Albums you're glad are insignificant

pain cake

For me I have 3 in particular

Aerosmith - Aerosmith: I've said it millions of times, and I believe it is Aerosmith's best; they truly got it right the first time but didn't get enough recognition for it. They got the classics of Dream on and Mama Kin along with a perfectly balanced album that just fucking grooves. It is totally void of the generic raunch ridden lyrics that fill their so called "masterpieces" of Toys in the Attic and Rocks, which in my opinon are pure displeasures to listen to.

Joe Strummer & The Mascaleros - Global a-go-go: Former Clash frontman Joe Strummer gave music 3 more albums before his unfortunate death, and the best product was this album. Featuring a more modern variety of over-dubs made famous in prior work such as his London Calling album, this album is balanced with strange sounds and cool ballads, most well known, the song Mondo Bongo, featured in the film Mr. and Mrs. Smith. This album can make you groove, make you feel and make you think, the true makings of a masterpiece that fell through the cracks.

Kings of Leon - Aha, Shake Heartbreak: Kings of Leon have 3 albums, their most recent, Because of the Times, released earlier this year with the hit "On Call", but any Kings of Leon fan will tell you this is their best. When I thought about it, I realised how perfect this album is. Backed by their hits such as Four Kicks, King of the Rodeo and The Bucket, and containing a predominant amount of fan favourites, it is truly a spectacular album of the times.

Just needed to get that off my chest, and I really wanna hear about some new stuff :)

Bush - Sixteen Stone. Great band and this is their debut album that contains some of their greatest hits and the epic grungy ballad "Glycerine". Its a nicely heavy rocking album really. They are an unfortunately overlooked band.

Better Than Ezra - Deluxe. Check this shit out! Really great tunes and catchy music and the frontman has a great voice. There are some quality ballads to be had here also.

Edited by Judas

I don't know if I understand the question, but why should I be glad that an album is insignificant. I mean, if it's good, I don't care if it is known or unknown.

Is there no album that you listen to and adore and are quite content that you know very few people know about it?! It might be the average album that a band put out before they got famous which you appreciate because it shows you where they came from or how they progressed / evolved. He is merely asking for advice on overlooked and under-rated music because there has been no new music from Axl Rose for quite some time!

I don't know if I understand the question, but why should I be glad that an album is insignificant. I mean, if it's good, I don't care if it is known or unknown.

Is there no album that you listen to and adore and are quite content that you know very few people know about it?! It might be the average album that a band put out before they got famous which you appreciate because it shows you where they came from or how they progressed / evolved. He is merely asking for advice on overlooked and under-rated music because there has been no new music from Axl Rose for quite some time!

i understand the sentiment and the mentality and i almost dont want to express my opinion here but...i've weened myself away from that mentality because its the first step to becoming the kind of elitist that does one of two thing

1) to condescend to the new fans if and when a particular album or artist gets mainstream popularity

2) to become one of those people that it becomes a reflex too to dislike a band the minute they go overground, regardless of their output.

music is to be shared, why would i ever be happy that something i respond to/adore is considered insignificant? although i really dont wanna make contrary points to paincake..

I thought Tesla's last studio venture "Into The Now" was very good, classic Tesla!

Their new CD Real to Reel which is covers of their favorite 60's and 70's rock songs kicks ass.

**but I'm not glad nor do I think it's insignificant it's just not getting the air play I think it should**

Edited by bkriley

Live - The Distance to here

Yeah man...live are amazing.

music is to be shared, why would i ever be happy that something i respond to/adore is considered insignificant? although i really dont wanna make contrary points to paincake..

Okay, but i meant...in your immediate circle of friends or community or country even! if you really like something and try your best to share it with no success...well then it is insignificant to the massess but it is important to you. That is all I meant but I understand your misinterpretation.

Live - The Distance to here

Yeah man...live are amazing.

Okay, but i meant...in your immediate circle of friends or community or country even! if you really like something and try your best to share it with no success...well then it is insignificant to the massess but it is important to you. That is all I meant but I understand your misinterpretation.

in that case

Flowers Of Romance - PiL

Cut - The Slits

The Best Dressed Chicken In Town - Dr Alimentado

Cinderella - Still Climbing

I thought that was amazing too. Hardly any of the tracks off it appeared on their greatest hits?! wtf!

jeff buckley - grace

Ya man. this is the kinda album i just listen to it right the way through everytime. its lovely really.

