Oh isnt it fashionable to be a Led Zeppelin fan these days?

ffrankwhite

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats perfect about it?

its just...unlike anything before or since. in a time of flowers and love and melody and psychedelia came this dark bleak atonal music that was (and still is) so fucking original and sooo...beautiful i cant explain, its just beyond fucking brilliant. song for song, Waiting For My Man, that jangley hypnotic yet strangely jarring music, the lyrics are as close to poetry and rock lyrics have ever gotten, I'm Sticking With You, which starts off seeming like their only fucking nicey nice song is so wonderfully perverted (saw you hanging from a tree and i make believe it was me) black angel death song is like WHAT THE FUCK?!?! what kind of genius comes up with that?!?! All Tommorows Parties has such depth and an inate sense of tragedy, Venus In Furs is so like...again, hypnotic for want of a better word, and that disembodied way of delivering a vocal that Lou Reed has, its sublime, i could go on for days just on that first album alone, its nothing short of flawless.

I don't think I've ever heard a single led zeppelin song in my whole life.....

Good. Keep it that way.

Coming from the guy with the Velvet Underground sig.

Well obviously. :huh:

It's not the fucking Spice Girls is it?

What I'm trying to say is you can't really say Zeppelin are shit, when VU have to be one of the most over-rated bands I've heard. Every VU fan I've met has been a pretentious eejit.

Led Zeppelin are more over rated then the VU. I've met people who havent even heard of them. How are they over rated? Are they on magazine covers ever 5 minutes? Are they always on the TV? Do you hear their songs on the radio? I have NEVER heard a Velvets song on the radio, nor have I seen them on TV. This year marked the 40th anniversary of their debut, were they spashed all over the magazines to mark their anniversary? No, they weren't.

What song have you heard by them anyway?!?!

Their self-titled album. The critically acclaimed one, which always makes the greatest albums lists. Apart from Heroin, nothing really stands out to me on that album. Zepp had variety, they didn't release one bad album, they deserve all the credit they've been getting. The thing with VU, is musically they were never going to be the type of band who'd be on Top Of The Pops or anything. They were just the band that all the artsy types listened to with the belief that liking that band gives you a better music taste, just because they aren't that mainstream. I hear everybody saying they were one of the most influential bands, and were completely original. Fair enough, they might've been original, but it just seems very stuck up. Musically, to me, theres not much there to get excited about in their songs.

It IS one of the greatest albums ever and the VU ARE one of the greatest and influential bands of all time.

Liking this band DOES give you better music taste. Anyone who likes the VU has great taste in music. I dont believe I like good music because I like this band because they were never fucking mainstream. I like this band because they made greast music and were so far ahead of their time. Their debut is one of my favourite albums of all time. I wish I could marry it.

How is being original stuck up?

You need to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPp7nq5YWiE

Whats perfect about it?

its just...unlike anything before or since. in a time of flowers and love and melody and psychedelia came this dark bleak atonal music that was (and still is) so fucking original and sooo...beautiful i cant explain, its just beyond fucking brilliant. song for song, Waiting For My Man, that jangley hypnotic yet strangely jarring music, the lyrics are as close to poetry and rock lyrics have ever gotten, I'm Sticking With You, which starts off seeming like their only fucking nicey nice song is so wonderfully perverted (saw you hanging from a tree and i make believe it was me) black angel death song is like WHAT THE FUCK?!?! what kind of genius comes up with that?!?! All Tommorows Parties has such depth and an inate sense of tragedy, Venus In Furs is so like...again, hypnotic for want of a better word, and that disembodied way of delivering a vocal that Lou Reed has, its sublime, i could go on for days just on that first album alone, its nothing short of flawless.

87765676543234567890987654% agreed.

I don't know, the album has got that trippy quality to it. Its got a hint of psychedelia in it, but if I want to hear something like that, I listen to early Floyd. I loved Heroin the first time I heard it, but I downloaded the album and felt disappointed about it. Sunday Morning is a good song, but Nicos voice ruins a lot of it for me. I can't stand it. Maybe I'll give the album another listen sometime.

