Film Thread

ssiscool

Watched Pacific Rim today. If you're looking for an entertaining movie, look no further. I thought it was very good, albeit they did go overboard with the CGI. It feels like a 2-hour anime episode about monsters destroying everything in their path, though... which is not a bad thing, but if you're not into that sort of thing, then stay away from it. Because that is exactly what you're going to get. Robots and monsters and things being blown up and fights and more fights and explosions and missiles. It's the sort of movie you watch when you're bored out of your mind and you want something light to kill a couple of hours. It's not going to win an Oscar or anything. It's just your regular summer blockbuster.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pacific Rim was great. The plot is pretty cliche and at times predictable but the animation is just remarkable, one of the coolest action movies I've ever seen. I'd highly recommend seeing it in 3D if you're into that kind of shit.

I went and saw The East this evening. It is a more somber, less radical Point Break type movie about an anarchist environmentalist terrorist group starring Brit Marling, Ellen Page and 1000 year old Viking love god Eric Northman.

Edited by Randy Lahey

"the great white hope" is a good movie about jack johnson's life.

jack johnson was the first black world heavyweight boxing champion (1908-1915)

for more than thirteen years, jack johnson was the most famous and the most notorious african-american on earth.

Based on Howard Sackler's Broadway play about the life of flamboyant boxing great, Jack Johnson, THE GREAT WHITE HOPE stars James Earl Jones as Jack Jefferson, a fictional counterpart for Johnson. Jefferson, the first-ever African-American heavyweight champion, fights racism, hostile fans, and aggressive promoters to become the top fighter in the world in the early 1900s. However, once at the top, Jefferson finds that he has provoked the anger of the government, labor unions, and the boxing racket itself because of his race, talent, and his romance with a white woman, Eleanor (Jane Alexander). Under investigation by the government, Jefferson travels the world fighting for a promoter whose main focus is to find a white fighter who can match Jefferson's prowess in the ring--that is the definition of "the great white hope" of the title. Bolstered by Mr. Jones's powerful performance, THE GREAT WHITE HOPE is a searing examination of prejudice in 20th century America. The film doesn't back down from some of the more complex and disturbing issues in the play, namely the psychological reasons for the white establishment's fear of Johnson. Revealing and entertaining, Ritt's film takes an unflinching look at racial politics in America.

2141.jpg

Edited by pepsicoca

Guest Len B'stard

Spring Breakers is the best movie I've seen all year. I even bought it.

Its art, its art, you just dont get what they're trying to doooo :lol:

Pacific Rim was great. The plot is pretty cliche and at times predictable but the animation is just remarkable, one of the coolest action movies I've ever seen. I'd highly recommend seeing it in 3D if you're into that kind of shit.

I quite enjoyed it but I wish somebody would explain why all these huge robots and monsters knocking fuck out of each other movies have to be shot a certain way. I mean why were all the battles set at night with the camera right up the robots' arse so you can't fucking see what's going on? Is it really that hard to zoom out a bit and set some of the action in daylight?

Edited by Dazey

Guest Len B'stard

Have you seen that flick, Len?

Nahhh, sounds like a load of shit to be honest :shrugs: And i'm usually a fan of the whole Harmony Korine, Larry Clarke connection.

RIP Dennis Burkley, died a couple of days ago. Character actor who did a lot of stuff. Probably best known as Dozer in the movie "Mask". He played a biker who could not speak, but eventually spoke to Eric Stoltz character when he graduated. Also had a small but memorable part in "No Way Out" with Kevin Costner/Gene Hackman. One of those guys where you know the face, but not the name.

Nahhh, sounds like a load of shit to be honest :shrugs: And i'm usually a fan of the whole Harmony Korine, Larry Clarke connection.

I watched it last night. It is a load of shit. Franco's insane "Look at my sheeyit!" monologue was pretty great tho.

You should watch it and then come on here and type out a 5000 word post where you use 60 emoticons and call all of us who liked it "pretentious douchebags" in British slang.

Edited by Randy Lahey

I watched it last night. It is a load of shit. Franco's insane "Look at my sheeyit!" monologue was pretty great tho.

Yup. Franco has a few moments, but overall it's nearly unbearable. Sorry, Randy.