Indie

Graeme

I saw an advert on tv advertising the latest up-and-coming Indie band and couldn't help but notice that they sounded exactly the same as just about every other band having hits today.

Now don't get me wrong, I love indie music, (by Indie I mean the branch of alternative rock originally known as indie because of independent label but has become a blanket term to mean most commercial alternative rock.) Bands like Oasis, Stereophonics, James and the Manic Street Preachers were the bands that got me into music.

What I don't like is what it's become which is a bunch of guys who tend to all look similar singing in unconvincing cockney accents (I'm with Ffrankwhite in that the music scene gets boring if everyone sings in an Americanised way ) But the same ethic applies because all the singers using the same god awful cockney accent even if it's not the accent they speak with gets just as boring. And the banality of the musicianship itself; to say "It all sounds the same sounds uneducated and intolerant... but it really does. there's no passion, it just feels like going through the ropes, no individuality either, it's like it's designed to a blueprint of how to be a commercially successful band.

The point of some of the good bands i mentioned earlier was that they all had an original sound, with the Manics you'd get the outstandingly clever lyrics, a wall of les paul oriented guitar and James Dean Bradfield's powerful vocals. Oasis gave you the classic Mancunian snarl over some classic rock n roll riffs and had great, catchy songs. With James there was an almost spiritual quality to their music amd sometimes a genuine sense of darkness and danger, Dave Baynton-Power's drumming standing out because it was anyhting but average and Tim Booth is one of the most underrated and charismatic frontmen of the 1990s.

Nowadays with these artists who brand themselves "Indie" you get none of that and my point is it's going to have to end soon, there are too many bands on this scene for it not to.

Just my opinion, if yours is the polar opposite, or if you agree, please share. :)

Maybe I am dumb, but I don't get what your saying.

List bands that annoy if your going to make such a blanket statement.

There are a LOT of bands that I feel are covered by this, bands like The Hoosiers, The Wombats, The Kooks, The View, The Fray, Razorlight, Hard-Fi, The Pigeon Detectives etc...

As for what i'm trying to say is that, for me this scene of music which I once loved has grown stale and there's nothing significant or groundbreaking coming out of it at all any more.

OK......well now that I know some bands you are talking about....can I say I disagree and your dislike of indie music lately probaly is just due to the 3 facts : 1. You are bored with the music your listening to right now. 2. YOU ARE GETTING OLDER 3. You are probaly NOT LOOKING HARD ENOUGH.

-Record stores still exist

-Flea Markets

-Recommendations from friends

-Pawn Shops

-Read Music Magazines (Not just Rollingstone)

-Allmusicguide

Peace.

Edited by SunnyDRE