Do people even still care about "music"......

SunnyDRE

So it seems to me that fewer and fewer people buy cd's or even listen to much music anymore.....

..I mean Cd sales year after year increasling go down....Music companies firing thousands of people every quarter.

Shit most of radio these days is either "talk radio" or "Old Time Christian Music"..........

Everyone says that its because of illegal downloading/technolgy etc; But I don't buy it. I just think music is becoming very irrelvant in peoples lives anymore.

I mean out of all my friends I am the one who owns the most cds......most of friends don't even own more than 20 cds.....I find that pathetic

Guest Jack_the_ripper

sadly enough DSG, I'm exactly the same, however I'm going on 500... bought nearly 250 in 2007 alone (but that's probably because I had a job, and could afford it.)

my friends son is releasing a cd soon he signed with sony and he was telling me that he will get a larger amount of money from itunes per an album than per a cd i just thought that was so weird and he was telling me all the internet adverstig stuff things have become so different i do download but always but cds from bands i really like. i do think music still big i just think think its bigger in a younger age group my 9 year loves her little pop star yuck but its her thing right now

Edited by chesire78

Guest Jack_the_ripper
my friends son is releasing a cd soon he signed with sony and he was telling me that he will get a larger amount of money from itunes per an album than per a cd i just thought that was so weird and he was telling me all the internet adverstig stuff things have become so different i do download but always but cds from bands i really like. i do think music still big i just think think its bigger in a younger age group my 9 year loves her little pop star yuck but its her thing right now

whats the name of his band?

I disagree. Music is more accessible these days than ever before. People don't have to invest wads of cash to check stuff out. Just because the corporations are losing power over the means of distribution, it doesn't imply that music is no longer relevant to the population. Very weak argument.

I still buy CD's.

I hate having copied albums and downloaded stuff, I dont know why :huh:

I'm the same way. Same with my DVD collection. My friend harrasses me about that. He's always telling me to download it and get it free, and you can even print out the covers and all, but no I would rather have the original.

Oh and SunnyDRE I am very passionate about music. Allways was and always will be.

I disagree. Music is more accessible these days than ever before. People don't have to invest wads of cash to check stuff out. Just because the corporations are losing power over the means of distribution, it doesn't imply that music is no longer relevant to the population. Very weak argument.

Truth is somewhere in the middle. The prospect of say, Reprise Records being replaced by MySpace bloody terrifies me.

I think music lost some kind of relevance these days. People might still be listening to music, but it's not the same anymore. Nowadays you listen to an mp3 for a while and when the artist disappeared from the surface you don't listen to that song anymore and go on and download the next one, because that one is now en vogue. You don't have to spend your money anymore, you can have every album in the whole world for free. People just don't care about their music and bands, because they didn't pay a dime for their music, that's why the music and bands don't have that much influence anymore. Nowadays new bands that aren't 0815 don't have any chance. Look at Justin Timberlake or whatever. It doesn't matter if he releases good music, his music will become popular because it's Justin Timberlake, not because he's making good music (which he isn't). It's not about being good anymore, it's about having a certain name and that's what is ruining the music business.

I still buy my music and I own about 200 CD's, probably more than 200. It's just more pleasure to listen to music if you own the actual album.

There's some younger people who still care about music but not that many. Just like what someone else said, pretty much everyone else just goes on iTunes or whatever else and buys one track, "loves" the crap out of it and then deletes it to go get their new stuff. And it's always the singles. (The real gems are hidden on the full album for me. I always like one song better than the singles.) Then later they when something is deemed uncool, no matter how much they listened to it, they bash it along with their friends, who listened to it too.

And about the digital stuff, I personally would rather own a full album on CD. Not burnt either. In all honesty... I'd rather own it on a vinyl. A full album play-thru can't be beat. That's the real music expierence.

I'm a bit of a tit when it comes to music, I'll buy a CD regardless of what the hell they sound like in some cases, just because they might have a replacement drummer from a band I sort of like.

For example. I've bought Union's album, which has replacement members of Motley Crue and KISS in. Just because I like Crue and KISS.

Oh and Arcade's album because it had Cinderella's drummer in it. (And Stephen Pearcey from Ratt, but I didn't know that at the time)

Edited by Binge_And_Slash

I own getting on for 300 Cd's.

I download a few tracks to see if I like a band then buy their albums(s)

I'm a little obsessive about my Cd's unfortunately.. I don't let people touch them.

They're in a very specific alphabetical/chronological order :lol:

Very anal.

xDSGx

:guilty:

Guest Satanisk_Slakt
Except for breathing, walking and talking, listening to music is what I do the most.

Yeah, me too. I think I even listen more to music then taling some weeks.

I have a pretty impresive collection of CD.

I try to buy local band Cds most of the time.

I'm not into popular music at all or Hip Hop. I like to discover new bands. I try to buy 1 to 3 cds every week.

There is a lot of great band out there with great music. What you hear on radio or Tv is just a little % of what's out there.

Music is great because you have to discover it and try to find what you like.

If you listen only to radio or Tv, yes music suck.

But go out there, plenty of good stuff to listen to.

OH and I NEVER dowloaded an album. I'm against that totally.

Edited by Montrealer

I had over 500 CDs at one point or another...I'm probably down to about 200 now....they seem to get lost, stolen, damaged, etc, over the years. Then again I'm from a different generation (generation X)....

The reason for the fall of music is that the new bands out there are pathetic...come on now, if the music industry's top band is Fall Out Boy....what does that say about new music???

The reason for the fall of music is that the new bands out there are pathetic...come on now, if the music industry's top band is Fall Out Boy....what does that say about new music???

It says that a lot of people aren't biased metal-heads that will only listen to a certain genre, and that they happen to enjoy listening to Fall Out Boy. [which i find absolutely nothing wrong with]

Let people listen to what they want and stop being such an ignorant tool.

Personally, I don't really mind if people want to listen to music or see it as an integral part of their lives because I know it is part of mine, I have a good few friends whom see it as theirs too (some whom I'm in bands with) and live in a city where you can go hear live music of a high quality any day of the week. I don't really care if the music industry dies, if anything, I long for it and find it much healthier if bands get the majority of their income from touring rather than recorded music.

It's always nice when you find someone whom you can talk to about music but, on the grand scheme of things, I'm not fretting too much if people don't know their MC5 from their Jackson 5.