The Stooges

ffrankwhite

i've probably said something similar to this before and if im repeating myself its only because...i've listened to this band for fucking years and i cant get over how...enduring they are, it is simply amazing.

if i had my way, they'd issue Funhouse in the fucking mail, if i had my way they start school off with Raw Power in the morning like here, take that, deal with that, if i had my way i'd 50,000 megaton speakers and stick them strategically at the highest peaks of this planet and blow the fucking world away to the tune of Down On The Street, this band, in their day and to this day and simply untouchable.

i just can't get over how fucking perfect everything they did was...even their first album which is considered pretty fucking sedate relative to what they were capable of is just a fucking masterpiece. 1969, delicious fucking Ron Asheton riff, and Iggy just fucking embodying the times with his lyrics...No Fun, how can songs be so utterly fucking simple and so enduring, its about fucking boredom but its...its like an exorcism of boredom, its a release, like so much of punk rock after the stooges that sang about boredom, it wasnt wallowing in it, it WAS the remedy. I Wannabe Your Dog, FUCK ME!!!!! have you ever heard a song like it since??? so fucking forceful, so well paced, lyrically so stripped and primal, sheer perfection, no nonsense...even the rest of the album, most of which was rush written by Iggy and the boys Little Doll, Not Right, just fucking intense.

and Funhouse, JESUS LORD, what can be said about Funhouse, i dont even know where to begin, i could praise that fucking album til the cows come home and still not even touch upon the point im REALLY trying to make. Down On The Street is just so fucking...grimy. again, a pretty paced song but a lot of the stooges stuff was like that...just made it come across like getting beaten up, yes, the stooges are the sonic equivlent to an ass kicking but so joyous and vibrant and alive and existential. Loose, the fucking song is like...that raging fucking Asheton riff, sleazy sounding, claustrophobic and yet fucking BURSTING with energy, its so frenetic. TV Eye, builds and builds, Iggy fucking ROARING, its so fucking delicious...just that old Cinncinati Pop clip, Iggy prowling the fucking stage like a panther, eyes fixed, upright like some kind of Greek God, staring out into the world like he fuckin owns it (and he does)...he is the most incredible performer i've ever seen. Dirt is like the audio equivlent of a swamp, every song is just an utter masterpiece.

Raw Power is a band on the fucking brink, its plays like a nuclear explosion, every song on it is totally perfect, the 97 Iggy mix which is all that’s available now (it was originally mixed or mis-mixed by David Bowie) is so fucking amped and metallic and perfect. From the moment its starts til its denouement, it is totally crazed and, despite knowing that this album, at least commercially would destroy the stooges the took the final jump off of the cliff running at breakneck speed.

There has never been a live band like the stooges, there has never been a frontman with Iggys earnest energy, from confronting the audience who, til their last gigs threw coins, eggs, stones, shoes, bottles, you name it at the band Iggy and the Stooges confronted them with gusto and never ONCE walked off under condition where ANY band would have left, the stooges came to bring it and they fuckin gave it to you and took whatever you had to give. Iggy gave his blood, his heart, his sweat, his passion, his music, his sanity and nearly his life to this band and if you think im fucking exaggerating you read up on this shit, it’s a lot MORE than I am making out here.

This is the most important American band of all, the most relevant, the most intense, the most honest, the most real, the most disturbing, this IS rock n roll fulfilling its every promise, subversive, abrasive, psychotic, fun, exhilarating, sexually charged and totally totally uncompromising.

fans? :D

Edited by ffrankwhite

The Sex Pistols were also the most important band from England too right?

i'd say Beatles but hey :lol:

on topic man, stooges stooges stooges :)

:lol: alright

Well personally I do prefer Iggy's solo stuff, it's a much more organised/polished sound; as apposed to the Stooges where it sounds like they just walked into the room and Ron Asheton started beating out some simple Bar-chord Riff and they went crazy for 5 minutes. Sure they had some fairly alternative songs like Sick of You and Gimme Danger, but their off-the-wall metal/punk mashes with too much distortion just weren't my cup of tea.

They are great, but the most important ever? I doubt it, sorry Frankie :tongue2:

i cant think of a single band out of america that informed and whoose imprint is blatantly visible in the history of rock n roll after their inception and up to this day, can you?

