Film Thread

ssiscool

Went to see Sweeney Todd on Friday.

Brilliant- so much fun, the acting and songs were ace...although Alan Rickman's singing is god-awful :lol: Nice unexpected cameo from Sacha Baron Cohen, I didn't know he was going to be in it- his voice cracked me up ^_^ I want to see it again now.

Edited by Axls Rocket Queen

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone seen any ads for Sweeney Todd that actually shows that it's a "musical"? I mean I know it's originally a light opera and all of that crap...but it's almost like they purposely aren't telling people it's a musical because so many less people would see it :lol:. I find that hilarious.

I watched Sweeney Todd yesterday and thought it was brilliant, afterwards i went to see AVP Requiem knowing full well it was going to be bad i didn't have any hopes but after seeing it i've decided it's the worst film i've ever seen at the cinema. To call it shocking, rubbish, abysmal and pathetic would be too good to the film, i just cannot find words to describe it. Why these shitty directors cannot leave the Alien and Predator franchise alone is beyond me.

Has anyone seen any ads for Sweeney Todd that actually shows that it's a "musical"? I mean I know it's originally a light opera and all of that crap...but it's almost like they purposely aren't telling people it's a musical because so many less people would see it :lol:. I find that hilarious.

Same thing with Across the Universe! I waited for two days for the bastard to finish downloading, thinking it would be some kickass movie about The Beatles and 60s culture in general, only to find out that it was a fucking musical about the 60s! :lol:

Not 'almost like', it's very calculated. They're trying to sell it directly to the horror nerds. When I saw it, there were some folks around us who were clearly taken aback. There have been several successful musicals over the last seven years or so, IMO, not marketing it straightforwardly was silly.

Same thing with Across the Universe! I waited for two days for the bastard to finish downloading, thinking it would be some kickass movie about The Beatles and 60s culture in general, only to find out that it was a fucking musical about the 60s! :lol:

Its pretty clear in the trailer that its a musical.

I saw the trailer when I went to see The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, and all I can remember seeing that could have had something to do with a musical was the guy on the beginning singing "Girl", and I just got the impression that he was in a band or something. I probably remember incorrectly, though.

Edited by Lithium

Original is a classic.

Don't get the 2nd one it's dreadful.

Ever since they finished with the first Texas Chainsaw masscare they've goten worse and worse.

I'd recommned The Nightmare On Elm Street or The Halloween(expect #3) series if you want good Horror flicks.

Edited by Axl98

After my friend finishes her work (slowest writer ever) I'm gonna make her watch Stardust with me. I love that film so much. I totally went to see it out of boredom with very few expectations and it turned out to be one of the most fun movies I've seen in quite a while.

De Niro really gained so much respect from me. Respect seems like the wrong word since he's obviously the greatest actor of all-time and I already respected him a ridiculous amount, but it was refreshing for such a legend to not be a pompus prick and play a role like that. He did wonders with it. It was quite surreal seeing him do that stuff but it made the movie for me.

I know I just think it's just one of those things where actors seem like sell outs.

It's just personally that I'd rather see Deniro do another role like his classics as opposed to a fantasy role.

It was just like when Travolta when from being Vincent Vega to be Chris Walken's wife.

He's still a great actor.

I know I just think it's just one of those things where actors seem like sell outs.

It's just personally that I'd rather see Deniro do another role like his classics as opposed to a fantasy role.

Considering all the shit he's done over the past decade, Stardust was actually a small step up for him.

It was just like when Travolta when from being Vincent Vega to be Chris Walken's wife.

That was pretty much the most challenging role he's ever taken. I don't see how that can be construed as a sell out. The majority of what he's done since Pulp Fiction, sure. But not Hairspray.

anyone ever see De Niro in Hi Mom? great fuckin movie :lol: back when De Palma knew where his nuts were at along with having a not too shabby idea on Hitchcocks too :book: and Axl98, selling out for an actor could more reasonably cited as sticking to a bankable stereotype cuz you know it sells not testing yourself as an artist.

Edited by ffrankwhite