GNR BILLBOARD #91

axlrod

LOL why does the US buy shitty albums?

No Chinese Democracy tunes ?

Oh_he_mad.jpg?1276649653

Sad thing is, it was probably the Superbowl appearance that dragged the album back into the charts...

GH back in Billboard chart since LAX incident and the Asia tour.

Other reasons could be the Superbowl, MSL, DJ's NFL national anthem, Jack Black's Gulliver's movie, Facebook fans, previous tour, US tour, etc.

If I want to know an Artist/Singer/Band, I usually buy their Greatest Hits if available.

Oh_he_mad.jpg?1276649653

Sad thing is, it was probably the Superbowl appearance that dragged the album back into the charts...

Other reasons could be the Superbowl, MSL, DJ's NFL national anthem, Jack Black's Gulliver's movie, Facebook fans, previous tour, US tour, etc.

If I want to know an Artist/Singer/Band, I usually buy their Greatest Hits if available.

I can't see Ashba fans wanting to buy Guns Greatest hits.

The people who dont know Guns n Roses arent going to know Ashba.

Oh_he_mad.jpg?1276649653

I can't see Ashba fans wanting to buy Guns Greatest hits.

The people who dont know Guns n Roses arent going to know Ashba.

NFL Announcer : Dj Ashba lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses!

My 12 year old nephew watched it and bought Guns Greatest hits without knowing that Dj has joined the band just recently.

Edited by axlrod

I really wish Axl, Slash (and Duff too?) would've won that lawsuit to prevent that album from being released. To me, some of the selections are nonsensical (or their inclusion is, rather). I remember when I first saw it on shelves, it struck me as odd and incomplete. Then later I found out it was not authorized by the pertinent parties in GNR, who actually tried to prevent its release.

"Knockin on Heavens Door" was made famous by the Ritz gig, because that's what GNR released on MTV well before UYI 1&2 came out. MTV played the hell out of that version, and that's the version I will always consider the "primary." But the UYI version on the Greatest Hits... I dunno man. Doesn't feel right.

I digress. But that's just an example of some of the cockamamie selections on that record.

Edited by mindsaber

"Knockin on Heavens Door" was made famous by the Ritz gig, because that's what GNR released on MTV well before UYI 1&2 came out. MTV played the hell out of that version, and that's the version I will always consider the "primary." But the UYI version on the Greatest Hits... I dunno man. Doesn't feel right.

Thats not really how it went...

Edited by SunnyDRE

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Why do you feel you have to legitimize your support of “new” Guns N' Roses by going out of your way to diss previous incarnations? Did you just stand still in Ottawa when they played “Jungle” or “Sweet Child O' Mine”? Credit where credit is due, the old guys had some kick ass songs (and don't forget, Axl was a part of all that). There's this false notion that ridiculing the material of “old” Guns is attacking Slash, Duff, Steven and Izzy. It's attacking Axl's efforts just as much (so the logic behind such jibes is pretty retarded really).

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

Thats not really how it went...

How did it go then? If I got the timeframe wrong, forgive me. I do remember noticing Steven was in the video even though he was no longer in the band. GNR released an officially MTV sanctioned video of Knockin on Heaven's Door, it was the Ritz gig's version. It got plenty of rotation. That much I'm sure of.

Edited by mindsaber

I think you must have misunderstood me. Let's say AFD was at #91 that would be totally awesome. I just dont like GH AT ALL.

It's no big deal, the market needed something that collected some of GNR best known singles onto one release. The casual fans who didn't wanna sit thru Coma or Reckless Life, needed this.

And with no sign (at the time) of any new GNR product on the horizon, the timing was perfect. In hindsight, as the numbers have reflected, the record company was right.

Edited by moreblack

Would be nice to have Estranged and Nightrain on it.....instead of Since i don't Have you and Ain't it fun. i mean as GNR fan which 2 songs define GNR more?

Yes, and hopefully they'll do a "Best Of" those songs would most certainly belong on there.

But as a Greatest Hit, you can see why they chose the songs they chose, and why those were left out.

I think you must have misunderstood me. Let's say AFD was at #91 that would be totally awesome. I just dont like GH AT ALL.

It's no big deal, the market needed something that collected some of GNR best known singles onto one release. The casual fans who didn't wanna sit thru Coma or Reckless Life, needed this.

And with no sign (at the time) of any new GNR product on the horizon, the timing was perfect. In hindsight, as the numbers have reflected, the record company was right.

Would be nice to have Estranged and Nightrain on it.....instead of Since i don't Have you and Ain't it fun. i mean as GNR fan which 2 songs define GNR more?

Yeah I agree, Since I Don't Have You is a huge wtf on that record. Ain't it fun is a personal favorite though. But covers on a GH? Only if you really made them your own, like with KOHD.

When it comes to GN'R I'm not really a fan of many of the GH as opposed to the other material, but in general it's their greatest hits for a reason and it can't be bad they are in the charts with them.

But covers on a GH? Only if you really made them your own, like with KOHD.

more like, only if they were hits

Ain't It Fun was not hit....I don't even think it was a single

correct me if I am wrong...

That censored version on GH was the single version. Whether it's a greatest hit, is another story.