I don't know, the album has got that trippy quality to it. Its got a hint of psychedelia in it, but if I want to hear something like that, I listen to early Floyd. I loved Heroin the first time I heard it, but I downloaded the album and felt disappointed about it. Sunday Morning is a good song, but Nicos voice ruins a lot of it for me. I can't stand it. Maybe I'll give the album another listen sometime.

see Floyd were a band that started out trying to emulate VU, that should tell you something right there. Nico's voice i think is part of whats so great, that staid nordic quality it has to it, again, its just so fucking original...its just different, the perfect remedy to all those hippie crooning southern fried bitches that all sound the same. but yeah man, have another crack at it. even there she goes is classic, with those little breaks and the unforgiving take on the subject matter (you better hit her) who the fuck was writing stuff like that at that time? no one, absolutely no one. they were so like...important to music, their album didnt sell jack fucking shit yet look at how many bands afterwards cite them as an influence. that tells you something about the power of their music right there :) have another crack at it man and like...forget all the hype and all the preconcieved notions and just judge it on the merit of the music. its really something special dude :)

The first time I listened to the VU&Nico I was reluctant to listen to any of the songs she sung, but now All Tomorrows Parties is my favourite song on the album.

I hope you watched that video. You will learn a lot about why are they so original and influential.

As much as I love the genre, I wouldn't call VU "psychedelic", I'd say it's more experimental. Fuck, the best thing would be to not label it as any genre at all - the sound on their debut is just so fucking... wide, and outside of most other genres.

I didn't like Nico the first couple of times I listened to it either, but the more I listened to it, the more I started to enjoy her voice. Her voice is just so unique and special, masculine yet feminine, you know?

Right, I'm not the guy who likes to automatically dismiss something after first listen. I'm giving it another listen.

So we'll see whether I'll join you guys, or if I stay unconvinced :)

Good. :)

Did you watch that video?

I tried, but YouTube keeps fucking up for me. Some vids load, some don't.

Right, I'm not the guy who likes to automatically dismiss something after first listen. I'm giving it another listen.

So we'll see whether I'll join you guys, or if I stay unconvinced :)

Good. :)

Did you watch that video?

I tried, but YouTube keeps fucking up for me. Some vids load, some don't.

Fair enough. Maybe you could watch it another day then.

but...what strikes me as odd is all these unlikely Zep fans coming out of the woodwork. i mean, we're talking about one the biggest bands of all time here so theres always gonna be unlikely fans but, come ooooooon, Naomi Campbell in attendance?

well...that's one...who are all the others?

i mean OK, they were a great band but...l

actually...they were rock gods in a league of their own...but hey

look up there, no Bonzo and...lets be honest here, he was pretty fucking integral, not just a replaceable face

That's why they disbanded

...that day is gone

But the music isn't gone...why can't it be about a celebration of the songs?

and all it serves to remind me of is what a GOD AWFUL fucking state music is in right now that we have nothing, nada, zip of our own

...even more reason to celebrate quality music...no?

These 20 something year old guys pretending to be precocious 15 years...singing crap like "I'm Just A Kid"...and "Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up"...all these 27 years year old guys singing "my parents just don't understand me"...why not slap them upside the head with the notion that if you really learn how to play your instrument of choice,and learn the craft of composing material that takes a bit of a thought process,maybe someone will want to come see your band when your 63,because all this disposable shit you're spewing out now on your quick cash grab of a career...no one's going to care about it 10 years from now.

Anyone think 200 million people are going to enter a lottery for Sum 41 or Good Charlotte tickets 30 years from now?

Or for that matter,Coheed and Cambria,Muse,Drowning Pool,Disturbed...etc. etc....it's not gonna happen.

Which begs the question...why?

THAT'S what I find sad...not that Zeppelin can congregate after 27 years for their first full concert,to pay tribute to the man who signed them.

Even if they never play another show...they got to sign off in style,in fine form,as it should be.

and we gotta be fucking listening to these aincient old guys.

One day (in 25 years or so) you're going to chuckle at the naivety of such comments,you're going to jokingly ask yourself if you actually used to say things like that.

(trust me)

this demand for reunions points at a truth that i think people are so comfortable in ignoring that they're almost blind to it now. theres really and truly nothing here,

you're dead bang on the money here,I couldn't agree more...and I also agree with you that it's fucking sad.I'm actually not one of these guys stuck in the past...I don't deny what I grew up on and it doesn't stop being fucking phenomimal music if it's 30 or 40 years old,contrary to some belief it remains phenominal music.

I wouldn't have gotten into GnR,NIN,Ministry,and many others if I'd stopped listening to rock in the 70's and hardcore in the 80's.

But there's just nothing going on right now where you find yourself going...holy shit,there it is...there's the next big thing.I actually haven't had that buzz since I first saw Guns...you just knew...instantly.

It's not there anymore.

But I keep looking for it...I'll always do that.

