Turn in a Gun, get Guns tickets

Subtle Signs

From lmook ay HTGTH (theres YOUR credit!)

It is a nice gesture on the part of Gn'R though.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...BAG8NMNFFV1.DTL

Oakland's latest pitch for violence prevention, a gun-exchange program in two of the city's toughest neighborhoods, would work well as a comedy skit.

This Saturday in Sobrante Park and next week in DeFremery Park, city officials will reward anyone who turns in a gun with two tickets to the Dec. 15 concert by hard-rock band Guns N' Roses at Oracle Arena.

Offering Guns N' Roses tickets in the northwest Oakland neighborhood known as "Ghostown" and Sobrante Park on the east side of town is like giving cats free tickets to the dog show.

What's next, a free pass to Michael Richards stand-up act? There is surely a disconnect between the city's promotional plan and the marketplace.

"Guns N' Roses -- the band?" asked Mike Magardo, a 34-year-old Oakland resident. "I think that's a little off the mark. In general, the folks who would show up for a gun exchange in those neighborhoods either don't know or care who Guns N' Roses are."

When I asked the question of more than half a dozen people on the street, both white and black, their responses were pretty much the same.

"Why would any youngsters want to go see Guns N' Roses," Andrew Smith, 32, asked.

Mark Lipsett, a 45-year-old banker, said, "That seems crazy to me. How about Raiders tickets, Warriors tickets, a pizza coupon, just about anything," he said.

Etah Allah, 31, who grew up in West Oakland, summed it up nicely.

"I wouldn't give them a sling shot," he said. "In fact, given some of the things that (Axl) Rose has said about black folks, I think I should get a gun for just going to the concert," he said, bringing a laugh from his friends.

Joe DeVries, who runs Oakland's violence-prevention program with tax funds from voter-approved Measure Y, says the Guns N' Roses promotion is admittedly not a great match. But he hopes it's the start of a program that will expand to include acts that speak to younger black audiences.

"I recognize that Guns N' Roses isn't a band that a lot of Oakland kids listen to, but there are so many stolen guns used in crimes in this city we'll take any guns we can get," he said.

The latest gun exchange project was inspired by DeVries' experience with a half-dozen AmeriCorps workers employed in his office. Oakland's most successful attempt at a gun exchange was in October 1996, when officials offered computers for firearms. Authorities received more than 200 guns that day.

After a couple of recent killings in the city, DeVries asked his workers, most of them between the ages of 19 and 22, if they could get a gun if they thought they needed one.

"They laughed and then rattled off the names of nearly a half-dozen people who had them," he said.

A few months later, when a group of workers were confronted at a store at 32nd and Market streets by a man who flashed a weapon, the workers drove off and returned 20 minutes later. Two of them were now armed, DeVries said.

It was a prime example of how quickly a perceived slight on the street can escalate to violence, he said.

DeVries said he is focusing on corporate sponsorship to fund more gun exchanges, and he welcomed the gracious offer from the band, which is donating tickets valued at $25,000 -- a truly generous offer.

The only problem with Saturday's promotion is that if scores of African Americans were to take the bank up on its offer, the result could incite violence rather than abate it if the band plays some of its greatest hits.

In "One in a Million," released during the band's heyday in 1988, Rose sings: "Police and n -- , that's right, get out of my way. Don't need to buy none of your Goldchains today."

I don't want to stereotype too much, but verses like those aren't going to go over very well with a young Oakland crowd.

Linking good causes like gun exchanges with popular promotions has merit, but the message and the audience must be somewhere close to on the same wavelength.

Kudos to the rock 'n' roll band, but DeVries and the city would have been wiser to aim their push at the upcoming Jamie Foxx New Year's Eve Celebration at the Oracle Arena, formerly known as the Oakland Arena.

Foxx is one of the hottest, perhaps the hottest, young black male actors and musicians in entertainment today. His comedy and music resonate with young black men and his voice carries a weight and authority that comes from shared experiences.

That's a promotion that could gain traction in neighborhoods where gun violence threatens everyone's safety, and provide an on-point message to an audience that is ready and willing to listen.

And DeVries is right about one thing: The mere suggestion of gun-exchange programs has already led to a few brainstorming ideas.

"How about a job offer that paid real money to live on, so I don't need a gun?" said Allah, a tow-truck driver.

Chip Johnson's column appears in the Chronicle on Tuesdays and Fridays. E-mail him at chjohnson@sfchronicle.com.

Edited by rancid punks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"I wouldn't give them a sling shot," he said. "In fact, given some of the things that (Axl) Rose has said about black folks, I think I should get a gun for just going to the concert," he said, bringing a laugh from his friends.

funny hearing the people in the streets opinions on GnR! :rofl-lol: they must have done very poorly in sales over there

When was the last time One In A Million was actually played live? I only know of it being done once, at the acoustic show in CBGB's in 1989.

So I think they're safe on that count.

And its hardly one of their greatest hits either.

But I do agree that GNR tickets aren't the best option for a gun exchange program, simply because the majority of people they're trying to appeal to will not give a shit.

But I suppose its hard to find bands willing to give away tickets. Or anyone willing to give away their product, even if gun exchanges could be a good idea.

When was the last time One In A Million was actually played live? ...

Exactly. It's a shame this initiative is being received so negatively.

I think it's admirable for the band to want to do something to make the world a better and safer place. Shame on anyone who takes shots at them for doing this.

