Sweden Rock Festival

Guest Iron Fist SS

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Like it or not, I'll have a thread for this festival for 2009 too. This year won't be the worst ever. They've already got more good bands then last time, and they've just introduced a few so far.

In Flames (Sweden)

Heaven & Hell (UK/USA)

Dream Theater (USA)

Europe (Sweden)

Foreigner (USA)

Hammerfall (Sweden)

Motörhead (UK/Sweden)

Lita Ford (USA)

Uriah Heep (UK)

Marillion (UK)

Amon Amarth (Sweden)

Riot (USA)

Blackfoot (USA)

Soilwork (Sweden)

Forbidden (USA)

The Outlaws (USA)

The Tubes (USA)

Bullet (Sweden)

Seventh Wonder (Sweden)

Stormzone (Irland)

Torch (Sweden)

Enforcer (Sweden)

Out of those I like these: Soilwork, Blackfoot, Uriah Heep, Motörhead, In Flames, Heaven & Hell and Dream Theater. I also enjoy some songs from Hammerfall and Europe.

There will be around 75 bands on this festival and these were the first 22.

I'll update you through the months until we are there in the beginning of June.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Satanisk_Slakt
I can't say I'm that interested in the bands that have been announced though...

Are you kidding me? Motörhead is one of the best liveact on this planet. They are always interesting. I've seen them many times (They come to SRF about every second year) and they never disappoint me.

Heaven And Hell is great too. They were at SRF 2007. Dream Theatre will be awesome. Haven't seen them yet.

Blackfoot are almost as good as Molly Hatchet. Do I need to say more about them?

I can't say I'm that interested in the bands that have been announced though...

Are you kidding me? Motörhead is one of the best liveact on this planet. They are always interesting. I've seen them many times (They come to SRF about every second year) and they never disappoint me.

Heaven And Hell is great too. They were at SRF 2007. Dream Theatre will be awesome. Haven't seen them yet.

Blackfoot are almost as good as Molly Hatchet. Do I need to say more about them?

I'm seeing Motörhead in a couple of weeks so maybe I'll be more interested in them after that... Heaven & Hell would be cool and I've been meaning to take a listen to Blackfoot for some time now. What I meant was that I don't listen to any of the bands, hence why I'm not really interested. Of course if I was there I'd go take a look at several of the bands but I'm not interested enough to get a ticket.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Aha. Don't you visit any of the big festivals? Peace & Love or Hultsfred?

You should know, that if you go to SRF, you'll want to go back there every year for the rest of your life. It's addictive.

Aha. Don't you visit any of the big festivals? Peace & Love or Hultsfred?

You should know, that if you go to SRF, you'll want to go back there every year for the rest of your life. It's addictive.

I went to Where The Action Is in Stockholm last year but that was only a one day thing so it doesn't count... I was going to go to SRF the year that Aerosmith played their but my friend couldn't go so that didn't happen. It's been like that most of the times :P I really wanted to go to Peace & Love last year, and Hultfred's been having quite awful line-ups the last few years (although I wanted to go when VR played there).

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Now they've written some information of the bands in English too.

HEAVEN & HELL (UK)

Their performance at SRF 2007 was a triumph: now they're returning for another exclusive Swedish appearance! Heaven & Hell, formerly known as the Black Sabbath who gave us the timeless album classics "Heaven and Hell" (1980), "Mob Rules" (1981", "Live Evil" (1982) and later "Dehumanizer" (1992) - the heaviest Black Sabbath record of all time. This March Ronnie James Dio, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice will release their highly anticipated "debut" as Heaven & Hell, or if you will, the first studio album from Black Sabbath in fourteen and a half years! But perhaps we should point out once more that no 70s-songs will be played. Heaven & Hell directs the spotlight exclusively at Sabbath's Dio-era: an initiative that is being lauded by the entire heavy.

IN FLAMES (S)

Sweden's biggest metal band returns to SRF for the first time since 2004! Talk about anticipation! And if you're an In Flames-fan, you have twice the reason not to miss their appearance at the festival, since this will be their only Swedish performance for the entire spring and summer. So there will certainly be a tremendous atmosphere, not to mention an immense number of people when the most successful "Gothenburg sound"-band of them all takes the stage. With seven-figure album-sales in Sweden alone, and hitting the #1-spot with last year's "A Sense of Purpose"-album, In Flames are arguably bigger and more popular than ever.

