Merck Gives Axl's Side On Arrest

GUNS N' ROSES Manager On AXL's Arrest: 'Love Him Or Hate Him, Don't Get It Twisted' - June 29, 2006

GUNS N' ROSES manager Merck Mercuriadis released this statement following the band's sold out show in Oslo, Norway last night (June 28) — their first since frontman Axl Rose was released from jail in Stockholm on Tuesday:

"We are very unhappy about Tuesday's events in Stockholm. To put this in context, we are in the middle of a tour — with sold-out shows last night in Oslo, tomorrow in Copenhagen, and Saturday in Zurich rounding out this week alone — and continuing until the beginning of August.

"The Swedish authorities were very aware of this, yet continually threatened us over a 12-hour period with between 5 days and 3 weeks incarceration without bail if Axl did not 'cooperate.' They were fully aware that there were millions of dollars at stake, not to mention the hopes of tens of thousands of fans who had paid for tickets to see GUNS N' ROSES.

"The point is, the police report should not be taken at face value, and if one were to be explicit, this experience is tantamount to being held for ransom. If the context were any different, Axl would probably have preferred to spend the time in jail in order to ensure that all the facts were a matter of public record.

"In addition to this, we are also not happy at the treatment he received. He was arrested after being accosted by a security guard in his hotel, following which he was physically mistreated by the arresting officer in the process of which a valuable bracelet went missing not to be returned. While in custody, he was held down by 5 police officers while a doctor tried to take blood to administer a drug test 3 different times. This illustrates not only the level of incompetence, but malice involved. The results of the test were negative, but the exercise was a clear example of an authoritarian approach trying to flex its muscles. This is the same draconian approach that assumes the security guard in question is telling the truth just because he has a badge.

"Here you have a situation where authorities are skewing information their way, with the media all too ready to run with the biased reports. I did not receive a single phone call Tuesday to verify or comment on any of the reported events. There is a long history of claims by law enforcement, media and others against Axl that have not held up against scrutiny, legal or otherwise. He has had countless baseless lawsuits brought by numerous attorneys and nothing of any merit has ever held up.

"This is not a criticism of the people of Stockholm. The 15,000 people at the show Monday night were amazing, and everyone we met before and after were terrific, until the encounter with the over exuberant security guard. That is where encounters with real people stop and the authorities attempt to take over. There were a number of people involved who treated Axl well, while the conduct of some was questionable and others still deplorable. Regardless, GUNS N' ROSES will return to Sweden where they will play once again for the people, not the authorities.

"Love him or hate him, don't get it twisted."

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Merk can say more than, "it's bogus"? Ummm.....Oh wait, that's what he said in this case too....just with a few more words. :P

Who knows which side is true, but it's good to have Merk stand up for Axl rather than do nothing and try to sweep it under the rug.

huh, well I guess this would qualify as "the other side of the story"

I don't know why, but I laughed when I read "a valuable bracelet went missing" "Oh well I do declare! My most precious item has been spirited away from me!" :huh::lol:

Oh, please. He's making it sound like Axl was a poor innocent choir boy on his way to evening practice and was suddenly jumped on by a bunch of cops.

He was mistreated by the arresting officer? HE BIT A SECURITY GUARD'S LEG! What does Merck expect - "Oh, sorry, excuse me, Mr. Rose, but, uh, when you drop that guy's flesh hanging out of your mouth, could you maybe step into my car here for a second, and, uh...hey, could I have an autograph?"

THEY'RE COPS! Cops arrest people. And when the people they arrest act stupid - like, when they bite people - they get physical.

Taking blood samples is a common thing after you've been arrested.

Axl was pissed because the hotel wasn't to his liking, he was complaining to Beta, he was drunk and probably began yelling and swearing, the people asked him to be quiet, he got pissed that a "little person" would step up to him and he fought back. It's Axl. What do you expect?

But don't try to make it sound like the cops had some agenda to bring the man down. :rolleyes:

Oh, please. He's making it sound like Axl was a poor innocent choir boy on his way to evening practice and was suddenly jumped on by a bunch of cops.

He was mistreated by the arresting officer? HE BIT A SECURITY GUARD'S LEG! What does Merck expect - "Oh, sorry, excuse me, Mr. Rose, but, uh, when you drop that guy's flesh hanging out of your mouth, could you maybe step into my car here for a second, and, uh...hey, could I have an autograph?"

THEY'RE COPS! Cops arrest people. And when the people they arrest act stupid - like, when they bite people - they get physical.

Axl was pissed because the hotel wasn't to his liking, he was complaining to Beta, he was drunk and probably began yelling and swearing, the people asked him to be quiet, he got pissed that a "little person" would step up to him and he fought back. It's Axl. What do you expect?

But don't try to make it sound like the cops had some agenda to bring the man down. :rolleyes:

You are correct. 100 years ago he would have been left in a pile of piss and blood for acting like that.

