Best Rock album of this current decade?

kevdo242

The only band ahead of it's time was The Beatles and Pink Floyd.

No.

Christ you're just as bad as Chris_Axl.

Well I won't argue with bands like The Stones and The Who. But Sabbath? Maybe if Ozzy, wasn't in the mix I'd think so.

Something about the guy's voice that has never impressed me.

Unless there's some live gem I've missed.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you people need to stop living in the past, there's been some amazing music this decade and probaly loads more i've missed out or yet to hear

The Strokes - Is this it

Arcade fire - Funeral

Arcade fire - Neon bible

Arctic monkeys - Whatever people say i am, thats what I'm not

Flaming lips - Yoshimi battles the pink robots

Tom Waits - Alice

Brian Wilson - Smile

Kings of leon - Youth and young manhood

Bob Dylan - Modern times

Bob Dylan - Love and theft

Rufus Wainwright - Want one

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker

The white stripes - Elephant

Pantera - Reinventing The Steel

Down - Down II, Down III Over The Under

Black Label Society - The Blessed Hellride, Mafia, Hangover Music

Damageplan - New Found Power

Velvet Revolver - Contraband, Libertad

Rebel Meets Rebel - Rebel Meets Rebel

Kid Rock - Kid Rock, Rock N' Roll Jesus

Hellyeah - Hellyeah

Hank Williams Jr - The Almeria Club Recordings

Ozzy Osbourne - Black Rain

Edited by F*ck Fear

Some of you people need to stop living in the past, there's been some amazing music this decade and probaly loads more i've missed out or yet to hear

The Strokes - Is this it

I remember the day my sister and I bought that album - it had only been out a couple months and we had to wait until Australian stores stocked it.

I still listen to it regularly. Great album - still The Strokes best effort to date.

Come again?

Yeah, Im a bit befuddled by that statement. I think you forgot:

Black Sabbath

The Who

The Rolling Stones

Led Zeppelin

Cream

Chuck Berry

And many more...

I hate to get into these types of arguments, but most of those bands mentioned I wouldn't exactly call "ahead" of their time...perhaps only Chuck Berry because he was playing piano licks in piano friendly keys with a guitar - but even so...it was all 12 bar

along with 90% of the material by the bands mentioned...ahead of their time? no i daresay they were actually nostalgic to the point of emulation for their favorite blues junky. Pink Floyd maybe you could make a case for during their existential classic years (67-79) with syd and roger leading the band - but in retrospect they were just doing what everyone else was doing just a whole hellovalot better - acid experimentation was already done in the late fifties and early sixties just had yet to have been applied to mainstream music.

The Who - invented mod. Wrote the first (and greatest) rock opera. Brought the synthesizer into mainstream rock more than any of their contemporaries.

Black Sabbath - Essentially created metal. To call songs like War Pigs and Fairies Wear Boots 12 bar replications is just wrong

Led Zeppelin - Like Sabbath, but moreso - better vocals, better musicianship, better production quality. Made heavy rock mainstream.

The Rolling Stones - One-upped Elvis. Brought lyrics like "Brown sugar, you know you taste so good. Brown sugar, just like a young girl should" to singles radio.

Cream - Brought the blues of Robert Johnson to the psychidelia of Jimi Hendrix and the volume of The Who

"Reproductions?" Only in the sense that they were finding new combinations. Find me one band that predates any of those who sounds precisely like them, and you've got me. Until then, I stand by every one of them.

Christ you're just as bad as Chris_Axl.

Well I won't argue with bands like The Stones and The Who. But Sabbath? Maybe if Ozzy, wasn't in the mix I'd think so.

Something about the guy's voice that has never impressed me.

Unless there's some live gem I've missed.

And that stops Black Sabbath from being ahead of their time?

Come again?

Black Sabbath

The Who

The Rolling Stones

Led Zeppelin

Cream

Chuck Berry

And many more...

I hate to get into these types of arguments, but most of those bands mentioned I wouldn't exactly call "ahead" of their time...perhaps only Chuck Berry because he was playing piano licks in piano friendly keys with a guitar - but even so...it was all 12 bar

along with 90% of the material by the bands mentioned...ahead of their time? no i daresay they were actually nostalgic to the point of emulation for their favorite blues junky. Pink Floyd maybe you could make a case for during their existential classic years (67-79) with syd and roger leading the band - but in retrospect they were just doing what everyone else was doing just a whole hellovalot better - acid experimentation was already done in the late fifties and early sixties just had yet to have been applied to mainstream music.

The Who - invented mod. Wrote the first (and greatest) rock opera. Brought the synthesizer into mainstream rock more than any of their contemporaries.

Black Sabbath - Essentially created metal. To call songs like War Pigs and Fairies Wear Boots 12 bar replications is just wrong

Led Zeppelin - Like Sabbath, but moreso - better vocals, better musicianship, better production quality. Made heavy rock mainstream.