DREAM THEATER (US)

One of the most influential hard rock bands of our time? You bet. The world was awestruck when Dream Theater, at the peak of the alternative rock wave, got their break with a type of music so technical, so thoroughly crafted that its like had not been heard since the 70s and symphonic rock. Albums like "Images and Words" (1992), "Awake" (1994) and "Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory" (1999) are milestones of what today is known as prog metal, and Dream Theater-fans still look forward to each new release with equal anticipation. It is indeed flattering that the band has chosen to start their entire European tour at SRF, as their sole Scandinavian concert in 2009 no less. Could this possibly have something to do with the amazing reception the quintet got at their last visit at SRF in 2005?

EUROPE (S)

Here's a "welcome back" from us to Sweden's most successful hard rock band of all time! Europe, who ruled the charts in the 80s with such hits as "Rock the Night", "Superstitious" and the seminal "The Final Countdown" chose, to the grief of many, to call it quits in 1992, only to resurface in 2004 with a new album and, not least, a headliner performance at SRF. We then got to se a Europe reborn, going for a more mature approach than their former hair metal-ways. This May will see the release of the band's third album since their reunion, which means some new and exciting material to look forward to during Europe's second performance at SRF. Obviously to complement the classics - not replace them.

FOREIGNER (US)

One of this year's most exclusive additions to SRF? Not only is Foreigner one of the biggest names in AOR-history, they have also only played in Sweden once before, in 1991. Since their 1977 debut, the band's history has produced such hits as "Cold as Ice", "Juke Box Hero", "Urgent", and of course "I Want to Know What Love Is". The latter ballad was arguably the biggest hit of all categories in the winter of '84-'85, made it to #1 virtually everywhere, and was the inevitable slow dance closer in all of Sweden for the entire season. Guitarist Mick Jones remains the leader and mainstay of Foreigner, currently with the aid of such hard rock-celebrities as vocalist Kelly Hansen and bassist Jeff Pilson. This spring will also see the release of the band's first studio album since 1994, making SRF 2009 a welcome return in several ways. Needless to say, this will be the only Swedish Foreigner-concert of the year.

HAMMERFALL (S)

Sweden's traditional metal-heroes number one obviously need no introduction. However, it's worth mentioning again that we're about to witness a greatly renewed line-up of Hammerfall. Bassist Fredrik Larsson, who played on the classic debut "Glory to the Brave" (1997), makes his welcome return to the band. Guitarist Pontus Norgren, on the other hand, is brand new, but his brilliant guitar playing is previously familiar from bands like Accept (very nearly, anyway...), Talisman, and most recently The Poodles. Singer Joacim Cans, guitarist Oscar Dronjak and drummer Anders Johansson are naturally present as usual, and February 21st marks the release date of this line-up's first and Hammerfall's seventh studio album "No Sacrifice, No Victory". Word has it we're in for a small sensation, bound to delight the old fans - and shock a heap of new ones.

MOTÖRHEAD (UK)

Well, where would you find Lemmy & Co if not in the metal cauldron in Norje... Several people have appointed Motörhead something of SRF's very own house band. This may not be literally true, but it is still flattering and amazing to see the trio returning to the festival so regularly. That the audience also shows up every single time is not equally amazing, but quite natural. Few bands can boast a live energy and songs of comparable caliber. Seeing Motörhead at SRF also has another advantage: then, and only then, you get the lightshow with the legendary "Bomber"-plane as an added bonus. Naturally, 2009 will be no exception.

LITA FORD (US)

The Runaways made a name of themselves as one of the hottest hard rock bands in the late seventies and had some hits with songs like "Cherry Bomb" and "Non Angels On The Road To Ruin". The saga only lasted four years before the gals went their separate ways. Guitarist Lita Ford started a quite successful solo career with albums like "Out For Blood", "Dancin' On The Edge" and "Lita", not to forget the duet with Ozzy Osbourne - "Close My Eyes Forever". Lita has had quite a long break from the rock stage, but she's finally back in action and will rock Sweden, her only show in Scandinavia.

URIAH HEEP (UK)

A band could hardly be more legendary than Uriah Heep. Since their 1970 debut they have not only produced a multitude of immortal classics - such as "Easy Livin'", "Gypsy" and "Lady in Black" - but their influence on the younger generations is noticeable even in modern day power metal and black metal. Over the years, the band has endured bad times and even tragedies, but today these things seem thankfully distant. Uriah Heep's current album "Wake the Sleeper" - their first in ten years - have got a great reception from the audience, so this exceptional live band with guitarist Mick Box at the helm may be even giddier than usual at their first SRF-performance in six years.

