Led Zeppelin

KBear

Just felt like starting a LZ thread as their reunion show is a month away (home stretch!) and I'm increasingly becoming interested in this band.

I've always known a bunch of their songs as my Dad was into LZ, but I'm just now going to buy some of their albums for myself and there are probably a fair number of songs I've yet to hear. I'll start off with Houses of the Holy and III, mainly because my two favourite songs are off those albums. Over the Hills and Far Away (which is a song I've known and dug for many years), and Tangerine, which believe it or not I had no idea of this song's existence a mere two weeks ago. I heard it on the radio and immediately went online to find out what it was. Fuckin' awesome tune - it just might be my new favorite song. Immigrant Song is another great track. Yeah, I know, there's a bunch more.

So what songs are your favourites? What albums do you like most?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Songs:

Achilles Last Stand

Stairway To Heaven

The Song Remains The Same

Boogie With Stu

Ten Years Gone

Out On The Tiles

Battle Of Evermore

Carousembala

Fool In The Rain

Four Sticks

No Quarter

Rain Song

Tea For One

Travelling Riverside Blues

Hey Hey What Can I Do?

and everything else they ever did...

Albums: all of them.

Songs:

Achilles Last Stand

Stairway To Heaven

The Song Remains The Same

Boogie With Stu

Ten Years Gone

Out On The Tiles

Battle Of Evermore

Carousembala

Fool In The Rain

Four Sticks

No Quarter

Rain Song

Tea For One

Hey Hey What Can I Do?

and everything else they ever did...

Albums: all of them.

couldn't have said it better myself

especially achilles :)

I also enjoy most of roberts solo work especially now and zen, stuff with strange sensation, and his latest with alison krauss...I should really make a thread on that...

page's solo stuff is bland. especially the shit with coverdale.

Edited by stevGNR666

I also enjoy most of roberts solo work especially now and zen, stuff with strange sensation, and his latest with alison krauss...I should really make a thread on that...

I have all of Plant's solo stuff, other than the newest one, which I'll get soon. It's all excellent. I like a lot of it more than Zeppelin. I think his covers album, "Dreamland" is ESPECIALLY good. All those songs he made completely his. Totally different, totally awesome. Mighty Rearranger was great, especially because I saw him live in the front row on that tour haha.

I also agree about Page's solo stuff, except with the Black Crowes. However, all that was was the Black Crowes playing Zeppelin songs and a couple of their own songs, so that doesn't really count I suppose.

Plant's solo stuff is ok, but not really even that good. But he's had some standout moments like 2 or 3 songs on Fate Of Nations. But the voice just isn't there.

I love the work JPJ did with Diamanda Galas, and his own solo albums Zooma and Thunderthief.

Page is hit or miss depending on the album and song but there's also some killer riffs and solos in there, particularly on Outrider. Great work with Roy Harper as well, and of course the Death Wish II soundtrack. Midnight Moonlight should've been a Zeppelin song.

When The Levee Breaks

Tangerine

Over the Hills and Far Away (preferably the How the West was Won version)

Hot Dog

Your Time Is Gonna Come

Fool In The Rain

Going To California

Night Flight

Thank You

What Is And What Should Never Be

Ramble On

Down By The Seaside

Etc

I have all of Plant's solo stuff, other than the newest one, which I'll get soon. It's all excellent. I like a lot of it more than Zeppelin. I think his covers album, "Dreamland" is ESPECIALLY good. All those songs he made completely his. Totally different, totally awesome. Mighty Rearranger was great, especially because I saw him live in the front row on that tour haha.

I also agree about Page's solo stuff, except with the Black Crowes. However, all that was was the Black Crowes playing Zeppelin songs and a couple of their own songs, so that doesn't really count I suppose.

I'm just missing the honey drippers albums he did in the mid 80s? doing doo-wop and stuff - need to pick that up. I also saw Plant on the rearanger tour a couple years ago and I would agree...it was a transcendental experience. The new album is fantastic...effortless and beautiful all around. Really eclectic choice of songs as well. The Black Crowes album doesn't count in my opinion as a solo album really.

Plant's solo stuff is ok, but not really even that good. But he's had some standout moments like 2 or 3 songs on Fate Of Nations. But the voice just isn't there.

I love the work JPJ did with Diamanda Galas, and his own solo albums Zooma and Thunderthief.

Page is hit or miss depending on the album and song but there's also some killer riffs and solos in there, particularly on Outrider. Great work with Roy Harper as well, and of course the Death Wish II soundtrack. Midnight Moonlight should've been a Zeppelin song.

Now and Zen is a fantastic Plant album from 88 and I'm also a fan of Manic Nirvana from '90 which has Tie Dye on the Highway :wub:

I also enjoy the world music he does later - especially that one song off of 66 to timbuktu from timbuktu "Win My Train Fair Home" Personally i dig the strange sensation as a band and they have a really good groove going.

I hated Outrider...ugh...just boring redux in my opinion...perhaps I should listen to it again, it's been years...

I'm not really all too familiar with his other stuff other than cloverdale which was a let down.

I saw JPJ this past summer and thought he was one of the greatest performers I've ever seen on the bass...never got into solo stuff but I should...