@paincake: those simple bar chord riffs to me are like...hypnotic perfection. they did some insanely experimental stuff too...involving a food blenders amongst other things :lol:

Edited by ffrankwhite

They are great, but the most important ever? I doubt it, sorry Frankie :tongue2:

i cant think of a single band out of america that informed and whoose imprint is blatantly visible in the history of rock n roll after their inception and up to this day, can you?

The Velvet Underground.

But, yeah, I love The Stooges, got all their albums, and each and every one of them are perfect or nearly perfect.

The Velvet Underground.

But, yeah, I love The Stooges, got all their albums, and each and every one of them are perfect or nearly perfect.

i agree but the velvets were more...detached from rock n roll than the stooges were, theres a definite intellectual element to the velvets that...the stooges were outside of, a more instinctive free-form thing thats more in the spirit of rock n roll. and i dont quite think that the velvets influence and imprint is AS apparent in the state of rock n roll today as the stooges. its a marginal thing but i think the stooges got em. especially since punk rock and how the stooges sort of predate the whole thing and how punk rock kinda filters in all its various ways into the sound of rock n roll.

The Velvet Underground.

i agree but the velvets were more...detached from rock n roll than the stooges were, theres a definite intellectual element to the velvets that...the stooges were outside of, a more instinctive free-form thing thats more in the spirit of rock n roll. and i dont quite think that the velvets influence and imprint is AS apparent in the state of rock n roll today as the stooges. its a marginal thing but i think the stooges got em. especially since punk rock and how the stooges sort of predate the whole thing and how punk rock kinda filters in all its various ways into the sound of rock n roll.

Most people that has done something major for rock within the late 60s up until today has cited VU & Nico as a huge influence, I mean, guys like Nirvana isn't really a shocker, but even James goddamn Hetfield has cited it as one of his favorite albums. It's just so cool the way VU were writing songs about heroin and S&M while most other musicians had flowers in their hair and talked about eternal love and all that.

Can't argue about The Stooges' influence of punk, but VU heavily influenced glam rock artists like Bowie, and if it wasn't for Bowie and glam rock, we wouldn't have had GN'R, and, unfortunately, glam- and hairmetal. You don't really see as much glam influences in todays music as you see punk, but if there's a band that can compare to The Stooges in sheer influence, it's The Velvet Underground.

Edited by Lithium

The Velvet Underground.

Most people that has done something major for rock within the late 60s up until today has cited VU & Nico as a huge influence, I mean, guys like Nirvana isn't really a shocker, but even James goddamn Hetfield has cited it as one of his favorite albums. It's just so cool the way VU were writing songs about heroin and S&M while most other musicians had flowers in their hair and talked about eternal love and all that.

Can't argue about The Stooges' influence of punk, but VU heavily influenced glam rock artists like Bowie, and if it wasn't for Bowie and glam rock, we wouldn't have had GN'R, and, unfortunately, glam- and hairmetal. You don't really see as much glam influences in todays music as you see punk, but if there's a band that can compare to The Stooges in sheer influence, it's The Velvet Underground.

yeah, you're totally right man. in terms of people like Hetfield though, im sure VU were a great influence on em (they were on the stooges too as a matter of fact i mean Cale produced the stooges first album but its different because 1) they were contemporaries 2) they were sonically very different too) for what little of metallicas music i've been privy too, sonically at least i could hear more stooges there than VU, thats not to say the stooges were more or less of an influence, my point is that more overtly the stooges can be heard everywhere. the stooges were the far end of the extreme of S&M and Heroin as opposed to flowers and eternal love and amazingly still, they were more palletable because of their basic 3 chord (sometimes two :lol:) atypical rock n roll structure. and as far as the glam thing, iggy influenced the fuck out of Bowie and true, without Bowie we wouldn't have guns but Bowies whole Ziggy Stardust thing was a take on Iggy basically. Iggy didn't mind because Bowie did a lot for him, true collaborators as they were but thats an iggy carbon right there and its no secret either, Bowie admits to being enamoured by iggy and his "take of existentialist america" and how he thought that they didnt have that in england. and in terms of Guns its like, hell, they covered iggy on TSI. Iggy was always very Glam too and, ok, a great deal of that had to do with the glitter scene and everything but his garish fucking take on it took it to places that no one else had. but i totally do get what you're saying and i agree as well but im just kind of expanding on it as opposed to like, counter-arguing, in case what im trying to say here gets kinda lost in translation, i totally agree with you :)

