Neil Young

Raw Power

Oh, so my username instantly tells you that I'm only a fan of alternative rock? Talk about prejudice.

When did I say you're a fan only of Alternative Rock music?

What the hell are you on about? I like GNR. I like alternative rock too. Plus jazz. Other things too. If you're trying to make a point, you're failing.

You made it seem that way when pointing out that it was weird to see an alternative rock fan on a forum made for a typical mainstream act.

typical mainstream act? It makes no sense.

I would change that and say for a typical Hard Rock act.

What has any of the above got to do with Lithium liking Neil Young?

Oh, so my username instantly tells you that I'm only a fan of alternative rock? Talk about prejudice.

When did I say you're a fan only of Alternative Rock music?

What the hell are you on about? I like GNR. I like alternative rock too. Plus jazz. Other things too. If you're trying to make a point, you're failing.

From every 1000 Alternative Rock fans, only 1 will be also a Hard Rock fan. Compare 1981-1991 and 1992-1995 mainstream Rock music and you will notice most of the people will prefer one genre over the other genre. These genres can't co-exist with the same popularity.

Edited by JKKDARK

You made it seem that way when pointing out that it was weird to see an alternative rock fan on a forum made for a typical mainstream act.

Well, you kinda indicated that alternative rock and the genre of the band this forum is made for were complete opposites, and the complete opposite of alternative rock is mainstream rock (please don't get into your whole "wikipedia-10 million units-sleaze rock-different genres-crap")

Well, you kinda indicated that alternative rock and the genre of the band this forum is made for were complete opposites, and the complete opposite of alternative rock is mainstream rock (please don't get into your whole "wikipedia-10 million units-sleaze rock-different genres-crap")

When the term was made (80s) yes, it was "alternative" to the mainstream Rock music.

When the term was made (80s) yes, it was "alternative" to the mainstream Rock music.

No, no, I'm not refering to mainstream rock as a bin every band that becomes popular or sells a certain amount of albums (or units, as you like to call it;) ) gets put in, I think of it as an actual genre. I guess the better thing would be to call it "commercial rock".

For example, I still think of, say, Nirvana as an alternative band after '91, when they became popular.

Edited by Lithium

No, no, I'm not refering to mainstream rock as a bin every band that becomes popular or sells a certain amount of albums (or units, as you like to call it;) ) gets put in, I think of it as an actual genre. I guess the better thing would be to call it "commercial rock".

Mainstream Rock or commercial Rock is not a genre. It's just a way to call all the actual popular Rock bands (which can include different genres). Velvet Revolver, Fall Out Boy, Buckcherry and Green Day are examples of actual mainstream Rock bands.

Mainstream Rock or commercial Rock is not a genre. It's just a way to call all the actual popular Rock bands (which can include different genres). Velvet Revolver, Fall Out Boy, Buckcherry and Green Day are examples of actual mainstream Rock bands.

How exactly do you know it isn't a genre? Is there like, a genre king or something that decides what is genres and what is not that I haven't heard of?

Nevertheless, I think labeling bands to the degree that you do is wrong.

How exactly do you know it isn't a genre? Is there like, a genre king or something that decides what is genres and what is not that I haven't heard of?

Mainstream Rock was made by radio stations. You should check the Mainstream Rock Tracks ranking, which is based on these Maintream Rock radio stations.

And I'm labeling bands as the music industry says. You should try to notice the different elements on the music genres.

Mainstream Rock was made by radio stations. You should check the Mainstream Rock Tracks ranking, which is based on these Maintream Rock radio stations.

And I'm labeling bands as the music industry says. You should try to notice the different elements on the music genres.

Yeah, that's great, but look at it from my point of view - I see mainstream rock as a genre, where the typical commercial bands belong; you know, the ones who only sell albums to make money and create a sound which satisfies the current popular scene.

No, you label bands as Wikipedia says. ;) And don't try that "you should learn the different elements of genres"-bullshit with me, I know my music genres.

Yeah, that's great, but look at it from my point of view - I see mainstream rock as a genre, where the typical commercial bands belong; you know, the ones who only sell albums to make money and create a sound which satisfies the current popular scene.

No, you label bands as Wikipedia says. ;) And don't try that "you should learn the different elements of genres"-bullshit with me, I know my music genres.

You shouldn't talk from your point of view when you talk about music genres.

Did you made the term Mainstream Rock? No. Mainstream Rock wasn't made as a music genre, if you look at actual mainstream Rock bands, you can't put Velvet Revolver and My Chemical Romance on the same genre.

And I don't think you know about music genres because you're saying mainstream Rock is a music genre.

Edited by JKKDARK

Did you made the term Mainstream Rock? No. Mainstream Rock wasn't made as a music genre, if you look at actual mainstream Rock bands, you can't put Velvet Revolver and My Chemical Romance on the same genre.

And I don't think you know about music genres because you're saying mainstream Rock is a music genre.

None of us know 100% what we are talking about - like I pointed out, no one really decides what is genres and what is not: it's a matter of how you see it, and you and I clearly have different views on this.

None of us know 100% what we are talking about - like I pointed out, no one really decides what is genres and what is not: it's a matter of how you see it, and you and I clearly have different views on this.

If you don't understand how the music genres work, you will never know why a band get more success in a certain time or why there were a lack of bands from the same genre on the mainstream on a certain time.

You will never understand why The Spaghetti Incident failed in the US, why the Ramones never got success in the 80s in the US or why Warrant is signed to an independent label actually in the US.

If you don't understand how the music genres work, you will never know why a band get more success in a certain time or why there were a lack of bands from the same genre on the mainstream on a certain time.

You will never understand why The Spaghetti Incident failed in the US, why the Ramones never got success in the 80s in the US or why Warrant is signed to an independent label actually in the US.

Yeah...

Go listen to Bon Jovi. :)

Yeah...

Go listen to Bon Jovi. :)

I wouldn't be offended if someone tell me to go listen the most successful Rock band formed in the latest 30 years

Neil Young sucks.

I kicked myself when Bon Jovi covered a Neil Young song.

I kinda feel sorry for u coz everyone gives you so much shit but when u make comments like that u are kind of askin for it. Im not knockin bon jovi either, i dont mind tunes like blaze of glory - brings back good memories of bein an 8 year old. I dont get why ur obsessed with musical genre either, if u like a song u like a song, simple as that, who cares what genre it is?

Anyway i cant wait for the first volume of the archives, its been delayed for probably as long as chinese democracy, maybe even longer but at leats neil youngs made some amazing albums during the time its been delayed.