Jeff Buckley

bluesy

Grace is one of my top 5 favourite albums. It's so unique and pretty, but also very gloomy. That's the kind of substance great art is made up of. It's not mainstream material, but it's easily accessible in a way that is 180 opposite of elementary John Mayer bullcrap. Buckley's music is frail and sensitive, even when he's rocking out to the likes of "Ethereal Life." It takes shape; the natural flow of it unfolds and tells a story; the seemless changes are even sometimes too subtle for the most dedicated listener to detect. It's hard to dissect just because it's so much of an experience that you get caught up in. That's how I feel, anyway.

Is there another album out there that can match the ethereal beauty of this extraordinarily moving piece of work?

Guest Jack_the_ripper

ah the b.c. bandit that continuesly has no clue what he's talking about hits again.

Anyways, Just absolutely brilliant... I bought his live in Chicago dvd, and it comes with the grace EPK, and gained even more respect for the man when I heard his views about music.

If you really really love buckley's work like I do, try to find "sketches for: my sweetheart the drunk." pretty much it was the album he was working on when he died, some are mix and final studio tracks, others are him on a 4 track recorder, and recording drums by smacking the microphone.

Either ways, it proves the guy would never be a 1 hit wonder, cause its absolutely fantastic as well, and it would of grown into something probably as beautiful as grace was. That's whats really beautiful, and tragic about the album... you see the beauty of his talent, but the tragedy that it had to be taken away.

Guest Jack_the_ripper

I was paying close attention to his lyrics on grace... and it's almost like he foretold his own drowning at times.

in grace he says something along the lines of "they will drown my name." and in so real he says: " And I couldnt awake from the nightmare that sucked me in and pulled me under" And he was pulled under by an undercurrent that knocked him out...

Weird.

• 5 months later...
I was paying close attention to his lyrics on grace... and it's almost like he foretold his own drowning at times.

in grace he says something along the lines of "they will drown my name." and in so real he says: " And I couldnt awake from the nightmare that sucked me in and pulled me under" And he was pulled under by an undercurrent that knocked him out...

Weird.

Indeed.

There was definitely something supernatural about Jeff Buckley.

Some videos for those who don't know him:

Grace (live): http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/searc...f-buckley_music

Eternal Life (live): http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/searc...rnal-life_music

Grace: http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/searc...ley-grace_music

So Real: http://youtube.com/watch?v=WolmjxD4hn4

Lots of Jeff's videos on dailymotion, more than on youtube !

Edited by axlfan88

I thought Jeff Buckley was fantastic. Such a shame he was taken from us so early.

Grace is one of my favourite albums. It's just a great album to sit back and chill out while listening. I especially enjoyed his cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" - from the different versions I've heard, I think Buckley's is the best.

Buckley was talented. So was his father. I actually prefer Tim's work because its style was more to my tastes, but there's no denying Jeff had a great voice. Robert Plant was a big fan of his early on and it's easy to see why - some of those songs on Grace have a Led Zeppelin thing going on. Last Goodbye could have easily been a Page/Plant number, and what about Eternal Life? Those riffs are pure Zep. It would have been really interesting to see where he went later on - I have a feeling he would have moved into new territory and experimented with a lot of different styles.

His "Hallelujah" cover is good, but I actually prefer John Cale's. Many people assume Buckley was covering Cohen but if you pay attention to the dynamics of the two songs and the lyrics Cale added, it's clear Buckley was covering Cale more than Cohen. The lyrics and structure of Buckley's song are borrowed from Cale.

Compare the beauty of Cale's to the dry, cynical style of Cohen's.

Edited by Estranged Reality