MCR isn't Emo?

inthisriver

Found this while scanning Ultimate Guitar. I'd always thought, they were considered emo. But that term is thrown around pretty carelessly. I can't say I'm a fan of MCR but there are a few songs that I don't hate.

My Chemical Romance have hit out at the genre of emo calling it “a pile of shit.”

Frontman Gerard Way is clearly irate with media outlets bracketing his band with the tag and decided to hit out.

Way ranted: “Basically, it's never been accurate to describe us. Emo bands were being booked while we were touring with Christian metal bands because no one would book us on tours.

“I think emo is fucking garbage, it's bullshit. I think there's bands that unfortunately we get lumped in with that are considered emo and by default that starts to make us emo.”

He finished to student website The Maine Campus: “All I can say is anyone actually listening to the records put the records next to each other and listen to them and there's actually no similarities. I think emo's a pile of shit.”

Thanks for the info to Gigwise.com.

ultimateguitar...

Well, technically any band is emo. If a band doesn't have emotion then it's shit. But no, I never thought MCR were the "depressed and slit wrists" type of emo. Really good band that gets burned for no apparent reason.

The reason is actually fairly apparent. They blow. Hard.

That's nice... but are you gonna give out some reasons as to why "they blow"? Or are you just gonna be like every other MCR basher and say "THEY SUCK" without anything else to back it up?

Guest Jack_the_ripper

man, if we were to go on the basis of what is considered emo, people could go ahead and say Dylan is emo... Anyone remember his album blood on the tracks?

Well, technically any band is emo. If a band doesn't have emotion then it's shit. But no, I never thought MCR were the "depressed and slit wrists" type of emo. Really good band that gets burned for no apparent reason.

That's nice... but are you gonna give out some reasons as to why "they blow"? Or are you just gonna be like every other MCR basher and say "THEY SUCK" without anything else to back it up?

No, I'll provide a reason.

is the reason.

No, I'll provide a reason.

is the reason.

Can you provide a VALID reason then?

I can just as easily say AC/DC suck and show a video of You Shook Me All Night Long as "proof" and still be in the same position as you.

It's sad how so many people can be so narrow-minded. :sleeper:

I'm open-minded. But I'm not going to let my brain fall out. I was born with the gift of discerning what sucks and what doesn't. Everyone is born with this gift. Unfortunately, many people do not use this gift, and therefore lose the ability.

Come on... the generic bad singing... the sappy-as-fuck lyrics... the same annoying drum beat the whole tune... mediocre-at-best overall musicianship? What is there to actually like there?

And another thing... when a huge mass of people constantly criticise a band or something, there's likely actually something to that. It's not all people following a trend.

Edited by DirtyDeeds

personally, I don't like MCR because they bring nothing new to the table... just the same generic bullshit we always get from most modern bands, no matter what they label themselves as, the only reason any of them ever seem to be on top of anything is because they make themselves LOOK different from their suroundings... few modern acts have the balls to SOUND different than the genre they wanna be in.

well, thats who emo's listen to...

i never really liked them but towards the end of the summer this girl was giving me a ride and she had MCR playing in her car, and I was surprised at how cool their guitar solos were... i was just like, i really dislike this band, but.... good guitar solos in popular music! :o

i'll admit i felt good about that

i gotta good reason why i hate them

cause it's my opinion, and any person that has to give a reason for an opinion must have been asked by someone with thier head so far up their ass that they don't know what one is

now, i'm ok with a person that hates acdc cause it's their opinion, but don't be dumb enough to need a reason

Edited by Bucketslash

well, thats who emo's listen to...

i never really liked them but towards the end of the summer this girl was giving me a ride and she had MCR playing in her car, and I was surprised at how cool their guitar solos were... i was just like, i really dislike this band, but.... good guitar solos in popular music! :o

i'll admit i felt good about that

That's kind of how I feel about Avenged Sevenfold. Their riffs and songs suck, but their solos are straight up Eddie Van Halen shit! Even though it's not very original, I still dig a solo with that kind of sound to it.

I actually don't mind a few of these so called "emo" bands. MCR have a couple of songs that really aren't that bad. There's this other band called The Used that have a song called "The Bird and the Worm" that I don't mind either.

If you ask me, pop-punk bands like Sum 41 and Good Charlotte are far more irritating than these guys. That's just me though.