Phases in your music taste

Justagroupie

Thinking back at alot of the phases I underwent to get to where I am now musically, I'm both suprised and relieved at the choices that I made in terms of genres, etc. While alot of my phases were pretty in sync with my lifestyle, I feel they've helped me become MUCH more open minded when it comes to genres.

Topic is clear, what music phases did you go through? How did your lifestyle affect the "genre" of that period? Discuss!

I think my music taste went a little like this- of course, I maintained the same favorites whilst I underwent these changes in my life, but I started becoming more open minded..! I feel that without these phases [that were relative to my life occurences], I wouldn't enjoy music at the same level I do nowadays.

Alright so here it goes, starting from when I was about 12 when I truly started to understand music up to now when I'm still trying to experiment with the flexibility of music!

- The whole "mainstream rock" phase

- Metal

- Darker metal and thrash

- Classic Rock

- Blues

- Punk

- Ska/Punk/Reggae

- Reggae/ psychedelic trance

- Trance/ Metal

- Old School rap and Reggae

- Jazz

- Reggae, funk and alternative

If you can't be bothered to list them, then discuss how your change in genres, or even in bands- if any- have affected your life.

Cool idea. It's cool that you're/were into jazz. Don't see that so much these days with us young 'uns.

Starting from when I was about 8, when I first started listening to music. The beginning won't be genres as I didn't really start listening to genres until I was older.

- Spice Girls (No kidding, that's all I'd listen to)

- Pokemon the first movie soundtrack. :lol:

- Eminem

- Mainstream rap and R&B (50 Cent, Missy Elliot)

- Mainstream pop-punk (Good Charlotte, Blink 182, Linkin Park)

- Some nu-metal and first started getting into RHCP

- Classic rock and metal. (Wouldn't listen to anything besides classic rock and would always dismiss modern rock as shit, no matter what)

- Thrash Metal, Modern rock, Bebop, punk, grunge

- Hip hop, industrial, techno

Think that's it. Luckily now, I think I have a pretty ranged taste in music all the way from King Diamond to Mika.

starting from when I lived in Virginia(I honestly can't remember my exact ages, lol... everything just kinda blends into certain states when I think back)

Virginia/North Carolina/6th Grade in Arizona (often picked on, the psychadelics made me feel relaxed when I felt stressed, country helped me think that things weren't as bad as the could be, and the pop and Smashmouth made me feel that maybe I had a chance of fitting in)

- Psychadelic (Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead)

-country (Tim McGraw, some Garth Brooks)

-pop (Backstreet Boys, N*Sync, Baja Men(SP?)) (don't have any idea how I got into those last two genres, lol)

-Alternative (Smashmouth) (I think they were called alternative back then)

Arizona Middle School (believed that if I chose one loose genre I could easily encompass anything musical and make friends easier)

-classic rock (as people told me it was, no longer use the term "classic rock") (Blood, Sweat, & Tears, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Twisted Sister, Motley Crue, Beatles, still Pink Floyd)

Arizona High School Freshman - Sophomore Year(came to the belief that I was born and living through the wrong time period, and, that I should have been a teen in the 80's)

- Glam Metal (Skid Row, Twisted Sister, Ratt, Dokken, Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses, Quiet Riot)

- Synth Pop (A-ha, Corey Hart, Devo, Billy Idol)

- 80's Pop (Madonna, Michael Jackson(blackface MJ, anyways), Prince, Culture Club, Duran Duran)

- Jazz (Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Maynard Ferguson, Frank Sinatra)

- Modern Hip- Hop (Outkast, Twista, Kanye, D12, Eminem, Lil' Jon & The Eastside Boyz, Ying Yang Twins) (secretly enjoyed this genre)

- Modern Rock (Blink 182, Papa Roach, Seether, Evanescence, Yeah Yeah Yeah's, Velvet Revolver) (secretly enjoyed this genre as well)

- True Metal (as I used to call it) (Black Sabbath, Dio, Dio Sabbath, Ozzy, Led Zeppelin, Blue Oyster Cult, Motorhead)

Arizona Junior Year - Today(grew to simply love music, in all its forms, and to love hearing it at anytime)

- All from Freshman - Sophomore Year (especially Guns & Roses and Motley Crue)

- Funk Metal (Faith No More, Living Colour)

- Mike Patton (I label him as a separate genre dut to all his unique bands) (Peeping Tom, Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Fantomas, Kaada/Patton, etc...)