yeah, you're totally right man. in terms of people like Hetfield though, im sure VU were a great influence on em (they were on the stooges too as a matter of fact i mean Cale produced the stooges first album but its different because 1) they were contemporaries 2) they were sonically very different too) for what little of metallicas music i've been privy too, sonically at least i could hear more stooges there than VU, thats not to say the stooges were more or less of an influence, my point is that more overtly the stooges can be heard everywhere. the stooges were the far end of the extreme of S&M and Heroin as opposed to flowers and eternal love and amazingly still, they were more palletable because of their basic 3 chord (sometimes two :lol:) atypical rock n roll structure. and as far as the glam thing, iggy influenced the fuck out of Bowie and true, without Bowie we wouldn't have guns but Bowies whole Ziggy Stardust thing was a take on Iggy basically. Iggy didn't mind because Bowie did a lot for him, true collaborators as they were but thats an iggy carbon right there and its no secret either, Bowie admits to being enamoured by iggy and his "take of existentialist america" and how he thought that they didnt have that in england. and in terms of Guns its like, hell, they covered iggy on TSI. Iggy was always very Glam too and, ok, a great deal of that had to do with the glitter scene and everything but his garish fucking take on it took it to places that no one else had. but i totally do get what you're saying and i agree as well but im just kind of expanding on it as opposed to like, counter-arguing, in case what im trying to say here gets kinda lost in translation, i totally agree with you :)

Sure, you can hear them everywhere, but I don't think The Stooges is as much of a direct influence as The Velvet Underground - for example, Metallica was influenced by Sex Pistols, which in turn, was influenced by The Stooges.

As for Bowie, I don't really agree - if it wasn't for The Velvet Underground, all the genres Bowie turned his head to, like glam rock, krautrock, and even art rock, would not have existed.

Sure, you can hear them everywhere, but I don't think The Stooges is as much of a direct influence as The Velvet Underground - for example, Metallica was influenced by Sex Pistols, which in turn, was influenced by The Stooges.

As for Bowie, I don't really agree - if it wasn't for The Velvet Underground, all the genres Bowie turned his head to, like glam rock, krautrock, and even art rock, would not have existed.

i agree about the direct thing, you're definitely right there, its kind of something thats filtered down but point being at the top of the mountain are the stooges but i see your point. on the bowie thing, all those genres that bowie turned his head to, the ones you mentioned, less so i suppose with glam, in regards to his being an influence on bands like guns, the stooges sort of take on glam, that metallic amped rock n rolley take on glam is more what guns are as opposed to anything Bowie ever was except at the times where he was doing what iggy did with the whole ziggy stardust thing.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

@paincake: those simple bar chord riffs to me are like...hypnotic perfection. they did some insanely experimental stuff too...involving a food blenders amongst other things :lol:

I was going to say Velvet Undergrond and Lynyrd Skynyrd, but maybe they doesn't count as Rock N' Roll.

I was going to say Velvet Undergrond and Lynyrd Skynyrd, but maybe they doesn't count as Rock N' Roll.

Skynyrd can't compare influential-wise to VU or The Stooges.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Skynyrd can't compare influential-wise to VU or The Stooges.

You've probably right, you knows more about these things then me.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I thought Sabbath was from UK. I must have missunderstood something. Isn't Ozzy from Birmingham?

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Sabbath is a English band.

Most of the members of Skynyrd were Canadian though.

i think you're thinking of The Band. Skynyrd were from Jacksonville, FL.

my vote goes to CCR.

what Credence as the most important american band? c'mon man, more so than the stooges?

Sabbath is a English band.

Most of the members of Skynyrd were Canadian though.

i think you're thinking of The Band. Skynyrd were from Jacksonville, FL.

my vote goes to CCR.

what Credence as the most important american band? c'mon man, more so than the stooges?

i love ya to death frank, but i don't share you reverence for the punk stuff. when it comes to punk; give me the Ramones.

i have a couple of friends from other band that have a side project called Stoogaphilia. they're a really good Stooges tribute band.

i'll tell ya what, i'll try to find some Stooges today and give it a beer and a listen.

Edited by artfromtex