Queen and Freddie Mercury

Vincent Vega

Now I may come under flack for this, but in my opinion, Freddie was one of the greatest singers of all time, definately within the top 5, if not the top rock singer of all time. Queen's music was versatile--they tried all different styles and couldn't be pegged into one genre, whether it be Metal, Hard Rock, Opera, Pop, Rag-Time, Disco, Reggae, Dance, Ballroom, Ballad and many other styles. Freddie was much the same way: His look, style, and theme changed many times throughout his career, moreso than any other musician except maybe Bowie. He was a ''good old fashioned lover boy'' and yet the great pretender all in one. They were truly an amazing band. Sorry for going on and on, but Freddie was one of the most fascinating artists ever imo and Queen is my favourite band.

Early- Late 70s Freddie:

bwjacketrt8.png

Late 70s-1980

33tm5.jpg

fl01oj0.jpg

1980-1989

80sfreddiemo3.png

434uo1.jpg

badguyzw1.png]

1989-1991

1989wr8.png

ff09nl0.jpg

freddiemercury1991ax5.jpg

Edited by Honky Chateau

Queen are absolutely AMAZING, or at least they were, I haven't had a chance to see them with Paul Rodgers yet. Freddie was truly the master of the stage, nobody had a prescence like him and his voice was so versatile and strong he could sing pretty much anything he put his mind to, which he often did with Queen. One of the most fascinating things about Freddie, for me at least, was that he would go on stage and be this absolute God who you just couldn't take your eyes off, and then he would come off and go backstage and he was just a completely different person, shy, quiet and well spoken. Even though he was gay, which wasn't exactly universally accepted back then, and not exactly the greatest looking guy in the world, he could go out on stage and just memorise the audience.

Queen had the kind of chemistry that only comes in very special bands. Guns had it, the Stones have it, Zep had it, The Who had it and so did Queen. It's quite amazing how many genres they could stretch to and make them completely their own. So many of their songs are absolute classics and I can never get tired of listening to them. All of them were some of the very best at what they did. Definitely in my top five bands, most probably in my top three. :)

Edited by UseYourAppetite

Queen are absolutely AMAZING, or at least they were, I haven't had a chance to see them with Paul Rodgers yet. Freddie was truly the master of the stage, nobody had a prescence like him and his voice was so versatile and strong he could sing pretty much anything he put his mind to, which he often did with Queen. One of the most fascinating things about Freddie, for me at least, was that he would go on stage and be this absolute God who you just couldn't take your eyes off, and then he would come off and go backstage and he was just a completely different person, shy, quiet and well spoken. Even though he was gay, which wasn't exactly universally accepted back then, and not exactly the greatest looking guy in the world, he could go out on stage and just memorise the audience.

Queen had the kind of chemistry that only comes in very special bands. Guns had it, the Stones have it, Zep had it, The Who had it and so did Queen. It's quite amazing how many genres they could stretch to and make them completely their own. So many of their songs are absolute classics and I can never get tired of listening to them. All of them were some of the very best at what they did. Definitely in my top five bands, most probably in my top three. :)

Amen. Great post. They were really one of the greatest bands ever, and he was an awesome guy. Actually, he wasn't gay, but he was Bi.

IMO Queen had the greatest catalogue of albums of any band to come out of the 70's, better than Zeppelin, The Stones or anyone else; from Queen I to The Game, they had a streak of 8 glorious albums full of sheer classics and true gems. They were just such an amazingly talented band, the vocal combinations of Freddie, Roger Taylor and Brian May were just mind blowing, they could have all been lead vocalists, and the power through their harmonys is absolutely breath taking. As well as their instrumental talents; Brian May being a guitar talent that dwarfs someone like Jimmy Page, Roger Taylor being one of the most influential and imaginative drummers of the era and Freddie's piano skills, which are usually not quite obvious but come through on such tracks as Death on Two Legs. And with John Deacon who could always lay down a good groove and sometimes came through with some great Bass lines, Queen were without a doubt in my mind a band only 2nd to a group like the Beatles.

Edited by pain cake