The Rolling Stones - One-upped Elvis. Brought lyrics like "Brown sugar, you know you taste so good. Brown sugar, just like a young girl should" to singles radio.

Cream - Brought the blues of Robert Johnson to the psychidelia of Jimi Hendrix and the volume of The Who

"Reproductions?" Only in the sense that they were finding new combinations. Find me one band that predates any of those who sounds precisely like them, and you've got me. Until then, I stand by every one of them.

I know all that. Don't patronize me. The bands you named were not "ahead" of their time - implying that they were outcast from mainstream society than later looked upon as heralding in a new age of music (aka ornette coleman, john coltrane, dylan to a degree, miles davis). The bands you mention no doubt "progressed" the sound of what came to be known as heavy rock music but saying that they were "ahead" of their time in conventional terms is ridiculous. Every one of the bands at least topped the billboard top 100 of their respective years (except sabbath) and therefore became part of their respective "time" progressing music.

Edited by stevGNR666

One X-Three Days Grace

Hoobastank-The Reason

Seether-Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces

The Open Door-Evanescence

Christ Illusion-Slayer

Velvet Revolver-Libertad (idk contraband is just kinda boring)

Flyleaf-Flyleaf

American Idiot-Green Day

Stadium Arcadeium-The Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Meteora-Linkin Park

Toxicity-System Of A Down

Fallen-Evanescence

Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace-Foo Fighters

KoRn-KoRn

that's what I came up with.. but there is a lot of good albums that other people have posted.

The Strokes - Is this it

Arcade fire - Funeral

Arcade fire - Neon bible

Arctic monkeys - Whatever people say i am, thats what I'm not

Flaming lips - Yoshimi battles the pink robots

Tom Waits - Alice

Brian Wilson - Smile

Kings of leon - Youth and young manhood

Bob Dylan - Modern times

Bob Dylan - Love and theft

Rufus Wainwright - Want one

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker

The white stripes - Elephant

I don't think Bob Dylan's latest albums have been that great, but Alice by Tom Waits is dead on. Great album. I don't know if I like that one or Orphans more. But, Orphans should be on the list also lol.

Nickelback - All The Right Reasons

Three Days Grace - Three Days Grace

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavored Water

Creed - Human Clay

I hope you're being sarcastic

how about no?

the noughties...well they have been better than the seventies or sixties.

Get a fucking life. Seriously, if you think that you shouldn't be given the privelege of hearing.

Get a fucking life?You're making good points.

I think your hearing got stuck in the early 90's or just an elephant stepped on both of your eyes repetedly,because if you think those albums are bad,there is no other explanations.

Come again?

Black Sabbath

The Who

The Rolling Stones

Led Zeppelin

Cream

Chuck Berry

And many more...

I know all that. Don't patronize me. The bands you named were not "ahead" of their time - implying that they were outcast from mainstream society than later looked upon as heralding in a new age of music (aka ornette coleman, john coltrane, dylan to a degree, miles davis). The bands you mention no doubt "progressed" the sound of what came to be known as heavy rock music but saying that they were "ahead" of their time in conventional terms is ridiculous. Every one of the bands at least topped the billboard top 100 of their respective years (except sabbath) and therefore became part of their respective "time" progressing music.

Being outcast has nothing to do with being ahead of one's time. Being ahead of one's time is mostly just doing something that hadn't been done before. All of the bands I listed did that. They did it well, and were recognized for it - saying that they topped the charts negates the fact that they were some of the most progressive bands in rock history is just ignorant. I never said they were anywhere near as great as Coltrane, Dylan, Davis, Coleman (you also forgot Benny Goodman, who was more ahead of his time than anyone you listed), but they were still ahead of their time.

Weezer - Maladroit (2002)

its their heavy metal album

I bought this album because you mentioned it. I've always liked Weezer, ever since 'Buddy Holly', but never bought an album because although their songs are fun and catchy, they seemed a little too 'Indie pop'. I'm 4 songs into Maladroid in my car, and I must say I'm impressed. Thanks dude!

Creed - Human Clay

how about no?

Get a fucking life. Seriously, if you think that you shouldn't be given the privelege of hearing.

I think your hearing got stuck in the early 90's or just an elephant stepped on both of your eyes repetedly,because if you think those albums are bad,there is no other explanations.

Yes, your eyes tells if you a album is good...

Look at that Bob, that KISS CD it must be good I saw it with my own two eyes!

Believe it not those albums suck because a shit load of it sounds the same.

Creed - Human Clay

how about no?

Yes, your eyes tells if you a album is good...

Look at that Bob, that KISS CD it must be good I saw it with my own two eyes!

Believe it not those albums suck because a shit load of it sounds the same.

so you're telling me that if an album is revolutionary and original,its good,otherwise its bad :rofl-lol: