Film Thread

ssiscool

I agree wit Angelica the dogma manifesto is rubbish.

why?

because they reduce the possibilites to create a good movie. for example it doesn't allow light effects. you even have great light effects in modern theaters.

for me the list is designed by arrogant snobs that think they bought the right to say what a good film is an what not.

did you ever hear the saying that God has the most boring job in the world? that is to say he can do whatever right, with everything at his disposal? same with filmmakers using all these techniques and trickery and not doing shit. its like being told one day you were totally free. it'd be stifling, you'd be spoilt for choice, i'd be inclined to sit on the grass and whistle. whereas if someone let me loose in a candy store with said freedom i could think of some serious shit :rofl-lol: Within the perimeter of this manifesto there are infinite possibilities, its a defined set of boundaries that push the artist to question his abilities and push their game forward.

Decent lighting and cameras = trickery? Please. It's pretentious claptrap. As were the films themselves.

not exactly but im sure you know what they mean. synthetic assistance. if you refuse to understand thats up to you but im actually explaining here as opposed to just stonewalling and going 'no no no no, its crap' think about it :)

The whole process of making a film is synthetic. Their rules state if you don't have enough natural light for a shot, then abandon the scene. Lighting's been a part of filmmaking since cinema started.

Not only that, but those rules give directors an excuse for not making an effort and turning out dross. Then explaining it away as 'art'.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not exactly but im sure you know what they mean. synthetic assistance. if you refuse to understand thats up to you but im actually explaining here as opposed to just stonewalling and going 'no no no no, its crap' think about it :)

What's wrong with synthetic assistance? The supremely self-concious lack of it didn't make those films any less artificial. If anything, it actually made them more so.

I agree wit Angelica the dogma manifesto is rubbish.

why?

because they reduce the possibilites to create a good movie. for example it doesn't allow light effects. you even have great light effects in modern theaters.

for me the list is designed by arrogant snobs that think they bought the right to say what a good film is an what not.

did you ever hear the saying that God has the most boring job in the world? that is to say he can do whatever right, with everything at his disposal? same with filmmakers using all these techniques and trickery and not doing shit. its like being told one day you were totally free. it'd be stifling, you'd be spoilt for choice, i'd be inclined to sit on the grass and whistle. whereas if someone let me loose in a candy store with said freedom i could think of some serious shit :rofl-lol: Within the perimeter of this manifesto there are infinite possibilities, its a defined set of boundaries that push the artist to question his abilities and push their game forward.

it limits everything. that's bullshit. i mean if they don't want to use light effects or a score, im fine with that. but saying this is the way it is supposed to be done is plain stupid.

I for myself don't want 100% realism. If i want realism I turn on the news or take a walk in the park.

What's wrong with synthetic assistance? The supremely self-concious lack of it didn't make those films any less artificial. If anything, it actually made them more so.

nothing especially but thats the point, its experimental, its revolutionary, its trying new things. those who see the manifesto as stifling rules are missing a very pertinent point. its never been done before, a statement in regards to realism and minimalism is being made/was made.

it limits everything. that's bullshit. i mean if they don't want to use light effects or a score, im fine with that. but saying this is the way it is supposed to be done is plain stupid.

it only limits if you lack the wherewithal to operate under those constraints. if you dont you're capable to create something groundbreaking. and they're only saying that those within that circle, those that choose that manifesto are bound for want of a better term by those rules, not cinema on the whole and even if they are, so what, we know its not gonna end up that way so why fret?

you dont want realism? well ok, good for you, i for one want cinema to try everything (in the broader sense) and not limit itself and if that means a few folks adopting a manifesto and trying it out, good for them, i wanna see what comes out of it, pretencious or not. the scope of the medium is boundless and its silly to not try everything.

Edited by ffrankwhite

nothing especially but thats the point, its experimental, its revolutionary, its trying new things.

Anyone can come up with a bunch of arbitrary restrictions. That doesn't automatically mean it's good or interesting or not retarded. How many great films have come out of this experiment? How many even remotely watchable films have come out of this experiment?

those who see the manifesto as stifling rules are missing a very pertinent point. its never been done before, a statement in regards to realism and minimalism is being made/was made.

it only limits if you lack the wherewithal to operate under those constraints. if you dont you're capable to create something groundbreaking. and they're only saying that those within that circle, those that choose that manifesto are bound for want of a better term by those rules, not cinema on the whole and even if they are, so what, we know its not gonna end up that way so why fret?

you dont want realism? well ok, good for you, i for one want cinema to try everything (in the broader sense) and not limit itself and if that means a few folks adopting a manifesto and trying it out, good for them, i wanna see what comes out of it, pretencious or not. the scope of the medium is boundless and its silly to not try everything.

Which is exactly why the thing sucks. :)

Edited by Angelica

nothing especially but thats the point, its experimental, its revolutionary, its trying new things.

Anyone can come up with a bunch of arbitrary restrictions. That doesn't automatically mean it's good or interesting or not retarded. How many great films have come out of this experiment? How many even remotely watchable films have come out of this experiment?

those who see the manifesto as stifling rules are missing a very pertinent point. its never been done before, a statement in regards to realism and minimalism is being made/was made.

Which is exactly why the thing sucks. :)

they're not arbitrary, they're calculated steps towards a grittier realer type of cinema. and trying a different set of rules is part of trying everything :)

they're not arbitrary, they're calculated steps towards a grittier realer type of cinema. and trying a different set of rules is part of trying everything :)

Except they're not actually grittier at all. The rules make the films more contrived and artificial than the average summer blockbuster. If it was a good idea, why have so few good films come from it?

That's one of his best films because he doesn't use his annoying "let's shout a line while putting on a funny voice" comedy.

I disagree. That is good Jim Carey. Pet Detective and Dumb and Dumber Jim Carey. :heart:

Then he decided to try and be a real actor. :(

I take it Number 23 wasnt very good? I Havn't seen it yet. I wanted too.

The Number 23 is so bad that in it's own warped way, it's sort of worth seeing. You just sit there the whole time thinking "WtF were these people on when they made this and where can I get some?" :lol:

ADPT: Absolutely, followed by The Truman Show. I've always liked him, the only thing he does that really upsets me is when he tries to play deeply sincere. It just comes off horribly creepy, same thing with Robin Williams.

Edited by Angelica

That's one of his best films because he doesn't use his annoying "let's shout a line while putting on a funny voice" comedy.

I disagree. That is good Jim Carey. Pet Detective and Dumb and Dumber Jim Carey. :heart:

Then he decided to try and be a real actor. :(

I take it Number 23 wasnt very good? I Havn't seen it yet. I wanted too.

i read reviews that it absolutley stink

I just watched The Doors movie, I liked it. I'm propably going to watch A Clockwork Orange later tonight. I don't usually watch a lot of movies but lately I've gotten more interested of them..

A Clockwork Orange is really good movie. I definately recommend watching it if you have the opportunity.

It's fantastic. I've lost my DVD of it, I'll have to get a new one.

I'm in a 'dark animated film' mood today, haha. I just watched Watership Down, which I haven't seen in years, and now I'm in the middle of Felidae right now.

Have you guys read the book, you really should as the movie differs quite a bit. I prefer the book

but the movie is really good too, well I always tend to prefer the book if it's been made to a movie.

so i watched gone baby gone last night and it was pretty ordinary.

but that affleck guy. and not only him but his bro as well. who the fuck talks like that? do they have some kind of disorder or somthin. :rolleyes:

Gone Baby Gone was one of the best movies last year.

What you're hearing from the Affleck brothers is called a Boston accent and where I live lots of people talk like that.

Edited by appetite4illusions

I just watched The Doors movie, I liked it. I'm propably going to watch A Clockwork Orange later tonight. I don't usually watch a lot of movies but lately I've gotten more interested of them..

A Clockwork Orange is really good movie. I definately recommend watching it if you have the opportunity.

It's fantastic. I've lost my DVD of it, I'll have to get a new one.

I'm in a 'dark animated film' mood today, haha. I just watched Watership Down, which I haven't seen in years, and now I'm in the middle of Felidae right now.

Have you guys read the book, you really should as the movie differs quite a bit. I prefer the book

but the movie is really good too, well I always tend to prefer the book if it's been made to a movie.

axl rosE

but that affleck guy. and not only him but his bro as well. who the fuck talks like that? do they have some kind of disorder or somthin. :rolleyes:

Gone Baby Gone was one of the best movies this year.

And what your hearing from the Affleck brothers is called a Boston accent and where I live lots of people talk like that.

:rofl-lol:

one of the best movies this year? c'mon be serious.

and the boston accent sounds like a disability.

Gone Baby Gone was one of the best movies this year.

And what your hearing from the Affleck brothers is called a Boston accent and where I live lots of people talk like that.

:rofl-lol:

one of the best movies this year? c'mon be serious.

and the boston accent sounds like a disability.

Oh but I am. I am quite the film conosuier and I can say without hesitation that any movie based on a Dennis Lehane novel will be powerful and gripping. Gone Baby Gone and Mystic River had compelling characters, engaging plots, and moralistic dillemas that gave the characters dimensions beyond what you see in most movies. I suppose if one thinks that Die Hard is the standard all movies should be based on then you would be disapointed by the direction GBG takes.

Also I don't know where your from but I'm sure I could have a cackle or two at the way you people talk.

Edited by appetite4illusions

Watching Mallrats.

Fucking love it :lol:

Its hilarious.

Snoochie Bootchies ahahahahaha :rofl-lol:

xDSGx

Brodie: [brodie's voice] One time my cousin Walter got this cat stuck up his ass. True story. He bought it at our local mall, so the whole fiasco wound up on the news. It was embarrasing for my relatives and all, but next week, he did it again. Different cat, same results, complete with another trip to the emergency room. So, I run into him a week later in the mall and he's buying another cat. And I says to him, "Jesus, Walt! What are you doing? You know you're just gonna get this cat stuck up your ass too. Why don't you knock it off?" And he said to me, "Brodie, how the hell else am I supposed to get the gerbil out?" My cousin was a weird guy.

Best line ever. :rofl-lol:

Not to mention Shannen Doherty is a fucking babe in that movie.

Edited by Axl98

Except they're not actually grittier at all. The rules make the films more contrived and artificial than the average summer blockbuster. If it was a good idea, why have so few good films come from it?

i thought they were great :) the idiots, celebration etc

I liked "Buffalo 66". Didn't see Brown Bunny, except some pictures of Chloe giving him a blow job.

The other night I saw "Clerks 2" and "Jackass 2". I expected a little more from Clerks 2, but I enjoyed it.

And Jackass 2 is what it is.