Ike Turner dies at 76

GNR 1991

R.I.P.

this guy is responsible for one of my all-time favorite songs, "Rocket 88".

wasnt that jackie brenston?

read that wiki article i linked in my original post then listen and watch

shit!! (in the exclamatory sense not the abusive :lol:) learn something new everyday, thanks :) to think all these years its been one of my favorite songs too :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See unlike some of the stupid cocksuckers on this board, I do not post negative shit about the person in question, out of RESPECT.

So someone dies and instantly everyone's supposed to pretend they were some sort of saint? Dying is a natural process, not an achievement.

You can't expect people to respect someone who had so little respect for the people closest to him.

theres a subtle difference between pretending someones a saint and being tactful. example, Keith Moon dies, someones at his funeral, they dont go "he was a good man, a trail blazing drummer extrodinaire...bit of a dickhead though huh? i mean he acted like a total cock when he was drunk. embarassed so many people around him. and that solo album, what WAS he thinking? oh well, ashes to ashes"

hmm?

Tact be damned. The guy was a major fucking bastard. By no means is that the only thing he deserves to be remembered for, but it's a pivotal part of the package. Not acknowledging it is dishonest.

yeah but...point being, theres a time to do these things. theres bad points about everyone on this earth, me and you included (surely not!! not us!!) but when someone passes away, unless they were inherently evil like Hitler or something you dont dissect the poor bastards. if that was the case, theres very few rock stars whoose passing you could mourn without a laundry list of negative points. we aint St Peter at the pearly gates, we're just normal folk and Ike had any number of commendable qualities.

Yes, we all have flaws, but for most of us that doesn't involve beating and terrorizing our spouses and children.

He did give us Tina Turner

Tina Turner gave us Tina Turner..

That's right.

Not that anyone cares, but I love the name Ike. You don't hear it often (I do have a cousin with that name though and he's in a band).

RIP Ike Turner.

Ike found Anna Mae and gave her the "persona" Tina Turner. Her talent was always hers. He might have been an asshole but they made great music together.

See unlike some of the stupid cocksuckers on this board, I do not post negative shit about the person in question, out of RESPECT.

So someone dies and instantly everyone's supposed to pretend they were some sort of saint? Dying is a natural process, not an achievement.

You can't expect people to respect someone who had so little respect for the people closest to him.

theres a subtle difference between pretending someones a saint and being tactful. example, Keith Moon dies, someones at his funeral, they dont go "he was a good man, a trail blazing drummer extrodinaire...bit of a dickhead though huh? i mean he acted like a total cock when he was drunk. embarassed so many people around him. and that solo album, what WAS he thinking? oh well, ashes to ashes"

hmm?

Tact be damned. The guy was a major fucking bastard. By no means is that the only thing he deserves to be remembered for, but it's a pivotal part of the package. Not acknowledging it is dishonest.

yeah but...point being, theres a time to do these things. theres bad points about everyone on this earth, me and you included (surely not!! not us!!) but when someone passes away, unless they were inherently evil like Hitler or something you dont dissect the poor bastards. if that was the case, theres very few rock stars whoose passing you could mourn without a laundry list of negative points. we aint St Peter at the pearly gates, we're just normal folk and Ike had any number of commendable qualities.

Yes, we all have flaws, but for most of us that doesn't involve beating and terrorizing our spouses and children.

If you frown on that kind of thing, I seriously suggest you reconsider your candidacy for the future Mrs Axl Rose. :tongue2:

Sorry, I'm a bastard and couldn't resist.

So will Axl be remembered as an asshole( as some put him), a wife beater? a cocky son of a bitch? that would really suck dont ya think?

RIP IKE

most of your grandfathers beat the fucking sht outta your grandmothers, they may not talk about it but thats the way things were done back then, they still deserve respect...

Gunsguy

hmm?

If you frown on that kind of thing, I seriously suggest you reconsider your candidacy for the future Mrs Axl Rose. :tongue2:

Sorry, I'm a bastard and couldn't resist.

:lol: Trust me, there is no way in hell I would subject myself to that madness. My sig is a joke that dates back to when I was in middle school! And in my fantasy, Axl isn't a woman beater. :xmassrudolph:

gunsguy, I don't know where/how you grew up, but neither one of my grandfathers beat up on my grandmothers!! So yes, Ike deserves respect for his contribution to the music industry, but that's where it ends!

Edited by luvaxl4ever

I have enormous respect for his talent. As a human being he left a whole lot to be desired, and I'm not the least bit hesitant to say that, recently deceased or not.

And that's fine. I'm sticking to my guns, and will not say shit about the guy, wether he was a good human being or not. And I have a feeling you do not know, why I posted what I did.

