Chinese Democracy: The heir to Layla's throne?

adnan

Since Derek & the Dominos released their epic Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs in November 1970, no album with a similar theme has even come close to achieving it's monumental, epic, unforgettable status. Could Chinese Democracy change this? Even if it is not entirely a concept album, I think we have heard enough to say that it will be heavy on subject matter related to lost love and Stephanie Seymour in particular. This is the opposite of the anguished cries of unrequited love that echo through Layla, but it is still one of very few records that are largely about one woman. Layla was about Pattie Boyd, and Chinese Democracy could be mostly about Stephanie Seymour. Different phases in the relationships, but essentially the same feelings and emotions: anguish, frustration, and even anger.

It has been a long time since I have heard this sort of subject matter handled so well, and frankly, Chinese Democracy's songs are the first to impress me anywhere near how Layla continues to impress me. Could Axl Rose put out a masterpiece like Layla? Maybe, maybe not. We do not know and we will not know till we have the album in our hands. But hearing this material, I am confident in believing that while Democracy will not be as good as Layla, it could be the heir to it's throne.

Rock on Gunners!

He seems to blend his love songs in with other songs. I nearly bought that Layla album other day. Read article in magazine about that album. I'm a sucker that way. November Rain was like Lyla sort of. A whole album about a coked out supermodel. I hope not but I'm sure he could easily. Like when a new film director uses Estranged in a movie. Like if Scorese used Estranged that would be cool.

He seems to blend his love songs in with other songs. I nearly bought that Layla album other day. Read article in magazine about that album. I'm a sucker that way. November Rain was like Lyla sort of. A whole album about a coked out supermodel? I hope not but I'm sure he could easily. Like when a new film director uses Estranged in a movie. Like if Scorese used Estranged that would be cool. Maybe Michale Mann or Tarrantino. In ten years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjuc4T7FqiA

I was born with a...Stiff Upper Lip. I love DC but that album was a little turgid. But still great anyway.

I'm hoping CD will be triple album and unlike any other album. Mainly cos of the line up which sort of checks in at every musical station in the nineties. Like Primus, NIN, Nu Metal meets GNR. It has a scope where they can do classic GNR songs and also newer more experimental stuff. Which will mean its going to update things like Queen or Floyd.

Since Derek & the Dominos released their epic Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs in November 1970, no album with a similar theme has even come close to achieving it's monumental, epic, unforgettable status. Could Chinese Democracy change this? Even if it is not entirely a concept album, I think we have heard enough to say that it will be heavy on subject matter related to lost love and Stephanie Seymour in particular. This is the opposite of the anguished cries of unrequited love that echo through Layla, but it is still one of very few records that are largely about one woman. Layla was about Pattie Boyd, and Chinese Democracy could be mostly about Stephanie Seymour. Different phases in the relationships, but essentially the same feelings and emotions: anguish, frustration, and even anger.

It has been a long time since I have heard this sort of subject matter handled so well, and frankly, Chinese Democracy's songs are the first to impress me anywhere near how Layla continues to impress me. Could Axl Rose put out a masterpiece like Layla? Maybe, maybe not. We do not know and we will not know till we have the album in our hands. But hearing this material, I am confident in believing that while Democracy will not be as good as Layla, it could be the heir to it's throne.

You have got to be fucking kidding me :laugh: ,if slash was still in guns i'd accept that u want to compare the blues master to guns but since he aint.... :laugh:

I'd rather wait for the album to be in my hand rather than comparing to other artists material. Unless u know more about CD than your letting on :confused::confused:

Edited by jimmy1981

I don't think so. :book:

"Chinese Democracy" will be GNR's version of AC/DC's "Stiff Upper Lip".

High Voltage/Appetite for Destruction

Highway to Hell/Lies

Dirty Deeds done dirt cheap/UYI I

Flick of the switch/UYI II

The Razors Edge/The Spaghetti Incident?

And finally:

BACK IN BLACK

Highway to Hell/Lies

And finally:

BACK IN BLACK

haha i reckon grace 21 million copies as well hopefully

• 1 month later...

Highway to Hell/Lies

And finally:

BACK IN BLACK

Where can I get some of what you're smoking?

Besides, do you want CD known for producing songs like Layla? Fuck with all due respect to Clapton, that type of song is not what I am waiting to hear on CD....Even November Rain, a ballad, maintains an edge missing from most Clapton songs....GnR is not a Blues band in the way Clapton's groups were...While Gnr can adopt a bluesy edge similar to the Stones, an element of raw punk has always kept Guns a little harder, a little edgier..I hope CD adopts a similar balance...

Besides, do you want CD known for producing songs like Layla? Fuck with all due respect to Clapton, that type of song is not what I am waiting to hear on CD....Even November Rain, a ballad, maintains an edge missing from most Clapton songs....GnR is not a Blues band in the way Clapton's groups were...While Gnr can adopt a bluesy edge similar to the Stones, an element of raw punk has always kept Guns a little harder, a little edgier..I hope CD adopts a similar balance...

Those elements are long gone. Replaced by Keyboards, Synths and Martin Luther King solos... :(

no, it will be a version of VR Cuntraband...and Pitman will sing on it instead of Axl. :lol:

They should just cover Contraband with Pitman singing and synthing everything. Axl can play bongos.

You have got to be fucking kidding me :laugh: ,if slash was still in guns i'd accept that u want to compare the blues master to guns but since he aint.... :laugh:

I'd rather wait for the album to be in my hand rather than comparing to other artists material. Unless u know more about CD than your letting on :confused::confused:

slash is gone dude.

Stiff Upper Lip was the second best Brian-era AC/DC album, behind Back in Black.

You know a good forgotten AC/DC album? Ballbreaker. That one friggen rocks.

Ballbreaker = Worst AC/DC album ever. SUL was great though. :)

The best Brian era albums are Back In Black and Flick Of The Switch. FTATR and SUL come in behind those two, IMO.

Those elements are long gone. Replaced by Keyboards, Synths and Martin Luther King solos... :(

thats exactly where axl wanted to take the band