Oh isnt it fashionable to be a Led Zeppelin fan these days?

ffrankwhite

i could be accused of just the same kind of shit really, i've only recently gotten into the Zep and it was through people on this site talking about em (before the reunion though, you'll have to take my word for it :lol:) but...what strikes me as odd is all these unlikely Zep fans coming out of the woodwork. i mean, we're talking about one the biggest bands of all time here so theres always gonna be unlikely fans but, come ooooooon, Naomi Campbell in attendance? gimme a fuckin break. i dunno WHAT it is whether im spiteful or a killjoy or a grump or just a plain asshole but...theres something so sad and tragic about these fucking reunions and i cant fuckin put my finger on what it is (yes, even the sex pistols although its a littttttttttttttttttle different with the boys cuz they dont REALLY take themselves so seriously and...i dunno). doesnt ANYONE else see something even vaguely...sad about this? i mean OK, they were a great band but...look up there, no Bonzo and...lets be honest here, he was pretty fucking integral, not just a replaceable face and more than that...that day is gone and all it serves to remind me of is what a GOD AWFUL fucking state music is in right now that we have nothing, nada, zip of our own and we gotta be fucking listening to these aincient old guys. this demand for reunions points at a truth that i think people are so comfortable in ignoring that they're almost blind to it now. theres really and truly nothing here, the 60s are long swung, 70s are gone, hip hop has hopped out, grunge is dead and we aint got shit...i know, stop moaning about it and go out and change shit. just voicing an opinion, for what its worth. maybe im one of those people who cant enjoy themselves or something, i dunno.

theres just something so sinister...so...un-zep...so....obscene almost about the whole fucking scene. feel free to call me out for being full of shit here but im sure somewhere theres someone who in their heart of hearts...maybe, just a teensy bit has the vaguest twinge of an idea of what im trying to say here.

or not? :unsure:

Edited by ffrankwhite

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen any of the reunion videos? They blew me away, I can't get over how good they are.

But, yeah it annoys me how someone whos only heard of Led Zeppelin since the reunion was announced can get a ticket while someone whos idolised them for most of their life hasn't got a chance in hell. Its like the guy in school who always wore the Zepp t-shirt but didn't really own any albums.

Have you seen any of the reunion videos? They blew me away, I can't get over how good they are.

But, yeah it annoys me how someone whos only heard of Led Zeppelin since the reunion was announced can get a ticket while someone whos idolised them for most of their life hasn't got a chance in hell. Its like the guy in school who always wore the Zepp t-shirt but didn't really own any albums.

see i dont mind the t shirt, thats clothes, i dont give a shit about that but...the way its like...i dunno, im just sounding very elitist and bitchy here but fuck man, a year ago it was rock fans who dug that shit and we were getting to this envoirnment where like young kids were like "beatles who?!?!" y'know and now all of a sudden this shit is popping off and everyone and his mother is a zeppelin fan and y'know what, i'd be happiest if they were but...its not that y'know, its a scene with scene-makers y'know, gala type set up, like turning up to the launch of a fucking boutique or something and its like...okaaaayyy, this is rock n roll. but maybe this is it y'know, maybe this is where rock n roll ends up...as much as i try to be the "nothing is sacred" type (and in many ways i like to believe i am) there is a thing called...integrity, there is a...y'know all this "limited number of tickets" bullshit, i dunno, im a world class whiner i guess. maybe all this shit is a better reflection of where i'm coming from as a person as opposed to anything to do with the band/the state of rock n roll. i cant claim any fucking...in depth thing with rock n roll, for ages all that existed for me was like the all the 50s stuff and then beatles the sex pistols and the rest of punk rock and thats it, so i'm as new to a lot of this as anybody but...i'd like to think i have a good enough bullshit detector to point out when something stinks.

Edited by ffrankwhite

Oh come on, liking "classic rock" is (dare I say) a trend these days. Everyone says they love all the "old bands" and unfortunately for people who actually like Led Zeppelin, they are one of (if not the) biggest "classic rock" band there is. So of course everyone is coming out of the woodworks to say how much they love Zeppelin and the reunion, because it's cool to do so.

