Learning Trumpet

Hello all!

I'm an adequate guitarist. Passable mandolinist. But I decided to take up trumpet for a bit of a new challenge.

I can't read music and my ear is quite terrible. So I'm finding it quite difficult, been working mainly upon my embouchure rather than my fingering.

Does anyone have any helpful tips or advice for me? (Rather than, give up.)

It'd be greatly appreciated (not only by me but by the people whom are within an earshot of hearing me practice)

Thank you!

Hello all!

I'm an adequate guitarist. Passable mandolinist. But I decided to take up trumpet for a bit of a new challenge.

I can't read music and my ear is quite terrible. So I'm finding it quite difficult, been working mainly upon my embouchure rather than my fingering.

It'd be greatly appreciated (not only by me but by the people whom are within an earshot of hearing me practice)

Thank you!

this is probably very unhelpful but a million "blow your own trumpet" and "fingering my trumpet" puns spring to mind! :rofl-lol:

Hello all!

Thank you!

Practice LONG TONES! meaning stay on one note and hold it for a number of econds say 20 or 30. It will get your lip muscles working and plus it will help your embourchure good. Also practice scales! C, D, E, F, G etc. It will help with your range. And yeah sheet musicwill do you good too. BUt the first two things I said are very important!

Thanks for the advice everyone! Finding it pretty hard at the moment and will for awhile because I have a lot of things on my plate, but I'll get down to it more soon.

Good job the RSPCA don't cover trumpets or I'd be locked away at this rate.

Well, first off, to the very beginner, practice the C and G impartials.

What's an impartial?2 notes on the same fingering. To the beginning Trumpeteer, you can play the C and G based on the tightness of your lips.

Next, you should work on the first five notes of the C scale,

C-0

D-1,3

E-1,2

F-1

G-0

set a slow tempo in 4/4,ideally if you have a metronome at anywhere from 50-70 bpm

them play each note for 4 counts, going up and down those 5 notes, breathing after every second note.

Most importantly you should work on hearing the tone before you move on. Ideally you slouldn't spend time searching for notes. When you can play these 5 notes all the way through at a tempo of 50 bpm without alot of searching, add...

A-1,2

B-2

C-0

above G. While working, remember if you wanna tune to a piano, you should know

(on the left is the trumpet note, on the right is the piano/guitar note)

C-B flat

D-C

E-D

F-E flat

G-F

A-G

B-A

C-B flat

Now, do the entire scale up and down, 4 counts per note at 50 bpm(or work on it until you can), and practice until you don't have to breahe until after every 4th note

Then come back

Signed-

Multi-instrumentalist Mr. Bucketslash(who just pissed off teachers for giving a free lesson)