Problem with my desktop background... (Solved)

UseYourAppetite

Alright so I have a picture set as my background and when my computer loads up it comes up on screen for a while, then the screen background just changes to a colour. I've tried going to Properties>Desktop and then it doesn't allow you to click on any of the backgrounds, only to change the colour. Why won't it let me choose a background?

Edited by UseYourAppetite

I've tried right-clicking on different pictures and setting as the background and rebooting, it didn't work, just changed the picture that flashes up for a while before the colour comes up.

If it helps this is what I see when I go to the Desktop tab to try and change my background...

desktopfault.jpg

The section where you can scroll down on the backgrounds doesn't work, you can't scroll or click any of them.

Looks like spyware/viruses to me. That's pretty much the only thing that will ever do that - and it's a more common problem than you would expect.

Alright thanks, I'll try and find whatever it is.

EDIT: No viruses, still can't change my background. :huh:

If you can find out the name of it, you can probably find some guide that shows you how to remove it manually, and if you follow the guide step by step, you're pretty much guaranteed to remove it properly.

Do this. If you want to find it just go through every process you're running and google them and you will find it. But just remember that it's likely there's more than one virus running so go actually through every process.

Edited by Wando

You're desktop has been hijacked by spware:

Lets first get your desktop back to order then we will get rid of the infection, yes you have an infection...

First follow these steps :

1. Click on Start -> Control Panel -> open "Display"

2. Open "Desktop" tab which is the second one.

3. Click on "'Customize desktop" the button at the bottom of this window.

3. Click on "Web" tab in this new window.

4. Uncheck all the squares that you will see and delete it right after.

5. Press ok

let me know when you have done this, then we will remove infection if this works...

This is why you will find no problem related to this as a process file, it isn't

Gunsguy

Edited by gunsguy

You're desktop has been hijacked by spware:

Lets first get your desktop back to order then we will get rid of the infection, yes you have an infection...

First follow these steps :

1. Click on Start -> Control Panel -> open "Display"

2. Open "Desktop" tab which is the second one.

3. Click on "'Customize desktop" the button at the bottom of this window.

3. Click on "Web" tab in this new window.

4. Uncheck all the squares that you will see and delete it right after.

5. Press ok

let me know when you have done this, then we will remove infection if this works...

This is why you will find no problem related to this as a process file, it isn't

Gunsguy

I got as far as unchecking the boxes, I can't delete anything though. :question:

m,y current homepage was the only thing listed?

ok, download highjackthis, opwn it and create log file, then copy and paste the logfile to my pm, not in the thread

Gunsguy

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING ON HJT UNTILL I TELL YOU TOO! VERY IMPORTANT YOU COULD SCREW UP YOUR COMPUTER!!!

oh yeah does your screensaver work?

m,y current homepage was the only thing listed?

ok, download highjackthis, opwn it and create log file, then copy and paste the logfile to my pm, not in the thread

Gunsguy

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING ON HJT UNTILL I TELL YOU TOO! VERY IMPORTANT YOU COULD SCREW UP YOUR COMPUTER!!!

oh yeah does your screensaver work?

PMed

And yeah, my screensaver works fine.