1989 summer of rave documentary

lawrence

this documentary is a must see for anyone around in the 80's

all your old 80's favourite groups are included

i was around then & attending raves it was without a doubt the best fun ive had

shows you the police raids at the illegal events, shows you what a friendly atmosphere there was

not like todays world full of violence & hate.

& remember we didn't follow fashion-we made it

this is part 1 of 6

the other 5 episodes can be found on the right of the youtube page

click here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmCwiqa3Tro

this era will never be repeated

i miss it loads

truly original...shame this shit never caught on properly over here :(

its an awesome part of my life i'll never forget, even the hardcore football hooligans got in on it

everyone loved eachother,you wouldn't beleive some of the sights i saw

i had girls in different towns who loved da lawrence

me & about 20 mates dancing around the car on mcdonalds car park pilled off our heads

black & white trully united

but all good things come to an end

i'd do it again tommorrow

i'd probably still be doing it now if i hadn't fell for my wife, but ive no regrets on that score

take it to the limit one more time

Edited by lawrence

its an awesome part of my life i'll never forget, even the hardcore football hooligans got in on it

everyone loved eachother,you wouldn't beleive some of the sites i saw

me & about 20 mates dancing around the car on mcdonalds car park pilled off our heads

not only that but it was musically fucking original too. if you think about it, dance music, aside from okay reggae i guess was the only really truly innovative format of music since rock n roll. here in america it just got lumped into this stereotype and not a lot of people got into it, its somehow related to the gay scene, well, not somehow, a lot of dance music did come out of that whole scene but it aint got jackshit to do with it. nothing catches on in america unless theres a clearly defined market and you dont have to think too much. damn fuckin shame though, it really is...the whole culture (from what i can gather) is like...an ideological progression from hippies with the difference that people in the rave scene didnt take no shit but no one was giving it either at the time so...i dunno, i would've liked to've been around Chicago and shit, hell, even england when it was all REALLY going down...seems like a great time, a sadly ignored time too. people harp on about the 60s and the golden age of rock n roll and punk rock and blah blah blah but they totally miss out on this shit and i dont understand that because it was just as much a cultural phenomenon as the latter were.

i was here, carl cox-3 deck wizard

lucky bastard. dont you think that the moment the media caught on to it and labelled the whole culture as some kind of drug-related manifesto for anarchists the whole thing was kinda dead in the water though?

yes, my parents weren't impressed

undercover police used to approach you inside the clubs & ask if you had E'S for sale, you could spot them a mile off cos they had normal eyes lol

lucky bastard. dont you think that the moment the media caught on to it and labelled the whole culture as some kind of drug-related manifesto for anarchists the whole thing was kinda dead in the water though?

undercover police used to approach you inside the clubs & ask if you had E'S for sale, you could spot them a mile off cos they had normal eyes lol

best way to tell a cop is the way he walks, cops have flat feet. watch the fucker dance and you pretty much for him over a barrel :lol:

Cops were still doin that here when i was goin to raves here about 6 or 7 years ago, They might still for all i know.

I used to be really into that whole second summer of love idea, i was only 7 in 89 though. I got into the roses and the mondays and house music when i was about 13. I cant bring myself to listen to much house music though now, it just makes me wana take drugs and i cant take em any more due to health reasons. But fuck some of the best times iv ever had were when i was takin pills and gear, awesome, awesome times.

I hate raves, ravers, kndy rvrz, it's all the same crap to me.

why come into the thread then? :monkey:

Because I want to see the reasons why people like this kind of music..

Drugs.

it aint all about the drugs, it was the atmosphere aswell & the movement, we were in on something most of the country knew nothing about,until the media got there hands on it.

if you weren't there you wouldn't understand

everyone loved eachother,you wouldn't beleive some of the sites i saw

not only that but it was musically fucking original too. if you think about it, dance music, aside from okay reggae i guess was the only really truly innovative format of music since rock n roll. here in america it just got lumped into this stereotype and not a lot of people got into it, its somehow related to the gay scene, well, not somehow, a lot of dance music did come out of that whole scene but it aint got jackshit to do with it. nothing catches on in america unless theres a clearly defined market and you dont have to think too much. damn fuckin shame though, it really is...the whole culture (from what i can gather) is like...an ideological progression from hippies with the difference that people in the rave scene didnt take no shit but no one was giving it either at the time so...i dunno, i would've liked to've been around Chicago and shit, hell, even england when it was all REALLY going down...seems like a great time, a sadly ignored time too. people harp on about the 60s and the golden age of rock n roll and punk rock and blah blah blah but they totally miss out on this shit and i dont understand that because it was just as much a cultural phenomenon as the latter were.

Thats true man, lots of people that hear me listening to trance/rave music instantly relate it to the gay scene. In my city it has become pretty popular, this is thanks to the likes of tiesto, paul van dyk, armin buuren.