Guitar Wankery

Mutant Rose

I'm guessing your husband is an Ozzy/Black Sabbath fan?

Just putting things together...the 'Heavy Metal Lennon' and this thread...

What CD is he listening to? 'Cos I don't think the original 'Paranoid' has guitar wanking on it...but then again, I havn't heard it in awhile.

LOL maybe your definition and mind of wankery is not the same. I will have to ask which album, because it is a CD he burned from various CD's It is a live version and the song is brilliant except for one part that just seems like screetching. and yes my husband is indeed a Black Sabbath/ Ozzy fan and him introducing me to his heavier music is one of the best things he has done for me (and he has done many wonderful things) I have always had very ecclectic music tastes, but listened to very little metal. I guess if old age is our second childhood I am officially in my second adolecence and loving it.

What CD is he listening to? 'Cos I don't think the original 'Paranoid' has guitar wanking on it...but then again, I havn't heard it in awhile.

LOL maybe your definition and mind of wankery is not the same. I will have to ask which album, because it is a CD he burned from various CD's It is a live version and the song is brilliant except for one part that just seems like screetching. and yes my husband is indeed a Black Sabbath/ Ozzy fan and him introducing me to his heavier music is one of the best things he has done for me (and he has done many wonderful things) I have always had very ecclectic music tastes, but listened to very little metal. I guess if old age is our second childhood I am officially in my second adolecence and loving it.

Damn that sounds cool :) I think some of the older songs played by New GN'R could do with a bit less of the ol' wankery. Not that I don't love them as they are or anything :wub:

It's probably with Zakk then most likely, 'cos I know he likes to wank on the guitar a lot. Probably from Live & Loud or Live at Budokan...

Wankery is different from guitar player to guitar player, if done right it makes a song for me. You could say that every song on AFD (minus SCOM) has guitar wankery and it's brilliant.

Hate to disagree, but Slash doesn't do wankery. Every solo no matter how long is brilliant and adds something to the song. Have you listened to his Snake pit version of Wild Horses? It is the best damn version ever of that song. Slash is a guitar GOD!!!!

Wankery = oohhh listen to me I am such a bad ass guitar player What Slash does is Connect to everyone who is willing to lisen on a very real emotional/gut level. It is almost a spiritual thing and that certainly dioes not qualify as wankery

Bowies Sweet Thing. Hes a good a guitarist, but Bowie can't do a great solo.

Actually, thats not really wankery, but a kinda crap solo.

Guitar wankery means nothing to me anymore. I ended caring when Dragonforce came out. Just a bunch of geeks who think faster is always better.

Wankery is different from guitar player to guitar player, if done right it makes a song for me. You could say that every song on AFD (minus SCOM) has guitar wankery and it's brilliant.

Hate to disagree, but Slash doesn't do wankery. Every solo no matter how long is brilliant and adds something to the song. Have you listened to his Snake pit version of Wild Horses? It is the best damn version ever of that song. Slash is a guitar GOD!!!!

Wankery = oohhh listen to me I am such a bad ass guitar player What Slash does is Connect to everyone who is willing to lisen on a very real emotional/gut level. It is almost a spiritual thing and that certainly dioes not qualify as wankery

LOL After listening to Paradise city recently I must say I am totally full of crap, However in my own defense anyone that looks that fine while playing that good can wank all they want to :)~

Edited by Mutant Rose

I tend to think of wankery when the song's just staying in one key, and instead of progressing harmonicaly or melodically, the guitarist just does runs or taps.

I think Slash's solos are, for the most part, prime examples of how to write solos. Lots of key modulations and the guitar stuff goes back and forth from soaring melodies to funky harmonized parts (but not produced harmonies -- like Chuck Berry style stuff). The WTTJ solo is a prime example.

Very good point. I think the other reason I don't generally think of Slash's playing as wankery is because he just seems like he is inviting us to a party instead of showing off. I don't know if that makes sense, but it is the oppisate of how Eddie (Van Halen) comes across to me The bigest wanker of all time in my opinion.