Pearl Jam's Ten

Master Of Puppets

Imo, Pearl Jam is so much more than your average "Grunge"band (like Nirvana).

:rolleyes:

Don'cupcake your eyes at my opinion, sweety.

The only good thing Nirvana ever did, which showed something like musical diversity, is the Unplugged thing, I really really like it. It's hard for me to sit through more than one Nirvana studio album in a row (which is Nevermind mostly, I have all the other albums too, though). Pearl Jam on the other hand... :wub:

you're missing the point that its unfair to compare like that cuz Nirvana never got the chance to diversify musically (which aint PJs fault yeah) but then look at the thematic range and depth of the exploration thereof. look at the HUGE difference in the quality of song writing and sense of melody (songwriting ok is an opinion thing but melody is a cold hard fact). and again, indisputable fact, Nirvana had their own stamp, their own musical dynamic...PJ simply did not/have not. Nirvanas appeal is instinctive, thats why the appeals been wider since day one, PJ's is more intellectual. therein lies the difference.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nirvana never got the chance to diversify musically

You're right about that. It's kinda sad, cause I once read that Kurt planned to do a soloalbum or making the new album more of an acoustic afford (I'm not sure which scenario it was), with the REM dude as the producer, I think that could've turned out great, as they did that Unplugged concert really well.

look at the HUGE difference in the quality of song writing and sense of melody (songwriting ok is an opinion thing but melody is a cold hard fact).

What do you mean by that? Don't you think that PJ is melodic? I think that's bullshit, it's again nothing but an opinion, not a cold hard fact.

and again, indisputable fact, Nirvana had their own stamp, their own musical dynamic...PJ simply did not/have not.

Again, nothing indisputable, it's your opinion, I think PJ and Nirvana are nothing which can be compared too easily (I know I did it just before, we all do it), because both of 'em have their own musical dynamic and identity, they quickly became something different. I don't even think Nevermind and Ten can be compared, because they're quite different, which means, that they both have their own stamps. Just because the media invented the Grunge hype and every band from Seattle was signed just to ride the hype, doesn't mean that it makes Nirvana the blue-print of every band from that time and no other band has got their own identity/stamp. There were "grungy" bands before Nirvana, but I guess I don't have to tell YOU that... ;)

I hope you can follow my somehow strange sentences, I'm not sure if everything is correct... :D

Edited by Spoon87

You're right about that. It's kinda sad, cause I once read that Kurt planned to do a soloalbum or making the new album more of an acoustic afford (I'm not sure which scenario it was), with the REM dude as the producer, I think that could've turned out great, as they did that Unplugged concert really well.

not only that but Kurt explicitly said that In Utero would be their last three chord rock n roll album...sad really, oh well..

What do you mean by that? Don't you think that PJ is melodic? I think that's bullshit, it's again nothing but an opinion, not a cold hard fact.

im sorry dude but its not just an opinion, Kurt had an inate grasp of simple, infectious melody on a Lennon/McCartney level...it was cloaked in distortion and electricity but it still translated...even more so as evidenced by their Unplugged Session...theres a reason why thats like the most famous unplugged ever...few have that. im not saying that this means that Pearl Jam have absolutely no sense of melody WHATSOEVER

because both of 'em have their own musical dynamic and identity, they quickly become something different

i could cite you scores of bands that sound just like Pearl Jam and bands in turn that Pearl Jam sound like...or sound like a neutered version of. their musical identity didnt go much further than being part of a batch almost (sonically speaking) thats understating it a little but not by a lot. Nirvana had their own dynamic, i have not to this day found a band that sounds like Nirvana...they had certain indisputable qualities like Kurts "anti-solos"...the polar loud to quiet dynamic (as evidenced throughout their catalogue...was part of what made them come across so blistering, you could possibly say thats a Pixies thing but i dont think so, not that Kurt WASNT influenced by them and not because the Pixies didnt do it, people have had that idea before but it was never taken to the level or coupled with that sense pop melody, it was that Nirvana did that, maybe thats part of the genius of Nirvana, that they appropriated the right things in music for the right kind of music, isnt that the measure of genius itself really?) Kurts guitar sound on the whole really (alternative tuning etc) was part of a lineage that you can identify as being one in a line of originators dating back to the No Wave Scene in the late 70s and tons of other things that can make you stop in your tracks and go "yeah, thats a Nirvana song" and there aint a band out there like that (as in alike to that sound)...not that i've heard at least. THAT is what i mean by their own musical identity and dynamic which, im sorry but Pearl Jam just dont have, not of their own. Jesus, i've known people to mistake Blind Melon for Pearl Jam before now.

Edited by ffrankwhite

not only that but Kurt explicitly said that In Utero would be their last three chord rock n roll album...sad really, oh well..

im sorry dude but its not just an opinion, Kurt had an inate grasp of simple, infectious melody on a Lennon/McCartney level...it was cloaked in distortion and electricity but it still translated...even more so as evidenced by their Unplugged Session...theres a reason why thats like the most famous unplugged ever...few have that. im not saying that this means that Pearl Jam have absolutely no sense of melody WHATSOEVER

because both of 'em have their own musical dynamic and identity, they quickly become something different

i could cite you scores of bands that sound just like Pearl Jam and bands in turn that Pearl Jam sound like...or sound like a neutered version of. their musical identity didnt go much further than being part of a batch almost (sonically speaking) thats understating it a little but not by a lot. Nirvana had their own dynamic, i have not to this day found a band that sounds like Nirvana...they had certain indisputable qualities like Kurts "anti-solos"...the polar loud to quiet dynamic (as evidenced throughout their catalogue...was part of what made them come across so blistering, you could possibly say thats a Pixies thing but i dont think so, not that Kurt WASNT influenced by them and not because the Pixies didnt do it, people have had that idea before but it was never taken to the level or coupled with that sense pop melody, it was that Nirvana did that, maybe thats part of the genius of Nirvana, that they appropriated the right things in music for the right kind of music, isnt that the measure of genius itself really?) Kurts guitar sound on the whole really (alternative tuning etc) was part of a lineage that you can identify as being one in a line of originators dating back to the No Wave Scene in the late 70s and tons of other things that can make you stop in your tracks and go "yeah, thats a Nirvana song" and there aint a band out there like that (as in alike to that sound)...not that i've heard at least. THAT is what i mean by their own musical identity and dynamic which, im sorry but Pearl Jam just dont have, not of their own. Jesus, i've known people to mistake Blind Melon for Pearl Jam before now.

Actually ffrank Hole's second album sounds just like Nevermind; 'Cept it is sung by a girl.

Some people think Kurt write that album too.

Edited by SunnyDRE