I don't get it

bax

I love this section-I really do. I've gotten turned on to a lot of bands I never would've been open to before because of threads here. It bugs me though when I see polls/topics trying to objectively judge one band/artist as better or worse than another. How can anyone be objective about this? Everyone has their likes and dislikes and they are not going to be judged on the same criteria by all members. I know it's fun to debate with people, but it just seems pointless in a way to me. Am I the only one who sees it this way?

I love this section-I really do. I've gotten turned on to a lot of bands I never would've been open to before because of threads here. It bugs me though when I see polls/topics trying to objectively judge one band/artist as better or worse than another. How can anyone be objective about this? Everyone has their likes and dislikes and they are not going to be judged on the same criteria by all members. I know it's fun to debate with people, but it just seems pointless in a way to me. Am I the only one who sees it this way?

i sorta feel the same way.what bothers me most is when someone says just by the name of the band that it is cheesy or no good.as long as a band/musician sells one album they have a fan and if that is what that fan likes so be it.rock on and enjoy

goddammit, we park our cars in the same garage dude. music aint about better or worse, its about different and its about where you are as a person or who you are that governs your response to it. i think, with a level of understand one can learn to appreciate (if not like) all music equally. to me with music its just a i'm waiting for the time whereupon i'll respond to this kind of music. i do think it IS possible to be objective in the vs threads but...ultimately its all bullshit. one of few threads that i can be found trading back on forth on that kind of topic is the Who betta, nirvana or gnr thing and the only reason i did that is cuz it was a guns fan on a guns forum looking for a whole bunch of people looking to congratulate each other at the expense of one of my all time favorite bands so...y'know, not having that.

but yeah, the problem is we exist in a society where music is measured by its commercial palletability. being top of the charts, for what its worth, is SUPPOSED to mean something. this is where the nature of competition enters into music. i think its very healthy and productive when it makes artists up their game a little but...in any other sense it is literally ridiculous and non-sensical and in a way it cheaps and bleeds the...artistic end of it because people seem to think compromising the artistic integrity of their shit is an acceptable way to join this big popularity contest and get ahead.