Edited by Judas

jeff buckley - grace

Agreed. I think Bleach by Nirvana is another one. This album sorts out the true fans from the people who just listen to Nevermind.

:huh: So if you listen to Bleach, you're a true Nirvana fan? Even if the person hasn't even heard of Nirvana before?

(not trying to be a smartass or anything, just trying to understand what you mean)

jeff buckley - grace

Agreed. I think Bleach by Nirvana is another one. This album sorts out the true fans from the people who just listen to Nevermind.

:huh: So if you listen to Bleach, you're a true Nirvana fan? Even if the person hasn't even heard of Nirvana before?

(not trying to be a smartass or anything, just trying to understand what you mean)

No, no - I didn't mean it like that :P But there are many people out who just listen to Nevermind, and many will also listen to Insecticide, In Utero etc. However Bleach, Nirvana's first album, is often overlooked by many people, and in my opinion it's Nirvana's best work. In fact in my local record stores, there are stickers on the album informing people that this is Nirvana's first album, as so many people do not know.

Edited by LCG

i understand the sentiment and the mentality and i almost dont want to express my opinion here but...i've weened myself away from that mentality because its the first step to becoming the kind of elitist that does one of two thing

1) to condescend to the new fans if and when a particular album or artist gets mainstream popularity

2) to become one of those people that it becomes a reflex too to dislike a band the minute they go overground, regardless of their output.

I know where you're coming from, I have a friend who used to be an absolute asshole when it came to music, thinking no one should listen to the music he did. Mostly because he was lost and looking for a sense of individuality that he's too stupid to attain himself. But the reason I like some of my favourite albums to be insignificant, is that if I find someone else with the album, then they're also going to tend to like it as much as I do... makes for a great conversation. Not saying I'd like it any less if it was a huge success, but I love to be able to just chill out to my Matt Costa album on the bus knowing no one on the bus has probably heard it.

All Those Wasted Years...Hanoi Rocks.

I don't know if it was insignificant. It was a live album, sort of. I used to listen to it late at night. Not sure if it was a bigger seller but the live nature of it sort made it haunting.

I don't even know the titles of the songs. Taxi Driver, 11th Street Kids.

GNR should do a Hanoi Rocks cover.

Mental Beat.

I also had these Shonen Knife records which were insane.

There was a band called The Almighty, sort of like british GNR but much more drunker, like Motorhead but shitter.

All Those Wasted Years...Hanoi Rocks.

I don't know if it was insignificant. It was a live album, sort of. I used to listen to it late at night. Not sure if it was a bigger seller but the live nature of it sort made it haunting.

I don't even know the titles of the songs. Taxi Driver, 11th Street Kids.

GNR should do a Hanoi Rocks cover.

Mental Beat.

I also had these Shonen Knife records which were insane.

There was a band called The Almighty, sort of like british GNR but much more drunker, like Motorhead but shitter.

did u say Shonen Knife??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? they are fucking legendary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! had as in not anymore??

MOXY ROXX: Victims Of The Night

its from 1986 and this band never ever got their due but it was a fantastic album.i had up till about 4 years ago and now i cant find it.i saw one lp on ebay but the guy wants 100 bucks for it.so if anyone has ever heard and knows where to get it or a bootleg of this band let me know.

when GNR first came out i was into them right away. i remember reading a blurb about them in Metal Edge magazine which prompted me to buy LLAS. i liked it, but didn't think it was mind-blowing or anything. then a few months later AFD came out and i was hooked on it (along with Faster Pussycat's first album, btw) and about six months later "Sweet Child" hit and GNR just blew up. i kinda fell into trap #1 and resented some of the people walking around in their new GNR shirt that they bought at Hot Topic the day before. but i got over it and never fell into trap #2. it was actually cool seeing GNR turn into the biggest band on the planet and think back to having to ask the guy at the record store if they had Guns N' Roses and being pointed to the Alternative/Independent Aisle!!!

in keeping with my sleaze metal of the late (but not too late) '80's theme i'll go with Smashed Gladys - "Socia Intercourse". it's a good album that, to me, has stood the test of time well in comparison to many of it's counterparts.

socialintercourse.jpg

Edited by artfromtex