Johnny Rotten - painful interview

Estranged Reality

The company/band thing is hilarious. Like they tried to be a band, or be the best band they could be, which meant not dealing with the idustry but then that back fired, so they are completely fucked, so they split it into two divisions, The company stuff they have to do, sarcastically for money, and the music and being a band as they see it should. This is illustrated by the actually interview, the big tv station wanting them to be celebrities and chatty and them, well just being them. Lydon could have explained it better. He was hoping that the interviewer was going catch every snide comment as his point.

Cut to 2008. No one cares about this. Even Lydon gave up. Just does the bullshit Sex Pistols for money and everyones loves. Bands can sell out as hard as they want and its cool to just solely do movie soundtracks for big Hollywood movies. Postmodernism: the silent revolution.

Sometimes I wonder what exactly is his point. Nothing a good stint in the army wouldn't cure. :rofl-lol:

his point is be yourself, be honest, be original.

I don't see what was so honest or original about being a snotty art student with an overinflated ego. Go to any art college, they're full of Johnny Rottens and have been ever since Dylan's 1960's press conferences. The difference being that Dylan has talent and charisma:

Edited by Elnombre

Sometimes I wonder what exactly is his point. Nothing a good stint in the army wouldn't cure. :rofl-lol:

I don't see what was so honest or original about being a snotty art student with an overinflated ego. Go to any art college, they're full of Johnny Rottens and have been ever since Dylan's 1960's press conferences. The difference being that Dylan has talent and charisma:

oh and Dylan was devoid of ego huh?!?! please :rolleyes: ...Rotten in his career has made more innovative forward moving music than Dylan...for a fact. Rotten had enough charisma to spearhead a revolution in music, i think that'll do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnBq98uUJE4&NR=1

how much more original can you get than that...musically?? or this..

Edited by ffrankwhite

Dylan's press conferences were just an example of someone being asked questions which they feel they don't know the answer to. College students are the same, they have a talent but they haven't realised you have to suck up to everyone, play nice.

Extroverts like Courtney Love get louder as you press them on things.

Introverts like Dylan/Lydon get more obtuse. Artists are more likely to be introverts.

People mistake self consciousness for arrogance. Shy or self conscious people have to recreate themselves to talk to people, they have design a self and then answer accordingly, because there true-self is unlovable.

An artist is fundamentally a person who has no self. The self has been destroyed by something. That's why authenticity means so much to Lydon, it's because that's his self, his soul. The act of creating fills up that void in himself. He reinvents him self in a perfect way, or tries at least...

So when they ask questions about his music and get it wrong it's like someone saying to you "Which part of New York do you live in?" When you live in London. And everyone knows this.

I don't know if anyone gets what I'm saying?

Maybe I'm wrong maybe he's just a prick.

Dylan's press conferences were just an example of someone being asked questions which they feel they don't know the answer to. College students are the same, they have a talent but they haven't realised you have to suck up to everyone, play nice.

Extroverts like Courtney Love get louder as you press them on things.

Introverts like Dylan/Lydon get more obtuse. Artists are more likely to be introverts.

People mistake self consciousness for arrogance. Shy or self conscious people have to recreate themselves to talk to people, they have design a self and then answer accordingly, because there true-self is unlovable.

An artist is fundamentally a person who has no self. The self has been destroyed by something. That's why authenticity means so much to Lydon, it's because that's his self, his soul. The act of creating fills up that void in himself. He reinvents him self in a perfect way, or tries at least...

So when they ask questions about his music and get it wrong it's like someone saying to you "Which part of New York do you live in?" When you live in London. And everyone knows this.

I don't know if anyone gets what I'm saying?

Maybe I'm wrong maybe he's just a prick.

best post ever :)

That interview is utterly brilliant :rofl-lol:

finally someone sees the funny side of it. what would you rather, handshaking and "i think this is my best work" and "well, i'll tell ya, a funny thing happened to me on the way to the studio today" i like this, it was awkward, funny and different. television is entertainment and i found this massively entertaining :lol:

That interview is utterly brilliant :rofl-lol:

finally someone sees the funny side of it. what would you rather, handshaking and "i think this is my best work" and "well, i'll tell ya, a funny thing happened to me on the way to the studio today" i like this, it was awkward, funny and different. television is entertainment and i found this massively entertaining :lol:

Of course I see the funny side, it's hilarious :D

The whole thing is amazing, and like you said it's a lot more interesting than your "ordinary" interview. Absolutely brilliant.

I didn't find it funny. I could just see that the interviewer didn't get it. And Lydon wasn't going to explain it. But Lydon was also very angry that the guy didn't get it. That sort of example of the rage I was talking about. Lydon is very intelligent but he's not an affable character, or a crowd pleaser. I really liked The Company/The Band dynamic. Like he was planning to Sell Out at the Same time as not compromising.

oh and Dylan was devoid of ego huh?!?! please :rolleyes: ...Rotten in his career has made more innovative forward moving music than Dylan...for a fact. Rotten had enough charisma to spearhead a revolution in music, i think that'll do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnBq98uUJE4&NR=1

how much more original can you get than that...musically?? or this..

1. I never said Dylan was devoid of ego, or even suggested it.

2. Anyone who says Rotten has made more forward moving music than the guy who brought poetry to rock music, transformed The Beatles songwriting, popularized the protest song, launched the Rolling Thunder Revue, and pretty much invented punk with his 1966 electric shows, doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about.

Besides which, Rotten didn't even mastermind his own band.

The difference between Dylan and Rotten in those clips is, Dylan is giving ridiculous answers to unrealistic questions. Rotten is giving retarded snotty answers to perfectly reasonable questions in an effort to look cool, all the while denying that he cares about how he is perceived.

"A punk is a wise guy who doesn't know how to wipe his own ass" - Steven Tyler.

Edited by Elnombre

Lydon definitely did something with PiL. At least on a par with what Dylan did. Although Dylan's output is less obvious in terms of musical ground broken, he definitely genius. Whether it is poetry, I don't know. Lydon sort of invented a whole new genre of music and an attitude to deal with the industry. Dylan just avoided everything.

2. Anyone who says Rotten has made more forward moving music than the guy who brought poetry to rock music, transformed The Beatles songwriting, popularized the protest song, launched the Rolling Thunder Revue, and pretty much invented punk with his 1966 electric shows, doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about.

the protest song/bringing poetry to rock music, electrifying songs are all very commendable but they do not change the format. protest song/bringing poetry is something specifically to do with songwriting within the standard 3 chord format. listen to PiL, its creating a new format altogether. Dylan worked in and forwarded a genre, Lydon made completely unclassifiable, sonically revolutionary music that amounts to a mite more than plugging in. this is not a slur on Dylans achievements cuz i love the guy, but fact is fact. Lydons early PiL work and his one solo album are...almost indefinable. none of this is a dig at Dylan, i just think you seem to have preconcieved notions about Lydon and perhaps need to investigate his body of work a little further.

Like I said Lydon comes across as arrogant. Maybe by some definitions he is just that. But I suggest that something is at work. I've read quite a few of his quotes and he is often mesmerzingly eloquent. Like Jim Morrison, when he speaks he seems to find something very important and clarifies.

"What's it all about?

They scream and then they shout

Don't ask me

I told you so"