No Way

Yamisonic

There's no way you can't like Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones, written by the great Keith Richards. It's 4:38 minutes of rock n' roll madness. It starts off with the best arpeggio I've ever listened to, with great oohs that will put you in the mood. Then the lead guitar comes in, and the piano, then the song finally begins. There's only 1 riff in the song, and that is Keith's, that goes on the whole 4 minutes. The song makes you feel as if you're in the middle of a storm, but, at the same time, the "oohs" and "yeahs", and Charlie Watt's fantastic drum pattern, makes it feel like a regular pop song. The lyrics are great, it's about how war is gonna kill us all, and how love can give shelter (though that is only shown in the last line, hehe). The chord progession in the chorus is, simply, amazing. Keith's solo, though simple, is one of the best, if not the best, with the female singer (whose name I can remember, but I know it) shouting out the strongest lyrics up to now after the solo. Then the harmonica pops in, and the song just keeps on. What I said up there is complete rubbish, the greatness of the song can't be explained in words. And it never gets boring. Download it, or even better, get Let It Bleed now.

Why don't you like Gimme Shelter? What screws it? Female vocals playing harmonies with Mick's? The fact Brian Jones didn't play in it, even though he still was part of the Stones? The chorus? The lyrics? According to The Rolling Stone magazine, it's the third best Stone song (scoring place 38 in top 500). It's got everything I want for in a song. I haven't listened to every song, but that's the best one I have heard so far.

Edited by Yamisonic