System of a Down - Toxicity

Dead Flower

Simply put, this album remains one of the best and freshest rock/metal releases of all time. I probably didn't really appreciate just how good it was at first, but over the years I've found myself loving it more and more with every listen.

For me it's like Faith No More on steroids... almost like they listened to The Gentle Art Of Making Enemies and decided to make similar shit, but louder, heavier and even more fucking insane.

No wanking around, though. The majority of songs are short, sharp and under 4 minutes, yet they cram so much into each of them. The lyrics can be overly political at times, but nicely balanced by fun shit like Bounce. They were even singing songs about Tapeworms (check out Needles) well before Scotty boy in Sucker Train Blues.

Cool riffs, sweet drumming, great harmonies, and Rubin got the production perfect.

The songs are all so even, but my top five would be:

- Atwa

- Prison Song

- Chop Suey!

- Aerials

- Deer Dance

Simply put, this album remains one of the best and freshest rock/metal releases of all time. I probably didn't really appreciate just how good it was at first, but over the years I've found myself loving it more and more with every listen.

For me it's like Faith No More on steroids... almost like they listened to The Gentle Art Of Making Enemies and decided to make similar shit, but louder, heavier and even more fucking insane.

No wanking around, though. The majority of songs are short, sharp and under 4 minutes, yet they cram so much into each of them. The lyrics can be overly political at times, but nicely balanced by fun shit like Bounce. They were even singing songs about Tapeworms (check out Needles) well before Scotty boy in Sucker Train Blues.

Cool riffs, sweet drumming, great harmonies, and Rubin got the production perfect.

The songs are all so even, but my top five would be:

- Atwa

- Prison Song

- Chop Suey!

- Aerials

- Deer Dance

I think I hate that band. :blink:

These are the guys who wore puppets of Chevy Chase on their fingers at a gig, right?

Fucking hate System Of A Down.

Damn right.

Great contribution.

Well ok, let me then just say that I think their music sounds like it shouldn't be listened to by an epileptic 'cause it might cause an attack. Seriously, their music isn't something I want to sit through for listening pleasure. Sometimes they have their melodic, listenable moments but then they go and destroy it with their stupid "let's go crazy and produce noise" antics. What a waste of a band.

Fucking hate System Of A Down.

Damn right.

Great contribution.

Well ok, let me then just say that I think their music sounds like it shouldn't be listened to by an epileptic 'cause it might cause an attack. Seriously, their music isn't something I want to sit through for listening pleasure. Sometimes they have their melodic, listenable moments but then they go and destroy it with their stupid "let's go crazy and produce noise" antics. What a waste of a band.

Nothing wrong with a bit of contrast. It shows that they can do the heavy stuff as well as the more harmonious songs. Its metal, its not supposed to be safe all the time. Beats repetitive ways of songwriting that so many others do. Like BYOB, the songs got frantic verses, with a catchy as fuck chorus.

Reminds me of when I played Metallicas Battery to my history teacher. He loved it up until they 'ruined it' with distortion.

System of a Down is awesome. I especially liked them when they put out their first album. Now that Serj went solo, it kinda ruined the whole vibe. Yeah, his solo CD is pretty nice, but nothing comes close to the original SOAD that put out that first CD years ago.

Oh yeah, Toxicity is pretty good. :tongue2:

Nothing wrong with a bit of contrast. It shows that they can do the heavy stuff as well as the more harmonious songs. Its metal, its not supposed to be safe all the time. Beats repetitive ways of songwriting that so many others do. Like BYOB, the songs got frantic verses, with a catchy as fuck chorus.

Yes. For the most part they dispense with the normal notions of songwriting in rock/metal, and their songs are just completely off the wall. So many different transitions, singing styles and contrasts within each individual song - and they just cram it all into a three minutes track, rather than extending and bloating it. Even when they do repeat certain parts, they nearly always seem to change it up slightly. You can barely catch your breath when you listen to 'em, and the frantic style probably puts a lot of people off at first.