MARILLION (UK)

Many have waited, now the time has finally come. British Marillion, the biggest "neo-prog"-band of the 80s by far, have always had many and loyal admirers in Sweden. Many people still recall their singles from the mid-80s, featuring current solo artist Fish on vocals. However, Marillion's present singer Steve Hogarth have now spent two decades in the band - two decades when the band's line-up has remained as solid as a rock. Marillion are also renowned for their remarkable bonds to their audience, as well as their uncompromising attitude towards their craft. Those qualities have made them one of progressive rock's most popular and enduring bands. Don't miss their one and only Scandinavian performance in 2009!

AMON AMARTH (S)

The metal Vikings from Stockholm with their striking hybrid of death metal and classic, thunderous heavy metal keeps getting bigger and bigger. Their seventh and latest album "Twilight of the Thunder God" rode high on the charts not only in Sweden, but also in Germany and even the United States. Amon Amarth are renowned for their ability to vary themselves with the musical quality intact, which of course is one of the reasons for them just getting more popular with every album. Another reason is, obviously, that they are an excellent live-act, and bearded Wildman Johan Hegg is a front-man who brings down the wrath of God (or gods?).

RIOT (US)

One of the most classic US-metal bands of all time! Riot's debut arrived in 1977, and their oldest fans still consider the band's earliest line-up with singer Guy Speranza (RIP) to be their best. To the younger, or possibly the tougher crowd, it is another line-up that represents the golden age of Riot: the one of the late 80s, responsible for the colossal cult classic "Thundersteel" (1988) plus "The Privilege of Power" (1990). Which is the very line-up we're about to see at Riot's sole Scandinavian performance in 2009 - actually their very first concert in Sweden. If you like your heavy metal classic and blazing, you certainly shouldn't miss Mark Reale (guitar), Bobby Jarzombek (drums), Don Van Stavern (bass), Mike Flyntz (guitar) and Tony Moore (vocals) at SRF 2009! Can we assume that the recently Hammerfall-covered "Flight of the Warrior" is part of the setlist?

BLACKFOOT (US)

Southern Rock and Sweden Rock is a match made in heaven. This has been proved by bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet and even Blackfoot, when the band visited Sweden Rock the last time. Blackfoot was formed in 1970 in Florida and made their debut four years later with the album "No Reservations". It was however not until the mid-eighties with albums like "Tomcattin" and "Marauder" and a spot on the Monsters Of Rock in 1981, the band really started making a name of themselves. Now it's again time for Bobby Barth, Charlie Hargrett and Greg T Walker to spread some southern flavour on Swedish soil, the band's only gig in Sweden this summer.

SOILWORK (S)

Mighty Swedes Soilwork rank among the great trendsetters in modern brutal music, on a national and international level. Without exaggeration, their debut performance at SRF has been greatly anticipated! Not least because the band recently welcomed former guitarist and main composer Peter Wichers back into the fold, which was greeted enthusiastically by the fans who didn't quite appreciate the more melodic sound on last year's Soilwork album "Sworn to a Great Divide". But now the old Soilwork-feel is back, and the next record will be hard, technical and thrashing like in the early days, assure Wichers, vocalist Björn "Speed" Strid, drum-god Dirk Verbeuren and the others. Live, however, Soilwork will remain the same - they give everything from the very first chord.

FORBIDDEN (US)

Forbidden was one of the most respected - and best - bands of "the second wave" of Bay Area thrash metal in the late 80s. Such classic albums as "Forbidden Evil" (1988) and "Twisted Into Form" (1990) are essential to the collection of any thrash enthusiast. Forbidden folded in 1997, but decided to get back on the road again ten years later, featuring four fifths of their classic line-up - including vocalist Russ Anderson. Those concerts were a tremendous success, and the band decided to extend their reunion and, possibly, record new material eventually. To the lovers of thrash, the band's one and only concert in Sweden for this tour will definitely be one of the festival's highlights - can you say "moshpit"..?

THE OUTLAWS (US)

The Outlaws is a southern rock band from Tampa, Florida that has never before played Sweden Rock despite the band being formed already back in 1967 and made their debut in 1975. About time, at least judging from the requests we have received. With their massive three headed guitar army they have toured with bands like Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Rolling Stones and The Who. Guitarist and singer Henry Paul and drummer Monte Yoho were in the band already on the first albums and are also found in today's line-up. The world has seen a bunch of classic live albums, one being The Outlaws "Bring It Back Alive" from 1978. The band's only gig in Scandinavia.

