Buddy Holly

ffrankwhite

Any fans of ol' Buddy? i think he was great, really fucking underappreciated too, had a great sense of rhythm, wrote the catchiest songs, had really a kind of off beat look but it just worked great. that stuttered vocal delivery in songs like Peggy Sue that he used so well, his far reaching influence to everyone from the beatles t dylan and really paved the way for rock n rollers. one of the earliest of rock n rollers to write his own songs and get down like that. an absolute gem of a performer. any fans? :)

• 5 months later...

im STUNNED theres no love for Bud' up in here...pretty much ALL of rock n roll owes something to Buddy Holly. and besides all that he was fucking awesome per se. REALLY astonishing..

Edited by ffrankwhite

I enjoy listening to him. I find it pretty hard to "get into" old-school rock n' roll and blues, not because of the music but rather the availability and just...choice of albums out there. It's quite daunting and I've never been able to get my head around it all to have any sort of significant knowlege.

I enjoy listening to him. I find it pretty hard to "get into" old-school rock n' roll and blues, not because of the music but rather the availability and just...choice of albums out there. It's quite daunting and I've never been able to get my head around it all to have any sort of significant knowlege.

should just dive in man :) i feel like i was born with...these songs programmed in me. maybe it has something to do with being an american but i cant remember not knowing the rough outline of the words to songs like Tutti Frutti, Hound Dog, That'll Be The Day, Great Balls of Fire, Johnny B Goode. thought it was like that for everyone, y'know, its like knowing humpty dumpty i thought. i guess not :(

Music scenes are EXTREMELY different all around the world. You would be surprised at what artists are big in other places and how some who are very succesful where you live are almost unknown somewhere else - one of the things I've learned from the Internet in general and this forum in particular.

Music scenes are EXTREMELY different all around the world. You would be surprised at what artists are big in other places and how some who are very succesful where you live are almost unknown somewhere else - one of the things I've learned from the Internet in general and this forum in particular.

i wouldn't say Buddys inordinarily big...well yeah, i guess he is in the legend sense. thought the legends of rock n roll were pretty universal. it being a genre and thus not limited to nationality or geography. i do see what you mean and everything i just dont think its applicable to Buddy. then again, perhaps it is..

• 11 months later...
Guest deleted_19765

I'm glad I used the search function before creating my own thread, because this one deserved more attention.

Buddy was just far ahead of his time, or rather, the time to come was so indicative of Buddy. He used harmony and song structures similar to The Beatles' material during the mid-60s. He could rock with the best of them or sing the blues, and his syrupy ballad-type songs are wonderful as well! He could really do anything. What a talent.

Guest Apollo

Buddy would have been the King if he had not died early.

Buddy WROTE his songs, whereas Elvis had help.

Buddy is my favorite singer of all time after Axl.

• 10 months later...
Guest deleted_19765

"Crying, Waiting, Hoping" is one of the best terrifically sad up tempo songs. Anyone else a big fan of this one?

Edited by AgainstAllOdds

His version of Brown Eyed Handsome Man is phenomenal! I've been listening to it like crazy for the past few months. Definitely my favorite rock 'n' roll (classical sense) song.

Other favorites: Look At Me, Everyday, Peggy Sue Got Married and a bunch of others.

I don't have any albums, but I've got a two disc compilation with 50 songs on it. I suppose that should be enough.