5 years ago

DirtyDeeds

Today is the 5 year anniversary of the horrible fire at a Great White concert. About 100 people died, including fans and a band member, and many many more were burned or suffered injuries.

Twisted Sister is spearheading a benefit concert for the families of the dead and for the injured-- some of which still need treatment. This fire left almost 70 children without one or both parents. This benefit will include Twisted Sister, Tesla, Big n' Rich, and the surviving members of Boston and will take place at the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, RI.

Rock in peace to all those who died at the hands of this fire and here's hoping this benefit concert will help the survivors and families of the dead, many of whom have gone practically unaided since the fire.

5 years, damn. Its a strange thing, because its feels as if it just a few weeks ago. I can't believe 100 people had to die the way they all did, trapped. There were actually quite a few people from my area that died there. I even had a neighbor who lost his daughter. Just awful.

Rip

I still have a video of the news coverage that day and the next.

Images of terrified people piled high at the door,their upper torsos actually outside the front door.

Ultimately they died.

Footage of a camera at the side door shining a light inside,screaming for people to follow the camera light.No one comes,you just hear horrific screams.

And the footage of the fire actually starting.

I've never forgotten those images,and ever since then,every single club show I go to I always check where the exits are.And I make sure I'm within easy reach of at least one.

just an awful mess the whole thing was...

Good to hear about the benefit...kudos to all involved!

Oh, I forgot to mention... I believe the entire benefit concert is to be aired on VH-1. I'll definitely be watching.

cool,thanks for the heads up!

That means up here we'll probaly get it (eventually) on Much More Music.

Unless they decide to air it live this time.

Is there a date on this yet?

Oh, I forgot to mention... I believe the entire benefit concert is to be aired on VH-1. I'll definitely be watching.

cool,thanks for the heads up!

That means up here we'll probaly get it (eventually) on Much More Music.

Unless they decide to air it live this time.

Is there a date on this yet?

Hmmm... it looks like the concert is Monday, but it will be aired on VH-1 over Easter. Guess this means they're gonna be chopping it up :( Still cool.

Anybody within reach of the benefit grab a ticket and go if you can,

As of today ticket sales are real low and its a good show for a good cause.

If I was anywhere remotely close I would be there in a heartbeat. It would be the concert of a lifetime for me. Shame others don't think the same.

I was 10 at the time, so i cant remember this at all.

That video is incredibly daunting. This is a map of where the victims were found (wikipedia)

800px-Stationvictims.png

Imaging being the person in the mens toilets. Totally alone.

Probably in poor taste to say this, but is the one on the dance floor Great White's guitarist?

And DirtyDeeds, I wouldn't have seen any reason why Great White doing a benefit concert would be in poor taste or at least showing some support to the cause.

ya know.............................

do you film terrified people piled high at the front door,with precious minutes to spare

...or do you put the fuckin camera down and try to help pull some people off of that pile?

Edited by zint61

ya know.............................

do you film terrified people piled high at the front door,with precious minutes to spare

...or do you put the fuckin camera down and try to help pull some people off of that pile?

I'd like to think I'd put down the camera and try to pull people out, but I don't know how I would react in that type of situation. It happened so fast, total chaos.

I went to a restaurant/bar with a band playing a few days after this, and I immediately scoped out the exits. I still do.

Edit: At 6:56 on the video, just after the band stopped playing, it sounds like the lead singer says "Thats not good".

Edited by JONEZY