Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

I love this album, to point to my favorite Dylan album would be difficult, but I would place this atleast in my top 3. If I was asked what American Folk Music was, I would answer with this album. Songs like "Dear Landlord" and "I Pity The Poor Immigrant" are beautiful and distinctly American portraits that can't be compared with much of his other work. It's obvious why this record happened, his motorcycle accident must have been a sobering incident, leading to the end of the psychadelic messiness found on Blonde On Blonde. But I think his experimentalism prior to this album made it's realism more potent, his touch for imagery wasn't lost in his transition somewhat towards conventionality.

I agree, it also must be noted that from this album on his impeccable storytelling is really showcased with songs like "Frankie Lee and Judas Priest" which mix the ambiguous elaborate images with a more concrete feel than the albums before and there was also less fingerpointing like there was in the earliest days. Later on he became much more straightforward with songs like tangled up in blue and hurricane and this and as you said, the transition album that was so necessary to get out of the surreal and into the tangible, but not "CONVENTIONAL" as you said because the psycadelia was conventional at the time it was written.

Edited by stevGNR666

I agree, it also must be noted that from this album on his impeccable storytelling is really showcased with songs like "Frankie Lee and Judas Priest" which mix the ambiguous elaborate images with a more concrete feel than the albums before and there was also less fingerpointing like there was in the earliest days. Later on he became much more straightforward with songs like tangled up in blue and hurricane and this and as you said, the transition album that was so necessary to get out of the surreal and into the tangible, but not "CONVENTIONAL" as you said because the psycadelia was conventional at the time it was written.

Conventional in a traditional American sense.

But it is interesting, that he started the parties and left so early. The styles of this album were not "en vogue" in '67, just shows the integrity he had.

Both my favourite album by Dylan and containing my favourite song (The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest). It wasn't quite what I was expecting from him, being as my experience with Dylan before this album had pretty much been Blonde on Blonde exclusively, but I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

That's Bob's style though- to start trends, get bored with them and start new ones on a new direction entirely, whether he intends it or not. Full of contradictions, he is throughout his entire career- a politically naieve spokesperson for an entire generation of fighting politically aware individuals.

Both my favourite album by Dylan and containing my favourite song (The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest). It wasn't quite what I was expecting from him, being as my experience with Dylan before this album had pretty much been Blonde on Blonde exclusively, but I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Everyone seems to like "The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest" more than I, although I still like it very much.

That's Bob's style though- to start trends, get bored with them and start new ones on a new direction entirely, whether he intends it or not. Full of contradictions, he is throughout his entire career- a politically naieve spokesperson for an entire generation of fighting politically aware individuals.

And that fact is less controversial than you would expect, these days he does give every indication that it didn't matter to him.

Edited by Ohdistortedsmile1789

he's really hit or miss i saw him last summer and he was pretty on that night although some people following said that it was one of the better performances on the tour (the last couple were atrocious)

good luck, he has an awesome backing back btw.

if you haven't already pick up desire- i'd highly recommend it although i'm too lazy to make a thread about it.

I got this album yesterday, and its awesome. Can't wait to see him him June! rock3

me too :D

Fuck I'm going to see three of my biggest idols the same weekend. Dylan, Axl and Roger Waters :D

Just two more months to go ^_^

I dont have this dylan album, yet. so I can't really say much about it :P

he's really hit or miss i saw him last summer and he was pretty on that night although some people following said that it was one of the better performances on the tour (the last couple were atrocious)

good luck, he has an awesome backing back btw.

if you haven't already pick up desire- i'd highly recommend it although i'm too lazy to make a thread about it.

Yeah, Desire kicks ass. Hurricane is one of his greatest songs imo

Havent heard alot of Dylan but this album is sheer bliss, "The Ballad Of.." is the best track there in my opinion, I sleep with that record alot!

If you like that style you _might_ wanna check Neil Young's Harvest Moon / MTV Unplugged 1993 lots of acoustic guitars and harmonica :drevil:

It is my third favorite Dylan album after Highway 61 Revisited and Blood on the Tracks respectively.

I find Highway 61 to be overrated.

It is my third favorite Dylan album after Highway 61 Revisited and Blood on the Tracks respectively.

I somewhat agree. If I was to rank them based on what he accomplished musically it would be down in the teens. It is my favorite Dylan album because it is an incredibly enjoyable album from start to finish, it has three brilliant, landmark Dylan songs on it, and while the rest are not his best, they are catchy, memorable, and lyrically- excellent.

I somewhat agree. If I was to rank them based on what he accomplished musically it would be down in the teens. It is my favorite Dylan album because it is an incredibly enjoyable album from start to finish, it has three brilliant, landmark Dylan songs on it, and while the rest are not his best, they are catchy, memorable, and lyrically- excellent.

Well that's just it, 2-3 major songs, and the rest is a blur to me. The non-landmark songs on Bringing It All Back Home are better.