Lupe Fiasco's The Cool

Negleyjj

I know people on this forum have a habit of hating anything that isn't hard rock/heavy metal, but nonetheless...

The album has been on MTV's The Leak for a week (and thus really leaked for about the same amount of time), but finally dropped today. The real thing sounds even better. I would have to say this is the best Hip-Hop album of the year (and maybe since his last album, I'd have to think about it a bit). He has the best lyrics around (just listen to Dumb it Down for crying out loud), and the flow and ear for beats to go along with it.

Top tracks after first few listens:

Dumb it Down

Intruder Alert

Hip-Hop Saved My Life

Little Weapon

I really hope he doesn't retire after LUPEnd, as he's one of the few great rappers left today.

Any other fans here?

I don't have any of his albums, but I loved his song "Kick, Push" from the moment I heard it.

At the moment he only has his debut, Food & Liquor, and his album that dropped today, The Cool, and a few free internet mixtapes (the Fahrenheit 1/15 series are the main ones, it's really just two, as the third one is a 15 minute joke CD (that is surprising good for being just 15 minutes) - they shouldn't be hard to find downloads for). I highly recommend all of the above.

"Kick, Push" is one of the best examples of his ability to paint a story - I honestly don't think anyone can touch him as a narrator. He even tops Nas, in my opinion. Also check out "The Cool" for another song that paints a story (the song from Food & Liquor, his second album is named after it because it contains a handful of songs about the same character - it's a semi-concept album). And I have to throw out "Hurt Me Soul," "Daydream," and now "Dumb it Down" as songs to check out, just because I say those to everyone who says they've heard a song or two by Lupe and liked them.

I'm really curious to see how this album sells, from what I hear "Superstar" is receiving a lot of play on music stations, and a friend said he even saw Dumb it Down (the internet single he released the video for over YouTube) on there. That combined with prior success, Jay-Z and Rakim (of Rakim & Eric B. fame) both naming him as their favorite current artist, and diverse songs (there are poppy beats, more... gritty stuff, and some kinda rock-ish beats) ... I would hope it sells well, but that doesn't always happen, as we all know.

Edited by Negleyjj

This album adds some much needed diversity to the mainstream hip-hop genre. Its nice to finally listen to someone rap with some talent and real writing capabilities. How did you pass on the song hello/goodbye though? that song came out of nowhere and is great! The only problem I have with the album, in this day in age you automatically associate rap with guns,bling,cars, and chicks that when you hear other topics being rapped about it comes out a little foreign sounding. Nothing wrong with that, its just I'm so used to getting pumped up or feeling bad-ass after listening to some rap, and to instead be getting a positive messaged preached to me or even feel that some of the lyrics sound...dare I say..dorky is hard to handle at times. I guess thats why they say he isn't "popping on the streets" though.

best track - dumb it down

This album adds some much needed diversity to the mainstream hip-hop genre. Its nice to finally listen to someone rap with some talent and real writing capabilities. How did you pass on the song hello/goodbye though? that song came out of nowhere and is great! The only problem I have with the album, in this day in age you automatically associate rap with guns,bling,cars, and chicks that when you hear other topics being rapped about it comes out a little foreign sounding. Nothing wrong with that, its just I'm so used to getting pumped up or feeling bad-ass after listening to some rap, and to instead be getting a positive messaged preached to me or even feel that some of the lyrics sound...dare I say..dorky is hard to handle at times. I guess thats why they say he isn't "popping on the streets" though.

best track - dumb it down

Hello/Goodbye is a great song, it definitely sticks out, it might be my favorite after those I listed... I don't know, I really love the whole thing. As for the dorky lyrics, I'm not really sure I agree, though I do know exactly what you mean. Lupe isn't conventional when it comes to most aspects of Hip-Hop. I mean, try telling people that he has a song personifying a Cheeseburger. A song that, although humorous, isn't any kind of parody or anything, is a real song, and sounds good. It's crazy.

I love his positive messages. And I love the fact that after a dozen listens you realize some other word play that you had completely missed. Lets hope this CD does better than the last (though I wouldn't say the last one flopped per say, it didn't do all that well either).