The Loudness War

KBear

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/177...f_high_fidelity

http://www.turnmeup.org

A good article from RS, and then a link the the organization formed to bring dynamic range back to the music that we all listen to.

I'm not sure how many audiophiles there are in this forum, but if you care about good sound then it may be worth registering at turnmeup.org. I know that I've heard the dynamic range compression on CDs the past ten to fifteen years, and I find it ridiculous that with the level of technology we now have that music recorded decades ago sounds better than the music recorded now. It's really unfortunate, and is just another affront from the iPod and cellphone generation.

A good article from RS, and then a link the the organization formed to bring dynamic range back to the music that we all listen to.

I'm not sure how many audiophiles there are in this forum, but if you care about good sound then it may be worth registering at turnmeup.org. I know that I've heard the dynamic range compression on CDs the past ten to fifteen years, and I find it ridiculous that with the level of technology we now have that music recorded decades ago sounds better than the music recorded now. It's really unfortunate, and is just another affront from the iPod and cellphone generation.

I'm with you-I read that RS article too, and I'm getting into collecting vinyl now. You'd be surprised to find out that there are still some good bands putting stuff out in LP(albeit in limited runs). There's always the classic stuff, and I've found a lot of treasures both in record stores and on Ebay.

I'm with you-I read that RS article too, and I'm getting into collecting vinyl now. You'd be surprised to find out that there are still some good bands putting stuff out in LP(albeit in limited runs). There's always the classic stuff, and I've found a lot of treasures both in record stores and on Ebay.

Yeah man, I'm into vinyl too. Haven't got a player yet but I've picked up some records. I know a bunch of new albums are on vinyl. Contraband was, for one. Got most of GN'R's releases on vinyl too. Ebay is just a treasure trove. I'll hopefully have a record player in the next year or two, probably a Rega.

i had to explain this issue to my band mates when we made our cd recently. they were concerned that our cd was quiter than any othe cd they were currently listening to. now they understand how cool it is to have an album that actually breathes. the dynamic moments ring true and the quiet parts are actually quiet.

i'm applying to have our cd "turn me up!" certified.

i had to explain this issue to my band mates when we made our cd recently. they were concerned that our cd was quiter than any othe cd they were currently listening to. now they understand how cool it is to have an album that actually breathes. the dynamic moments ring true and the quiet parts are actually quiet.

Does your band have a My Space or something? You always seem to have good taste, so I'd like to hear some tunes.

Does your band have a My Space or something? You always seem to have good taste, so I'd like to hear some tunes.

thanks for the kind words. i can't direct link because i'm at work and myspace is taboo here.

www.myspace.com/shotgunmessenger

i'm not sure what we have on our myspace right now. if "Polk Salad Annie" is on there, that's just us goofing in the studio. our cd should be out sometime by the middle of May.

thanks for the kind words. i can't direct link because i'm at work and myspace is taboo here.

www.myspace.com/shotgunmessenger

i'm not sure what we have on our myspace right now. if "Polk Salad Annie" is on there, that's just us goofing in the studio. our cd should be out sometime by the middle of May.

That's pretty crazy! Good luck with the release man. I'm envious!