THE TUBES (US)

The Tubes started in 1969 as a bunch of high school friends in Phoenix, Arizona. They relocated to San Francisco and started making a name of themselves as an outrageous theatrical rock band with front man Fee Waybill. Fee sometimes entered the stage as Quay Lewd on his gigantic boots with a Q-shaped guitar and a crazy wig where he totally flipped out. Tap-dancing, various parodies and dancers frequented the stage during a Tubes show. Even though the band had their most active time in the 70s and 80s they released a new live album in 2005. The only gig in Scandinavia.

SEVENTH WONDER (S)

Seventh Wonder are from Stockholm, Sweden and play progressive metal the "old" way - i.e. in the advanced, technical fashion made popular by Dream Theater in the early 90s. But unlike many others who have trodden the same path, Seventh Wonder have never forgotten that technique is just the means to an end, and that good songs is what's really important. This healthy attitude has gained them support slots with such heroes as Queensrÿche, Pagan's Mind and Testament, and that their albums have been praised by critics and fans alike. Their third and latest offering, "Mercy Falls", arrived in September 2008 and indicates that Seventh Wonder may be one of the brightest hopes for the future of Swedish metal.

BULLET (S)

This is the band behind one of the most recognized Swedish hard rock albums of 2008 - "Bite the Bullet" went straight to #3 in Bullet's native country and their fanbase gets bigger every day. And not just in Sweden: Bullet have also been treating the continental audiences with their traditional 80s-heavy metal, bulging with influences from AC/DC, Judas Priest, Accept and Saxon. They have even received airplay on Bruce Dickinson's radio show in Britain! There is no doubt that the band's crowd at SRF 2009 will greatly surpass that of their previous performance in 2006.

STORMZONE (UK)

John Harv Harbison, Stormzone's front man and leader, once sang for cult band Sweet Savage. However, Stormzone's brand of hard rock is more melodic, influenced by the likes of Whitesnake, Deep Purple and Def Leppard. They have also been compared to classic British "hair metal"-acts such as Shy and Tobruk, and received praise for letting their Irish heritage add spice to their sound. Their debut, "Caught in the Act", arrived in 2007, the second album is on the way, and if you like your hard rock melodic you should check Stormzone out.

TORCH (S)

Torch became a classic name during the FWoSHM - First Wave of Swedish Heavy Metal - in the eighties. During their lifetime the band released only a MLP and two albums, but made a permanent mark in the Swedish metal history. Parts of the band have been seen in cover band Eccept, but in 2005 they proclaimed Torch was back in action, which they proved at the Keep It True festival in Germany. Now they will spread some classic Swedish steel at the Sweden Rock festival.

ENFORCER (S)

These young Swedish debutants have been compared to the cult heroes from Sweden's earliest heavy metal era - Heavy Load, Gotham City and the lot. But singer/band leader Olof Wikstrand refuses to call his Enforcer a retro act. What the band plays is simply heavy metal, like they want it and like it's supposed to sound. Period. Still, there are surely a few old metalheads who might shed nostalgic tears of joy over Enforcer's emphatic and classy way of carrying on metal's proudest tradition. And if you think the band's debut "Into the Night" sounds good, their live sound is going to knock you dead!

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Johnny Winter Band are confirmed!

Band20092.jpg

JOHNNY WINTER BAND (US)

If there is a living legend today, it would have to be Johnny Winter. The man from Texas who turns 65 on February 23rd is known as music history's most famous albino, but also and most importantly as one of the most influential blues guitarists in the latter half of the 20th century. Ever since his debut in 1969 he has represented vintage blues - not least his own personal hero Muddy Waters - and sometimes ventured into harder rocking domains, like on his biggest commercial success "Johnny Winter And Live" (1970) with none other than Rick Derringer on second guitar. Winter's latest album "I'm a Bluesman" (2004) was nominated for a Grammy and proved that "the greatest white blues guitarist of all times" was still a force to be reckoned with. Marked by a tough life, Winter nowadays executes his live performances sitting down - something which does not weaken the intensity of his playing in the least. Do not miss one of blues history's greatest on his SRF-debut and only Swedish performance this year!