Hope that's sorta what you were on about...

Oh come on, liking "classic rock" is (dare I say) a trend these days. Everyone says they love all the "old bands" and unfortunately for people who actually like Led Zeppelin, they are one of (if not the) biggest "classic rock" band there is. So of course everyone is coming out of the woodworks to say how much they love Zeppelin and the reunion, because it's cool to do so.

Hope that's sorta what you were on about...

yeah, thats exactly what im on about man and how that led to these fuckin star studded glittering fucking...performances with Stella McCartney and Lindsay Lohan all gathered to watch this bunch of old men try and be something they were 30 years ago. its...i dunno, i got into Zep like...i think under a year ago and i REALLY liked that thing where, OK, Bonzo's gone, thats it, period. it was just an integrity that ALL my favorite bands from the pistols (although they can be excused really because Matlock was their original bass player) to the who and all in between always just went, ok fuck it, back together it just...i dunno, how do i explain this, you got those fuckin albums and they're all near perfect to me and it was like...it was those four people or not at all y'know? i always thought The Who should've put a full stop on it after Moonie and Zep at least held that up where, ok we're done y'know but...it seems like everyone rolls over sooner or later...given the right amount of money, the right amount of...something. cept of course for those four very special boys from Liverpool god bless em :). it just looks awful to me, it really does and when its all said and done and the hype over this shit is gone (and the hype is only really there because of that "we're done now" mentality) the zep are just gonna join the ranks of "them" y'know, those over there...all the ones that rolled over to....whatever you call it, money, sentimentality, nostalgia...whatever. just seems very...i dunno, cheap?

having said all of that i have absolutely no right to judge how another man makes his living, its not like they're gassing innocent children here, they're musicians playing music so more power to em.

Edited by ffrankwhite

see i dont mind the t shirt, thats clothes, i dont give a shit about that but...the way its like...i dunno, im just sounding very elitist and bitchy here but fuck man, a year ago it was rock fans who dug that shit and we were getting to this envoirnment where like young kids were like "beatles who?!?!" y'know and now all of a sudden this shit is popping off and everyone and his mother is a zeppelin fan and y'know what, i'd be happiest if they were but...its not that y'know, its a scene with scene-makers y'know, gala type set up, like turning up to the launch of a fucking boutique or something and its like...okaaaayyy, this is rock n roll. but maybe this is it y'know, maybe this is where rock n roll ends up...as much as i try to be the "nothing is sacred" type (and in many ways i like to believe i am) there is a thing called...integrity, there is a...y'know all this "limited number of tickets" bullshit, i dunno, im a world class whiner i guess. maybe all this shit is a better reflection of where i'm coming from as a person as opposed to anything to do with the band/the state of rock n roll. i cant claim any fucking...in depth thing with rock n roll, for ages all that existed for me was like the all the 50s stuff and then beatles the sex pistols and the rest of punk rock and thats it, so i'm as new to a lot of this as anybody but...i'd like to think i have a good enough bullshit detector to point out when something stinks.

SMUG ALERT !

Edited by LEARNING PROCESS

SMUG ALERT !

y'know you're probably right :confused:

They haven't really stayed apart until last night though.

They reunited in 1985 for Live Aid

In 1988 for the Atlantic Records anniversary

In 1990 for Jason Bonham's wedding (although I doubt that was open to the public)

In 1995 for their Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction

Ahmet Ertegun's death seemed as good a reason as any to do it one more time. After all they wouldn't have had the career they had without him or Peter Grant.

In 1990 for Jason Bonham's wedding (although I doubt that was open to the public)

Ahmet Ertegun's death seemed as good a reason as any to do it one more time. After all they wouldn't have had the career they had without him or Peter Grant.

we're talking about one offs though y'know? whereas now its okay tour (or at least a series of gigs, its moving in that direction, that whole tour direction at least), and even rumblings of new matierial if im not mistaken? (i might be, i think i heard about it on here) new matierial without Bonzo?!?! can you POSSIBLY imagine somebody else attempting to do Bonzo's drum fills of re-creating THAT?!?! c'mon man...

