is so close that the audio pretty much syncs up. 

As for the point of the video, I wish I was still 16, but I'm not.  There is pretty much no singer that sounds the same at 55 as they did when they were 29.  Steven Tyler is the best that I've heard in maintaining his "signature sound" well into his 50's. 

Axl still can sound like Axl in the lower registers and the screams.  Perhaps he can still hit the mid range rasp with a lot of effort on occasion but not consistently.  Either that or it hurts to do it.  It's definitely possible that he has done damage to his vocal chords over the years.  Remember that thing he used to do before SCOM on the UYI tour?  I'm sure those types of things add up over time especially if he wasn't using proper technique back then.

3 hours ago, gnfnr2k said:

Enjoy

Wow, lol. That was brutal. I think the fan base would be a touch smaller today If this Is how he actually sounded In 1992.

But I would rather have them back with Axls current voice than not have them around at all.

32 minutes ago, ironmt said:

Wow, lol. That was brutal. I think the fan base would be a touch smaller today If this Is how he actually sounded In 1992.

But I would rather have them back with Axls current voice than not have them around at all.

Last gig. 

1992 :

Axl low voice is almost the same, that's why outta get me sounds ok, but his high voice is mickey mouse. And it was mickey 2001. Why?  We don't know. 

Edited by 2414225

On 7/2/2017 at 4:51 PM, Gnrcane said:

The most impressive part is that the tempo is so close that the audio pretty much syncs up.

Whoever did this has fine editing skills and made it look like the tempo is so close that the audio pretty much syncs up

NO, NO, NO.

It actually does NOT fit.

The 2016 guns n aliens band (axl, slash, duff and 4 aliens) plays all the GNR songs in "speedy versions"

Guns n Roses live recordings are not that fast

So it's safe to say that the editor had to carefully remove many frames here and there in order to make the audio fit to the video.

On 7/4/2017 at 2:46 PM, fanfzero said:

And just after doing that video I did this one 

Two things.

1) Cool video! Thanks for sharing

2) Axl's voice in 1988 was great on Sweet Child. It wasn't until the 90's performances that his voice on this song starts to irratate me.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2017 at 9:48 AM, ludurigan said:

Whoever did this has fine editing skills and made it look like the tempo is so close that the audio pretty much syncs up

NO, NO, NO.

It actually does NOT fit.

The 2016 guns n aliens band (axl, slash, duff and 4 aliens) plays all the GNR songs in "speedy versions"

Guns n Roses live recordings are not that fast

So it's safe to say that the editor had to carefully remove many frames here and there in order to make the audio fit to the video.

No frames removed, I only slowed down the 2016 audio a bit with vegas to match the Tokyo video, and to my suprise sync was almost perfect.

37 minutes ago, fanfzero said:

No frames removed, I only slowed down the 2016 audio a bit with vegas to match the Tokyo video, and to my suprise sync was almost perfect.

ok, same thing as removing frames basically

Edited by ludurigan

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2017 at 3:51 PM, Gnrcane said:

As for the point of the video, I wish I was still 16, but I'm not.  There is pretty much no singer that sounds the same at 55 as they did when they were 29.  Steven Tyler is the best that I've heard in maintaining his "signature sound" well into his 50's. 

Axl still can sound like Axl in the lower registers and the screams.  Perhaps he can still hit the mid range rasp with a lot of effort on occasion but not consistently.  Either that or it hurts to do it.  It's definitely possible that he has done damage to his vocal chords over the years.  Remember that thing he used to do before SCOM on the UYI tour?  I'm sure those types of things add up over time especially if he wasn't using proper technique back then.

Agreed that Steven has maintained his "sound" well....but....his signature "sound' as we know it, didn't come until the 80s. Especially if you listen to the first Aerosmith album, his vocal sound changed a lot from then, until the sound of "Permanent Vacation." I really don't see how most front-men couldn't change from all the vocals used year in/year out, and getting older as well. Even guys like James Hetfield has changed somewhat as he's gotten older too, and he really doesn't hit the "high notes."