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Band20092.jpg

JOHNNY WINTER BAND (US)

If there is a living legend today, it would have to be Johnny Winter. The man from Texas who turns 65 on February 23rd is known as music history's most famous albino, but also and most importantly as one of the most influential blues guitarists in the latter half of the 20th century. Ever since his debut in 1969 he has represented vintage blues - not least his own personal hero Muddy Waters - and sometimes ventured into harder rocking domains, like on his biggest commercial success "Johnny Winter And Live" (1970) with none other than Rick Derringer on second guitar. Winter's latest album "I'm a Bluesman" (2004) was nominated for a Grammy and proved that "the greatest white blues guitarist of all times" was still a force to be reckoned with. Marked by a tough life, Winter nowadays executes his live performances sitting down - something which does not weaken the intensity of his playing in the least. Do not miss one of blues history's greatest on his SRF-debut and only Swedish performance this year!

Johnny Winter man...make sure you catch that set!

The guy's fucking amazing live!

I saw him at a festival in '79 with Aerosmith,Ted Nugent,Nazareth and others.

When Johnny came on he captured everyone's attention.

The cops,medical personell...everyone turned and watched his set.

It was one of those concert moments you never forget!

Band20092.jpg

JOHNNY WINTER BAND (US)

Johnny Winter man...make sure you catch that set!

The guy's fucking amazing live!

I saw him at a festival in '79 with Aerosmith,Ted Nugent,Nazareth and others.

When Johnny came on he captured everyone's attention.

The cops,medical personell...everyone turned and watched his set.

It was one of those concert moments you never forget!

... and he sucks now. He recently (like two months ago, max) played my home town ("where are they now" file?) and the guy was a prick, didn't give a shit about being there, and played like 5 sub standard songs.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

4 new bands presented. I do not think any of them are big. I've never heard of them at least.

VOLBEAT (DK)

Back by huge popular demand! Volbeat's appearance at this year's SRF was an astounding success, and confirmed what many already knew - that the band's reputation has reached outside of their native Denmark, and they're in fact becoming new favorites with the Swedish crowds. Understandable. Volbeat's "Elvis meets Metallica"-brand of hard rock is original, has a killer groove, and Michael Poulsen is a topnotch front-man as well as an excellent songwriter. Since last summer the band has also released their third album "Guitar Gangsters & Cadillac Blood", which has become a great success with the Swedish listeners. So most likely Volbeat's crowd will be even bigger, and wilder at SRF 2009 than in 2008.

ERIC SARDINAS (US)

Eric Sardinas was born in Fort Lauderdale, Florida in 1970 and picked up the guitar at the age of six. What ignited his musical fire was really ancient blues from the 20s and 30s - which he claims he's still listening to on a daily basis - and when he also discovered rock' n' roll all the pieces came together and he found his personal style. His debut album "Treat Me Right" arrived in 1999 and has so far been followed by four more releases, most recently "Eric Sardinas and Motor" in February 2008. Today Eric Sardinas ranks among the most exciting and at the same time most traditional blues- and rock guitarists, with an infamously wild stage performance where guitars have a tendency to catch fire... That's rock' n' roll!

THE CHAIR (S/US)

The Chair consist of an American singer and four Swedish musicians firmly rooted in the very earliest dawn of hard rock: Mountain, Ten Years After, Jimi Hendrix, Sir Lord Baltimore, Black Sabbath and Swedish legends November can be found among their influences. The band's eponymous debut was released in June 2008 and was greeted with rave reviews in Sweden, and maybe even more so abroad. It could be worth mentioning that we are not talking about stoner here - that type of music is a modern day invention, whereas The Chair play hard rock the way it actually sounded in the early 70s. A gem for retro lovers of all generations.

H.E.A.T (S)

The premier Swedish debutants of 2008! Such was also the opinion of the listeners of major Swedish metal radio show "Dist", who elected H.e.a.t "newcomers of the year". Which in turn guaranteed the band their position at SRF for the second year in a row. These six young men have in a very short time emerged as something of Sweden's great new hope in classic AOR. The band's debut album "Heat" hit the audience right between the eyes, and their live show gives many a veteran good reason to fear the competition. Before SRF 2009 H.e.a.t is touring Europe with Edguy, not to mention participating in the Swedish Eurovision Song Contest with "1000 Miles". Does anybody doubt that this band is going places?

main200922.jpg

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

... and he sucks now. He recently (like two months ago, max) played my home town ("where are they now" file?) and the guy was a prick, didn't give a shit about being there, and played like 5 sub standard songs.

Really??

wow...what a drag!

I heard he was still doing pretty good shows.

Maybe it was an off night??

The first poster is ready.

SRF_Poster091.jpg

There will be about 50 new bands!

Great bill.. we where planing on going but will hit for Germany and WACKEN open air instead.

They will have a monster bill this year since they are hiting 20 next summer!!! rock4