I tip my hat off to them for trying.

I think it's admirable for the band to want to do something to make the world a better and safer place. Shame on anyone who takes shots at them for doing this.

Its awesome the band would do that, but clearly the officials are out of touch with the inner city community.

The real shame is that this "journalist", rather than trying to inform people, would instead try to incite a backlash by referencing a song that the band doesn't even play.

And other than the line in "One in a Million", which uses "that forbidden word" in a manner that by no means targets every African American that exists (shoe fits?), what, exactly, has Axl said about black people?

I'm sick of the media.

Wow, would someone please donate a brain cell to management.

I'd be surprised if:

1. Axl knew about this.

2. Merck/management isn't fucked in the brain.

3. Any guns are traded in for tickets.. it's the equivalent of trading in your car for a shopping trolley.

If i had tickets for this show i would be slightly anxious. The desperation to make some shows have a larger audience/be successful is unreal and imo has gone too far.

If we take their guns, how will they shoot each other and control population?

You may get flamed for saying that. But man, thats funny. I was going to say they should keep their guns for that same purpose. Plus, who would want them at the concert anyway?

Flame away PC folks.

I think the only thing to really take from this is that a) ticket sales have been crap for this show, too, and b ) management was desperately looking (emphasis on desperate) for some way to spin the giving away of tickets so it didn't look like the tour was falling apart.

Way to go, guys. Are they going to start a West Hollywood promotion for the SoCal shows now? Fucking christ...

Edited by GabrielsChains

funny hearing the people in the streets opinions on GnR! :rofl-lol: they must have done very poorly in sales over there

For those that didn't pick up on this... they're trying to pull this off in what amounts to be 'the hood' over there. Their musical prefrence would be rap artists... not a rock & roll band.

It would be like walking into a trailor park in the middle of podunk KKK country and having a gun exchange program for 50 cent tickets.

I wouldn't read too much into what those people think.

I likewise wouldn't peg GNR's management for doing something this stupid. County and/or city officials over there are obviously doing this on their own... buying the tickets themselves to execute the program. I highly doubt GNR has anything to do with this... other than being (unwilling) bait.

Edited by Matt13

I think the only thing to really take from this is that a) ticket sales have been crap for this show, too, and B) management was desperately looking (emphasis on desperate) for some way to spin the giving away of tickets so it didn't look like the tour was falling apart.

Yep. That's it in a nutshell.

And at the end of the day, they can't even GIVE the tickets away. According to the article, folks would rather get a free pizza then see Axl.

What a shame.

Do you not have a brain? See my above post.

me too

For those that didn't pick up on this... they're trying to pull this off in what amounts to be 'the hood' over there. Their musical prefrence would be rap artists... not a rock & roll band.

It would be like walking into a trailor park in the middle of podunk KKK country and having a gun exchange program for 50 cent tickets.

I wouldn't read too much into what those people think.

I likewise wouldn't peg GNR's management for doing something this stupid. County and/or city officials over there are obviously doing this on their own... buying the tickets themselves to execute the program. I highly doubt GNR has anything to do with this... other than being (unwilling) bait.

I guess you didn't pick up on this part:

DeVries said he is focusing on corporate sponsorship to fund more gun exchanges, and he welcomed the gracious offer from the band, which is donating tickets valued at $25,000 -- a truly generous offer.

...So I guess management is that stupid........ :rolleyes:

Edited by luvaxl4ever

I think the only thing to really take from this is that a) ticket sales have been crap for this show, too, and B) management was desperately looking (emphasis on desperate) for some way to spin the giving away of tickets so it didn't look like the tour was falling apart.

Yep. That's it in a nutshell.

And at the end of the day, they can't even GIVE the tickets away. According to the article, folks would rather get a free pizza then see Axl.

What a shame.

Do you not have a brain? See my above post.

No, I didn't read your post. But let me see if I can figure out what you wrote through my amazing powers of telepathy...

Did you say something like... Don't blame Axl for anything. It's not his fault. Even if this is a stupid idea, we can't blame Axl. He's a god. Everyone who disses him is a fuckface/asshole/cunt/brainless ass eater.

How close was I?

Poor Matt. The ship is sinking. I admire the faithful like you who can hold on until the very last moment. I really do.

No bunky. Please stop showing us how cavernous that mellon is on top of your head. When you figure out how to use the scroll function on mommy's computer and decide to read my post, you'd discover that my comments really don't have much to do with GNR or Axl Rose, but rather, the difference between a thug from the hood who don't give a shit about ANY rock band... much less GNR... and a target area that this program might actually work in.

So before you take any kind of negativity that you find and back it up further, I suggest you go see the Wizard of Oz and request a brain so you can at least apply some common sense to it and come to a realistic conclusion about it. Something you're apparently incapable of.

Speaking of common sense... given you post here 24/7 at all hours of the day... you would seem pretty obsessed with doing anything in your power (obviously only mommy's computer and your cock to jerk off in this particular case), on an internet fan forum for GNR to bash them any chance you get with your stupid dim-witted comments.

So, who's the one who's pathetically obsessed here? Sounds like you need a big fresh does of A LIFE.

:)

Edited by Matt13

...So I guess management is that stupid........ :rolleyes:

Good find. Guess you're right... management is either stupid for not doing their homework or the band actually has a shred of decency in them. God forbid.

Alas, I just broke my solomn oath of never responding to you and will start a new streak after this post...

You're about loopier than Toucan Sam.