Edited by ffrankwhite

I don't even like Led Zeppelin (save for a few songs), so the whole idea of this reunion DOES seem cheap to me and they have lost some integrity for breaking what I thought was a great attitude of them stopping the band after Bonham died. Them doing that showed real balls and just general class and respect, and then doing a high-profile reunion like this kind of cheapens the little I liked them in the first place.

....But on the other hand this must be a brilliant reunion for their fans (the ones that get to go :rolleyes:).

we're talking about one offs though y'know? whereas now its okay tour (or at least a series of gigs, its moving in that direction, that whole tour direction at least), and even rumblings of new matierial if im not mistaken? (i might be, i think i heard about it on here) new matierial without Bonzo?!?! can you POSSIBLY imagine somebody else attempting to do Bonzo's drum fills of re-creating THAT?!?! c'mon man...

There's always rumblings of a tour or new material. There have been every time they have played together. Never materializes though.

There's always rumblings of a tour or new material. There have been every time they have played together. Never materializes though.

s'pose... (actually, i wouldn't know, im relatively new as a fan as i say)

this crazyness going on right now, happens every time they're even seen in the same restaurant together.

But Plant's made no secret of his desire to distance himself from the whole Zeppelin thing. He didn't even perform any Zep songs on his own for a long time.

He just put out an album with Alison Krauss and chances are THAT tour's being planned right now by him, not the Zeppelin one.

I was meant to be at that concert but couldn't go because I had exams that I actually couldn't miss.

Imagine my disgust when i read someone's comments on a news site saying something along the lines of "I've only ever heard two of their songs before but the atmosphere was electric". :fuckyou:

And that was followed up by a comment from her friend saying how she thought Robert Plant had a nice arse.

These people do not deserve to be at a Led Zep concert.

I was meant to be at that concert but couldn't go because I had exams that I actually couldn't miss.

Imagine my disgust when i read someone's comments on a news site saying something along the lines of "I've only ever heard two of their songs before but the atmosphere was electric". :fuckyou:

And that was followed up by a comment from her friend saying how she thought Robert Plant had a nice arse.

These people do not deserve to be at a Led Zep concert.

OK, now you're going a little too far :lol: (look at me, saying whats enough and whats too much all the time..)

I remember getting into Zeppelin when I was 13 and being the only Zeppelin fan I actually knew. Always found it unusual that when I got to 16 I saw classic rock fans crawling everywhere. I wouldn't spend that amount of money to see them reformed though. If they played near me and the tickets were like £30 or something I still might.

If I was Led Zeppelin, I'd have reformed in a pub in like, I don't know, Salisbury England or something under a fake name.

"Man, was that Led Zeppelin!?"

"....Nah it can't have been...could it?"

But then I have a bit of a sick sense of humour in that I like fucking with people's heads.

I remember getting into Zeppelin when I was 13 and being the only Zeppelin fan I actually knew. Always found it unusual that when I got to 16 I saw classic rock fans crawling everywhere. I wouldn't spend that amount of money to see them reformed though. If they played near me and the tickets were like £30 or something I still might.

If I was Led Zeppelin, I'd have reformed in a pub in like, I don't know, Salisbury England or something under a fake name.

"Man, was that Led Zeppelin!?"

"....Nah it can't have been...could it?"

But then I have a bit of a sick sense of humour in that I like fucking with people's heads.

see now THAT would be cool!!! :lol: although the sound might be a bit....immense for a pub :rofl-lol:

of all people, I would think that you would realize that fashion is a grand illusion frankie - one of the grandest constructed by a society that links accessibility and proximity with popularity.

Led Zeppelin, at the moment is 'fashionable' because we are having Led Zeppelin thrown down our throats by PR in the Led Zeppelin camp - and it's a testament to their work to see how fashionable the band has become today, even after 30 years of lacking new material aside from compilations and DVDs for dinosaurs.

As for my outlook on Led Zeppelin - I make it no secret that they have influenced my views and ideals in music whether it be philosophically or playing wise and I have liked them before the reunion, and I shall still like them after the reunion hype is over - the only difference is that I will have a few new bootlegs to see how the guys have been keeping in shape :)