Pearl Jam's Ten

Master Of Puppets

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly think it's one of the best. I think this is way above anything else Pearl Jam have released (even though some of their other albums, namely Vs., are also great).

I find myself listening to Ten at least once a month or so. "Black", "Oceans", "Even Flow", "Alive", "Once", "Jeremy" ... there's so many classics.

IMO best album of the 90's, its just flawless. Tracks like Once, Why Go, Porch etc. are just absolutely raging, then the alternative stuff like Oceans and Black are awesome chill songs then Release is one of the most heart breaking songs I've ever heard. Definitely in my top 10 of all time.

Pick up VS IMO it's much better Ten is amazing stuff too though.

Though I do love VS, I find it has a lot less exciting tracks on it. For example Rearviewmirror is a song I never saw the appeal of... though people praise it as they're greatest song. There are some cool experimental tracks like Indifference and WMA, but for the most part it's just far under par of Ten, such tracks like Blood, Rats and Go aren't what I'd call bad, but they're far less exciting to the imaginative instrumentals and lyrics that you find in Ten.

But it definitely is the next place to go after Ten

Edited by pain cake

Exceptional.

I don't like Why Go too much though. That wouldn't be so bad, but it's positioned so that it ruins what would otherwise be a mindblowing streak of songs.

Favorites, the first 6 tracks (minus Why Go), Garden and Release.

Beside it's musical value, it' also a lyrical masterpiece. The stories are so dark and haunting, so touching it's incredible. It says so much in so few words. Vedder is brilliant at this. Take Alive, it's good when you first hear it, but when put into context when you know what it's actually about, it's... it's something else. It's so good it's not even true. Same with Jeremy. (But I find Alive far superior)

And I don't think there are any lyrics to better describe that sensation of losing love better than Black.

It's not just good, it's amazing.

VS has some REALLY good songs, but when listened to as a whole, from beggining to end, Ten is better in my oppinion.

To be honest, I never saw what was so good about Nirvana. I like Soundgarden and Pearl Jam a lot, but Nirvana just seemed... boring. I suppose it's cos Nirvana is very much more depressing than the other two. PJ and SG may have some very bleak songs, but nothing they wrote matches a lot of Nirvana's stuff. (Except Jeremy lol)

Nirvana's Nevermind may have been the album that broke grunge and alternative rock into the mainstream, but there's no underestimating the role that Pearl Jam's Ten played in keeping them there. Nirvana's appeal may have been huge, but it wasn't universal.

Having a good time stealing lines from AMG, are we? :krider:

Nirvana's Nevermind may have been the album that broke grunge and alternative rock into the mainstream, but there's no underestimating the role that Pearl Jam's Ten played in keeping them there. Nirvana's appeal may have been huge, but it wasn't universal.

Wasn't universal?

Yet you said it broke grunge and alternative rock into the mainstream. You contradict yourself.

I'm not hating on Pearl Jam; but I think there is something to be said by the fact that if anyone starts any thread about any rock band....somehow it turns into "That" band vs. Nirvana.

It goes show just how important and influetianl Nirvana was/is. Even if you don't like them......they cross-overed to a point were everyone at least has an opinion of them.

Wasn't universal?

Yet you said it broke grunge and alternative rock into the mainstream. You contradict yourself.

I'm not hating on Pearl Jam; but I think there is something to be said by the fact that if anyone starts any thread about any rock band....somehow it turns into "That" band vs. Nirvana.

It goes show just how important and influetianl Nirvana was/is. Even if you don't like them......they cross-overed to a point were everyone at least has an opinion of them.

Great point.

Wasn't universal?

Yeah they definatly have crossed over to the point where practically everyone has an opinion of them now but not everyone had an opinion of them when they were still functioning as a band.

Anyway, Ten, great album, not one of my favs or anythin but i like it none the less.