It's funny how Merck accidently showed how unruly & out of control Axl was that morning. Why would it take 5 officers to hold him down for a simple blood test? And the police have every right to administer blood tests to get an accurate blood/alchohol level once you've been arrested. Axl is lucky he wasn't charged with more serious offenses & should just say he got to drunk.

You are correct. 100 years ago he would have been left in a pile of piss and blood for acting like that.

Before all the die-hards jump down my throat for saying that stuff - I'm an Axl fan and supporter, always have been, and I can't wait to hear CD either, and I love both bands, but come ON! Don't let your perception of Axl as a rock n' roll martyr blind you from seeing his faults.

Before all the die-hards jump down my throat for saying that stuff - I'm an Axl fan and supporter, always have been, and I can't wait to hear CD either, and I love both bands, but come ON! Don't let your perception of Axl as a rock n' roll martyr blind you from seeing his faults.

I agree. He is a genius, but that doesn't make him a saint by any means.

Yeah maybe but it isnt.

And maybe if i was a woman i wouldnt post here and i would have alot more friends!!

But im not so.

well maybe they did have some agenda against axl, or some of them did, we all know it is not beyond some cops to act like jerks. It seems so far that axl has been trying to behave himself. I dont believe Axl did too much wrong. I dont see him doing the stupid shit the cops said. but i am bias, i love axl rose. :wub:

I know cops. You know what they want? They want you to fight them, they do. They show up at a scenes of trouble. At that point if you just shut up and back down they havent got much. What they really want is for you say something or show some aggression then they can say resisting arrest. My advice say nothing walk away. Whether you've done something wrong or not u'll spend the night in the slammer on something like assault - which can just be "he pushed me" or "he hit my arm away". Axl's not like that he stands up for what he sees as the truth. Cops have the power. Or maybe they're just Out Ta Get Me!!!

Did GNR do OTGM in Oslo???

GUNS N' ROSES Manager On AXL's Arrest: 'Love Him Or Hate Him, Don't Get It Twisted' - June 29, 2006

GUNS N' ROSES manager Merck Mercuriadis released this statement following the band's sold out show in Oslo, Norway last night (June 28) — their first since frontman Axl Rose was released from jail in Stockholm on Tuesday:

"We are very unhappy about Tuesday's events in Stockholm. To put this in context, we are in the middle of a tour — with sold-out shows last night in Oslo, tomorrow in Copenhagen, and Saturday in Zurich rounding out this week alone — and continuing until the beginning of August.

"The Swedish authorities were very aware of this, yet continually threatened us over a 12-hour period with between 5 days and 3 weeks incarceration without bail if Axl did not 'cooperate.' They were fully aware that there were millions of dollars at stake, not to mention the hopes of tens of thousands of fans who had paid for tickets to see GUNS N' ROSES.

"The point is, the police report should not be taken at face value, and if one were to be explicit, this experience is tantamount to being held for ransom. If the context were any different, Axl would probably have preferred to spend the time in jail in order to ensure that all the facts were a matter of public record.

"In addition to this, we are also not happy at the treatment he received. He was arrested after being accosted by a security guard in his hotel, following which he was physically mistreated by the arresting officer in the process of which a valuable bracelet went missing not to be returned. While in custody, he was held down by 5 police officers while a doctor tried to take blood to administer a drug test 3 different times. This illustrates not only the level of incompetence, but malice involved. The results of the test were negative, but the exercise was a clear example of an authoritarian approach trying to flex its muscles. This is the same draconian approach that assumes the security guard in question is telling the truth just because he has a badge.

"Here you have a situation where authorities are skewing information their way, with the media all too ready to run with the biased reports. I did not receive a single phone call Tuesday to verify or comment on any of the reported events. There is a long history of claims by law enforcement, media and others against Axl that have not held up against scrutiny, legal or otherwise. He has had countless baseless lawsuits brought by numerous attorneys and nothing of any merit has ever held up.

"This is not a criticism of the people of Stockholm. The 15,000 people at the show Monday night were amazing, and everyone we met before and after were terrific, until the encounter with the over exuberant security guard. That is where encounters with real people stop and the authorities attempt to take over. There were a number of people involved who treated Axl well, while the conduct of some was questionable and others still deplorable. Regardless, GUNS N' ROSES will return to Sweden where they will play once again for the people, not the authorities.

"Love him or hate him, don't get it twisted."

So what???

I can't believe what I read!

So if u have to play sold out shows u can do what u want despite the law?

I really can't believe merck point of view... that's why Axl acts the way he does...

Merck rocks! Now we have both sides of the story. and honestly, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but who gives a fuck? its over with, he's out of jail, and the tour continues.

that was so well written, Axl and the band are lucky to have someone like Merck representing them.

omfg. of course Merck protects Axl, his fuckin job is to make him look good! To me this whine from Merck is just whine and bullshit. really. You think Axl's is the nice sweet little victim that Merck paints him as? grow up.

and the 5 cops thing. they where trying to take a freakin blood sample, you know you do that with a syringe. I would not like to put a syringe into anyone that moves around like a snake and twists and do every possible he can to get out of there.

my god.

Edited by evil_l