Some idots who used the 'R.I.P Dime' thread as a chance to call him a redneck and downgrade him and his family members.

Respect is whats needed.

duff21

Edited by duff_mckagan21

So will Axl be remembered as an asshole( as some put him), a wife beater? a cocky son of a bitch? that would really suck dont ya think?

RIP IKE

most of your grandfathers beat the fucking sht outta your grandmothers, they may not talk about it but thats the way things were done back then, they still deserve respect...

Gunsguy

I'm sure there were a lot of men that didn't do that, but it was a LOT more common back in the day. Spousal and child abuse was ignored for the most part. My grandfather said once (he was born in 1911) that it went on all the time (incest in particular), everybody knew it and nobody said anything about it. It was a "family issue" and you just stayed out of it. Many people didn't view it as being wrong or abnormal either. Women and kids were treated more like property than anything else.

Edited by AxlsAngel

*In part*, of course he will be. And as long as that's not the only stuff people acknowledge about him, I don't think that sucks at all.

Respect is whats needed.

I agree. And out of respect for Anna-Mae, I'm not going to pretend Ike Turner wasn't an asshole just because he died.

Edited by Angelica

Respect is whats needed.

I agree. And out of respect for Anna-Mae, I'm not going to pretend Ike Turner wasn't an asshole just because he died.

Ha, nice, and TRUE.

I agree here with Luv and Angelica. How a person is perceived is based on how they choose to live their life and the image they created for themselves. I don't know why that perception should change after a person dies. If I didn't sympathize with them in life, I certainly won't do so in death. A bit hypocritical, wouldn't you think?

This conversation always comes up when someone 'controversial' passes. I remember the Anna Nicole and Saddam threads specifically.

The thing is, this whole debate started with something I posted. I used this cat's thread to show that there should be some sort of respect, especially since the guy just died. Noone has to pretend he was a good guy, but in a thread for a guy like Darrell, I don't see why there should be ANY disrespect, as he was fucking golden.

The thing is, this whole debate started with something I posted. I used this cat's thread to show that there should be some sort of respect, especially since the guy just died. Noone has to pretend he was a good guy, but in a thread for a guy like Darrell, I don't see why there should be ANY disrespect, as he was fucking golden.

If Ike didn't want part of his legacy to be that of a wife-beater, he should have kept his hands to himself. I guarantee you Tina remembers every one of the beatings and the rapes. Why should the rest of us pretend it didn't happen?

If Ike didn't want part of his legacy to be that of a wife-beater, he should have kept his hands to himself. I guarantee you Tina remembers every one of the beatings and the rapes. Why should the rest of us pretend it didn't happen?

I've already stated that noone should pretend anything, but there is a time and place to show some respect. Me going off, which started this debate mind you, is about Darrell who was a great human being. I don't see what's hard to understand.

Edited by F*ck Fear

I've already stated that noone should pretend anything, but there is a time and place to show some respect. Me going off, which started this debate mind you, is about Darrell who was a great human being. I don't see what's hard to understand.

I don't know who Darrell is, or what was said, so I can't speak on that. Maybe in his case, u have a point.

Nobody is being disrespectful to Ike, just telling the truth. Nobody is calling him anything that he wasn't.

I don't know who Darrell is, or what was said, so I can't speak on that. Maybe in his case, u have a point.

Nobody is being disrespectful to Ike, just telling the truth. Nobody is calling him anything that he wasn't.

Dimebag Darrell.

All I'm saying is there is a time and place. Yes Ike was a horrible man, but I'd have waited a few days even before I would post so in this thread. It's just a respect thing for me.

• 1 month later...
THIS BLACK MAN PUT OUT THE FIRST ROCK RECORD

AND HE BARLEY RECIEVES CREDIT

JAZZ

ROCK AND ROLL (GOOGLE OR WIKIPEDIA IT)

RAP

POP

ALL INVENTED BY BLACKS

WTF does race have to do with anything?

I never said it had anything to do with it. I was just simply making a statement.

"What does race have to do with it?" That is a question many Americans should ask themselves.

JAZZ

RAP

POP

ALL INVENTED BY BLACKS

I never said it had anything to do with it. I was just simply making a statement.

"What does race have to do with it?" That is a question many Americans should ask themselves.

and then they can reply by saying "I was just simply making a statement." ^_^

JAZZ

RAP

POP

ALL INVENTED BY BLACKS

and then they can reply by saying "I was just simply making a statement." ^_^

..Or he can say:

"That is so true; Blacks and minorities in general have not been given their due credit in terms of America's culture."