Guns N Roses live: then vs. now

tippin

So i've been watching/listening to some of my bootlegs lately, and I honestly believe that the new band sounds better live than the old band.

I've seen each version live once, and as far as musical quality is concerned, it's no contest.

Now I know people always trash the new band about having three or four guitarists, (Izzy?) but I just think it gives the band a much fuller sound.

Don't get me wrong, I love Slash, but the old band would have these "lulls" to where there was almost dead air while waiting for one of the guitarists to play a solo. With the new band, however, there are no such lulls.

Of course, the old band is far superior in their song writing abilitys (so far at least) but all you bashers out there need to give the new band a real chance.

Go to a show during the US tour, and you'll see the difference......

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So i've been watching/listening to some of my bootlegs lately, and I honestly believe that the new band sounds better live than the old band.

I've seen each version live once, and as far as musical quality is concerned, it's no contest.

Now I know people always trash the new band about having three or four guitarists, (Izzy?) but I just think it gives the band a much fuller sound.

Don't get me wrong, I love Slash, but the old band would have these "lulls" to where there was almost dead air while waiting for one of the guitarists to play a solo. With the new band, however, there are no such lulls.

Of course, the old band is far superior in their song writing abilitys (so far at least) but all you bashers out there need to give the new band a real chance.

I am in 100% whole hearted agreement with this post.

It's just a totally different band. The old band had more of a punk quality to it (for lack of a better way of articulating it). Some actually prefer a more raw sound and image, which is what the old band was. The new band is more orchestrated sound, and will be more and more polished as they play together.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

Stupidity.

This is what music is about, it's about the space. Great music uses space to it's advantage.

Stupidity.

This is what music is about, it's about the space. Great music uses space to it's advantage.

its not stupidity, its his personal preference.

Out of all the Slashites on this board, your review of GNR's show this fall is one of the ones i'm looking forward to reading to most. :)

I agree with every thing apart from the song-writing bit. We don't really know what the new band has written and they might even be very good but Ax might wanna be the sole song-writer.

IMO, the original GNR win hands down from all the live videos and bootlegs I've heard.

The NuGnR put on a good show, but they would sound a lot better live if Axl just kept Robin to playing rhythm guitar. And, then divide the leads between Fortus and Bumblefoot.

IMO, the original GNR win hands down from all the live videos and bootlegs I've heard.

The NuGnR put on a good show, but they would sound a lot better live if Axl just kept Robin to playing rhythm guitar. And, then divide the leads between Fortus and Bumblefoot.

:fuckyou:

for the love of god, stop calling them nu/new GNR.... you retarded monkey :monkey::monkey::monkey:

It is GUNS N`ROSES..... see.. it`s not that hard.

Fuck :anger:

btw... im 100% agree whit the poster.... just get used to it...

Edited by dally

for the love of god, stop calling them nu/new GNR.... you retarded monkey :monkey::monkey::monkey:

Its anything but guns n roses.

Its anything but guns n roses.

black person please :rolleyes:

I've seen this band and it is EVERYTHING Guns N Roses rock3

for the love of god, stop calling them nu/new GNR.... you retarded monkey :monkey:

:rofl-lol:

I guess I'm a monkey then :monkey:

They're the new GNR, and if you don't like me using the term NuGnR, :fuckyou:

As long as Axl is there, it's still worthy of GnR.

Bands lose the right to the name after they get rid of vocalist and guitarist/songwriter.

Should Black Sabbath have changed names once Ozzy and Bill Ward left?

Should Skid Row have changed names when Bach left?

Axl+Fortus=GnR

for the love of god, stop calling them nu/new GNR.... you retarded monkey :monkey:

:rofl-lol:

I guess I'm a monkey then :monkey:

They're the new GNR, and if you don't like me using the term NuGnR, :fuckyou:

Up my ass.... well... i guess everyone has an opinion ;)

Still... it is GUNS N ROSES...

Well, if you compare these 2006 shows to the AFD era, then the classic band wins, hands down. Just watch the Ritz: Slash going nuts, playing on the floor, Steven on the drums, Axl throwing himself into the crowd, etc.

But the Illusion era was kinda lame. The whole horn section, Tracy and Roberta, having Matt's heavy-sounding drums and Gilby instead of Izzy didn't do it for me. I prefer the current band to that one.

I'm with ya

As long as Axl is there, it's still worthy of GnR.

Bands lose the right to the name after they get rid of vocalist and guitarist/songwriter.

Should Black Sabbath have changed names once Ozzy and Bill Ward left?

Should Skid Row have changed names when Bach left?

Axl+Fortus=GnR

yes, they should have changed the name. dio sabbath had some good songs, but it wasn't sabbath. just like the new formation of gnr has some good songs, but they aren't gnr. i look at it as axls solo band, and he has a few cool guys playing for him.

When i see more of this New band material and they stop being nothing more than a tribute band il make my mind up.

At the moment its not even comparable

Have you seen each version live? Go to the download section of this site and compare the two. I think you'll see what I mean. ;)