Led Zeppelin - Saviors of the music industry?

misch

Times have changed. Because of the internet album sales are going back from year to year.

Now, just have a look at the buzz and the huge demand of tickets for the reunion show. Over 89.5 million requests, as someone wrote in the other thread.

So, if they would reunite and record a new album, do you think they could reach album sales as high as in their prime in the 70s? (Led Zeppelin IV sold over 23 millions (till now) alone in the US.)

Because of illegal downloading and pirateing nothing can really save the record/music industry. The only way for ALMOST all bands today to make money is touring. People (myself included) slammed Metallica over their Napster dispute. Turns out they were right all along IMHO....Even when people buys songs on the internet now they can purchase a song for 99 cents and not have to pay for the whole album which also hurts the record sales---

Man, I still buy albums. As long as albums are available somewhere, I'll buy them. I can't make myself buy an mp3 online and download it to a boring grey Memorex disc. I want the whole thing, album art, booklet and all. If I'm flipping through CDs in the car and looking at them through the corner of my eye, I want to recognize them right away. Can't do that when they all look the same.

And I haven't illegally downloaded an mp3 in 5 years. And even when I did, it was always just to tide me over til I got my ass to the store and bought the real CD, so it wasn't truly stealing in my eyes since the artist did get their due money from me.

This is why all these goddamn concerts cost an arm and a leg.

Too bad more people aren't like me. This applies to all areas of life, too. The world would be a whole lot better if more people were like me.

Edited by DirtyDeeds

Man, I still buy albums. As long as albums are available somewhere, I'll buy them. I can't make myself buy an mp3 online and download it to a boring grey Memorex disc. I want the whole thing, album art, booklet and all. If I'm flipping through CDs in the car and looking at them through the corner of my eye, I want to recognize them right away. Can't do that when they all look the same.

And I haven't illegally downloaded an mp3 in 5 years. And even when I did, it was always just to tide me over til I got my ass to the store and bought the real CD, so it wasn't truly stealing in my eyes since the artist did get their due money from me.

This is why all these goddamn concerts cost an arm and a leg.

Too bad more people aren't like me. This applies to all areas of life, too. The world would be a whole lot better if more people were like me.

Totally agree--- I still buy an average of 100 cd's a year. Sometimes if I'm on the bubble I will buy anyway to support an up and coming group or local record store. The only things I will download are live performances that would never be released for sale anyway