The Doors Live

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been listening to alot of live stuff lately, and have discovered that my favortie performances came from 1970. A very bluesy time, and less of the theatrical showmanship that they had going on from 66'-69'. I like the bluesy shit like 'Crawling King Snake', 'Cars Hiss By My Window', and 'Roadhouse Blues'.

I really want to get my hands on those Bright Midnight Archive releases. I've got Boston, which I wasn't to fond of, since the vocals seem pretty low in the mix at times. I've heard some of Detroit, and it sounds great.

Wow... you know, recently the Doors have just seemed to "click" with me. I never used to get what the fuss was all about, but the other day I put an album on and I was totally absorbed in it. Morrison had me hypnotised.

bro you been missing some SERIOUS fuckin shit dude!!

Wow... you know, recently the Doors have just seemed to "click" with me. I never used to get what the fuss was all about, but the other day I put an album on and I was totally absorbed in it. Morrison had me hypnotised.

They were such a great band. I've been listening to them nonstop lately.

At least you finally understand what made them so great. I do notice alot of youngsters getting into them just because it's "cool" but it's nice when you see someone really appreciate The Doors.

There are admittedly some "classic" bands that I have a hard time really enjoying altogether. I'll find certain classic rock bands have certain songs I love, but I can never get into their albums completely.

I expected that much from The Doors, but I must have been about 14 when I bought a three-pack (LA Woman, S/T, Morrison Hotel) and each one had my full interest. I couldn't stop playing them.

I think some people, when I tell them I like The Doors, think I'm just saying it because it's cliched. But no, I really do love the band, and they have some fantastic under-the-radar songs like Hyacinth House and Tell All the People that are great. (I love Morrison's "it's just meeee" on Tell All the People).

Orange County Suite as a bonus track to the new 40th year anniversary mix of L.A. Woman is a cool fucking song. Anyone else heard this tune?

I have the Perception box set but I don't think I've listened to all the bonus material. I also haven't played the DVD-Audio discs, which I really should some time. But I did hear the Orange County Suite as a live performance on a bootleg once.

It's been a while since I heard it, so I don't recall too much about it. I have an album called Mystic Man - The Uncut Soft Parade Sessions 1968-69 and Orange County Suite is included, subtitled "Poetry Session 3/69" so it's just Jim speaking. Then I have another two versions on The Lost Paris Tapes - one the song itself, the other being another poetry session. I actually prefer it in the poetry form - Jim just reading the words is pretty cool. But I'll have to pull out the Perception set tomorrow and give the LA Woman version another listen. :)'By the way, the Perception box set is fucking ace. I don't know if you have the individual albums, FF, or the box set itself - but even though the price on it is pretty high, it's worth it if you're a fan.BTW here is my review of the set from last year: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=84903&hl=

Edited by Estranged Reality

There are admittedly some "classic" bands that I have a hard time really enjoying altogether. I'll find certain classic rock bands have certain songs I love, but I can never get into their albums completely.

I expected that much from The Doors, but I must have been about 14 when I bought a three-pack (LA Woman, S/T, Morrison Hotel) and each one had my full interest. I couldn't stop playing them.

I think some people, when I tell them I like The Doors, think I'm just saying it because it's cliched. But no, I really do love the band, and they have some fantastic under-the-radar songs like Hyacinth House and Tell All the People that are great. (I love Morrison's "it's just meeee" on Tell All the People).

exactly, and its the under the radar classics that cement how cool a band is for me, Runnin Blue (dedicated to Otis Redding) Not to Touch the Earth, Queen of the Highway, Rock is Dead are fuckin insane. i can sincerely say that the doors have an ALMOST flawless catalogue, almost. i think Waiting For The Sun and Soft Parade are fucking masterpieces and i have no idea which song is bad on them.

Edited by ffrankwhite

I saw The Doors w/ Ian Astbury on vocals. It was a nice tribute show. Worth the 25 bucks.

I won't go see them with Brett Scallions singing. I wouldn't pay a nickel for that.

What's the deal with that? Did Ian leave? Last I heard they were recording an album.

i remembering hearing densmore was suing em a whiles back.

From what I understand, part of the settlement between Densmore and the others was that they would change their name- hence the change to Riders On The Storm.

Ian Astbury decided to go back to doing The Cult, and that's why he left. The Cult has a new cd coming out in October, and I can't wait to hear it.

i despise the idea that manzarek et al have dragged Jims niche into such a fuckin pit that oafs like astbury are shunning it in favor of the fuckin cult. that band was really something and they're making it into this travelling...ahh, i dunno the words man, just sucks.

About Astbury, I saw D21C (before the name change to Riders...) last summer and Ian was the only one performing to his capabilities and actually sounding good.

Ray and Robbie sounded out of tune, out of time, out of touch, kinda like old men whose hands don't work anymore...

Edited by moreblack

About Astbury, I saw D21C (before the name change to Riders...) last summer and Ian was the only one performing to his capabilities and actually sounding good.

Ray and Robbie sounded out of tune, out of time, out of touch, kinda like old men whose hands don't work anymore...

I've heard mixed reviews about them too.

On the LA Woman Live dvd, Robby sounds pretty good, but Ray's new keyboard sounds like shit. Totally missing that fucking vintage Doors, organ sound. Sounds terrible.

• 2 weeks later...
Audio of the Miami 1969 show can be found on youtube

Here is the real Five To One. Not the movie.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q7E13ALeaOo&amp...ted&search=

:rofl-lol:

thats from the double cd set isnt it? that has the best doors song of all time (rock is dead) on it.

Yea it was on the box set along with Rock Is Dead.

I'm listening to When The Music's Over from Miami right now :rofl-lol:

thats from the double cd set isnt it? that has the best doors song of all time (rock is dead) on it.

i never heard the whole miami gig, just that song offa the boxset. (nobody gonna come up here n love me huh?) :lol: i really dig whiskey and mystics and men from that. and that other song thats name escapes me, oh yes, Queen of the Highway, it differs from the proper version. and all those different takes on Moonlight Drive.

Edited by ffrankwhite

i never heard the whole miami gig, just that song offa the boxset. (nobody gonna come up here n love me huh?) :lol: i really dig whiskey and mystics and men from that. and that other song thats name escapes me, oh yes, Queen of the Highway, it differs from the proper version. and all those different takes on Moonlight Drive.

I also perfer the vresion of Hyacinth House to the one that is on LA Woman. The box set has real good stuff on it.