I need help choosing a new TV

Estranged Reality

I'm starting to shop for a HD tv too.

I like the Sony, specially since my last sony lasted 20 years and is still working great :)

I saw a nice deal lately, the bravi 42", home theater system and a Xbox360 for 1700$

I've never had an HD TV before, it's going to be a family Christmas present. The Xbox deal sounds good. I just bought a 360 last month and I can't wait to hook it up to an HD TV.

I like the looks of the Sony, but I think the quality of plasma from what I've seen is a bit nicer, a bit brighter really. Also, it's four inches larger. :lol:

But I don't know. I've heard some people claim Plasma burns out after not too long and can leave "imprints" in the TV if you, for example, pause your videogame and forget to turn off the TV.

But I don't know. I've heard some people claim Plasma burns out after not too long and can leave "imprints" in the TV if you, for example, pause your videogame and forget to turn off the TV.

That is true. I personally would go with the LCD. I just helped a friend pick out a tv and sugested a 60 inch LCD, and he's very happy with it.

Check this article out, it might be helpful:

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108443-2....smavslcd?tag=ms

Also, if you get HDMI cables, don't let them con you into buying the expensive ones. HDMI cables use a digital signal, so the TV either recieves a signal or it doesn't. Expensive HDMI cables are a rip-off. If you want good cables, check out cablestogo.com or tigerdirect.com.

I like the Sony, specially since my last sony lasted 20 years and is still working great :)

I saw a nice deal lately, the bravi 42", home theater system and a Xbox360 for 1700$

I've never had an HD TV before, it's going to be a family Christmas present. The Xbox deal sounds good. I just bought a 360 last month and I can't wait to hook it up to an HD TV.

I like the looks of the Sony, but I think the quality of plasma from what I've seen is a bit nicer, a bit brighter really. Also, it's four inches larger. :lol:

Ok...

I sell LCD and Plasma TV's as part of my job (I work in a department store). Everyone will tell you something different when you ask about LCD vs Plasma, but here is my opinion.

In smaller TV's, LCD reigns supreme. Anything over 42", plasma is the bees knees. Yes, plasma CAN burn if you pause a TV for a day or two, but there are anti-burn functions in most Plasmas nowdays to get rid of that ghosting effect created by plasma burn.... so it's not really an issue anymore. As for Plasmas dying, this was true with the first generation of plasma TVs, but the new ones claim to last for 20+ years, so that's not really an issue anymore either.

In Plasma TV's, you really can't go past Pioneer... they're far and away the best plasmas on the market (they have a price tag to go with it too though). Panasonics aren't bad, probably better than the Sonys. Stay well away from LG - they look really nice but have a shitty picture and die frequently.

Ok...

I sell LCD and Plasma TV's as part of my job (I work in a department store). Everyone will tell you something different when you ask about LCD vs Plasma, but here is my opinion.

In smaller TV's, LCD reigns supreme. Anything over 42", plasma is the bees knees. Yes, plasma CAN burn if you pause a TV for a day or two, but there are anti-burn functions in most Plasmas nowdays to get rid of that ghosting effect created by plasma burn.... so it's not really an issue anymore. As for Plasmas dying, this was true with the first generation of plasma TVs, but the new ones claim to last for 20+ years, so that's not really an issue anymore either.

In Plasma TV's, you really can't go past Pioneer... they're far and away the best plasmas on the market (they have a price tag to go with it too though). Panasonics aren't bad, probably better than the Sonys. Stay well away from LG - they look really nice but have a shitty picture and die frequently.

Thanks, mate. Unfortunately since it's a family Christmas gift the decision of which TV to get isn't really up to me as far as brand name; it's Black Friday tomorrow and the two sets I gave links two in the OP are the ones going on sale very cheap so it'll probably have to be one of those two. Thanks for the input, I think I'm definitely leaning more towards plasma - I already was a bit but wasn't quite sure about burn-ins and all.

I'd go for the Plasma then. They're better for DVDs and also for gaming (IMO) because the response times are better than on an LCD. You also need to remember that with an LCD, the backlight is always on, so you never get a true representation of black on your screen like you do with plasma. The black colour on a TV is one of the most important elements in colour composition - the darker your black, the richer your image.

Enjoy your TV! :D

Ok...

I have a question about burn. My wife has sometimes fallen asleep while watching dvd and at the end the menu will come on. Sometimes for up to 8 hrs. Is there a risk of burn in on a CRT projection tv?

Edited by Becket

Ok...

I have a question about burn. My wife has sometimes fallen asleep while watching dvd and at the end the menu will come on. Sometimes for up to 8 hrs. Is there a risk of burn in on a CRT projection tv?

Yes, if you have a CRT then burns can appear on screen. Not sure if 8 hours would be enough to cause any marks though.