If some 15 year old kid with a hunger for rock and a passion for Les Pauls went to that Zep gig and went "holy shit...I get it",well maybe there's hope for something somewhere down the line.

the 60s are long swung, 70s are gone, hip hop has hopped out, grunge is dead and we aint got shit

again...so why not turn the spotlight on and say "pstttt,hey,over here...check THIS out...learn from it"

theres just something so sinister...so...un-zep about the whole fucking scene

today's scene?? maybe that's the problem ;)

No, I've always thought and always will think that Led Zeppelin are are crock of shit.

Me too. I dont see them as a big deal.

duff21

even though the guys in your sig were practically orgasming every night when they got to work with Jimmy Page?

I respect Led Zeppelin, dont get me wrong. It was cool to see a great guitarist perform with The Black Crowes, but I have never been a fan of Led Zepp and cant seem to get into them.

duff21

The thing is, this reunion should have happened after Led Zep was inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame over 10 years ago!. But Page/Plant cut John Paul Jones out of the deal for some reason. I'm glad it finally happened and I hope they decide to tour, it will be huge. I'm sick of popular bands waiting and waiting to re-unite. Van Halen FINALLY did it, but they still didn't get it right because they fired an original member. Guns n Roses........well............ :rolleyes:

I don't even like Led Zeppelin (save for a few songs), so the whole idea of this reunion DOES seem cheap to me and they have lost some integrity for breaking what I thought was a great attitude of them stopping the band after Bonham died. Them doing that showed real balls and just general class and respect, and then doing a high-profile reunion like this kind of cheapens the little I liked them in the first place.

....But on the other hand this must be a brilliant reunion for their fans (the ones that get to go :rolleyes:).

Page and Plant touring a few years ago was more or less a reunion....everyone that went to those shows said they were going to see Zeppelin....

....as for the orginal poster saying that Naomi Campell was in attendance...she's just there to get laid....she's becoming the "madam" or "superstar" groupie from what I hear....basically fucks celebrities for $$$.

well...that's one...who are all the others?

cant remember offhand but there was a whole bunch of em at that london gig.

actually...they were rock gods in a league of their own...but hey

agreed :)

That's why they disbanded

and yet here they are, playing live...hmm

But the music isn't gone...why can't it be about a celebration of the songs?

i agree with the principle but...the music stands by itself, without reunions...i dunno, i would've liked the "no bonzo, no zep" thing to be a little more solid but then hey, aint my band so whats my opinion count? they can do what they like.

These 20 something year old guys pretending to be precocious 15 years...singing crap like "I'm Just A Kid"...and "Shut Up Shut Up Shut Up"...all these 27 years year old guys singing "my parents just don't understand me"...why not slap them upside the head with the notion that if you really learn how to play your instrument of choice,and learn the craft of composing material that takes a bit of a thought process,maybe someone will want to come see your band when your 63,because all this disposable shit you're spewing out now on your quick cash grab of a career...no one's going to care about it 10 years from now.

Anyone think 200 million people are going to enter a lottery for Sum 41 or Good Charlotte tickets 30 years from now?

Or for that matter,Coheed and Cambria,Muse,Drowning Pool,Disturbed...etc. etc....it's not gonna happen.

Which begs the question...why?

THAT'S what I find sad...not that Zeppelin can congregate after 27 years for their first full concert,to pay tribute to the man who signed them.

Even if they never play another show...they got to sign off in style,in fine form,as it should be.

i find both instances to be pretty sad bro.

todays scene is DEFINITELY the problem, i agree. alls im saying is, psst! learn from this works better from The Song Remains the Same than this new set up. this new set up, to my eyes seems...sort of a cocksuck if i may say so.

@Gash: its not really that ironic. Zint dont got nothing against reunions to my mind, just he likes his bands to practise what they preach and in being guitar hero sponsored and anti-rock god he expects the pistols to be a little more consistent to that point of view whereas the zep never made no bones about being anything other than rich decadent 18 groupies and a mound of coke type rockstars anyway...i think. we dont argue, we discuss :lol: nah, he's got tons more brains than me, he's usually right. knows a lot more about music too.

i figured out how to use the quote function...cool huh? :lol:

Edited by ffrankwhite

I'm slowly getting into it. I still hate Nicos voice, but I'm beginning to look past it.

Good to hear. :) Give All Tomorrows Parties a good listen. It's my favourite song from the album.

and i'll be your mirror :) actually, y'know what, get her album Chelsea Girls and listen to Fairest Of The Seasons and These Days. closest any song has come to making me wanna cry :rofl-lol: (dork!)

its honestly brilliant