- Avant-Garde (Buckethead, Praxis, Primus, Col. Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains, Col. Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade)

- Grindcore (Blood for Shallow Water (friends old band), Efrem Schulz (performs Botnus with Buckethead)

- 90's Alternative/Grunge (Blind Melon, (The) Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Nirvana)

- Beatboxing (Rahzel, Buttercup)

- Ska (Reel Big Fish)

- Punk (Ramones)

- Thrash (Anthrax)

- Power Metal (Sonata Arctica, Edguy, Avantasia, Visions of Atlantis, Nightwish)

- Modern Metal (Lordi, In This Moment)

- Classical (Beethoven, Mozart)

I started as a normal person who only used MTV as the main source for music, so I listened a lot of Alternative Rock bands.

But some years ago, I was just watching classic videos and I was really shocked when I saw Bon Jovi's Livin' On A Prayer; this image and music changed my life forever. Glam Metal was and still is my favorite genre, but I also found other genres like Speed Metal, Thrash Metal, Sleaze Rock, Progessive Metal, Glam Rock and more Hard Rock music.

Also like 2 years ago I started to listen Pop new Wave and I like many bands.

Alternative Rock was completely deleted from my taste. I don't hear it as music anymore, it's just a simple sound for me.

Edited by JKKDARK

Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, all those gay shit

Blink182, Greenday, and old 90's one hit wonders

Beatles,

OLD OLD Rat Pack stuff,

KISS

Beatles

KISS/Aerosmith

Ozzy

GNR

VR

STP

Sublime

Smashing Pumpkins

Foo Fighters (always been there since Ozzy but got big)

Greenday and Blink182 (same as above)

GNR= Poison, VR, STP, Motley Crue, Rolling Stones

Now its all of those

Started off with what the media and my family fed me, discovered hard rock, metal and classic rock at 10-12. Since then I've tried to broaden my horizon as much as possible by listening to a large variety of different types of music, like jazz, psychedelic, punk, blues, new wave, alternative rock, rap, hip hop, funk, soul, world, experimental, ska, reggae, dub, r&b, house, etc.

i think i went through 3 phases. maybe 4.

phase 1. childhood.

country - it was alway on the radio. always. if i tried to think what music i heard first, it'd have to be country.

rock - there's something about hearing an electric guitar squeal for the first time. it was like a country band on steroids fronted by the devil himself.

phase 2. mainstream.

everything that was playing on tv, i was into.

phase 3. high school.

had a rock renascence in high school where i listened to everything i missed before.

very late in high school got into reggae and rap/hip hop.

phase 4. genre-less.

right now i'm listening to everything with an open mind and its great. looking back in high school when i was only listening to rock i can't help but think, how did i survive listening to that one genre alone. it's like, pizza is great. if you love pizza and you're eating pizza for breakfast, lunch and dinner you'd think you had the best life ever. yet you're missing out on so much and you don't even realise it.

Michael Jackson-Thriller was my first album

AC/DC, Aerosmith, GnR, and other assorted cock rock

Public Enemy, Ice T, NWA (hooray for tolerance!z4life is almost the only album I listened to for about a year)

Metallica, GnR, Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg

Pearl Jam, STP, Soundgarden, Tupac, Cypress Hill, Wu Tang Clan, CCR, and Springsteen

Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, The Stones, and Pink Floyd

Oasis, The Kinks, The Who, Ozzy and Sabbath

Prodigy, NIN, Paul Oakenfold, and The Chemical Brothers

Van Halen, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, and Eminem

The Stones, The Kinks, and Guns N' Roses- Currently as this decade has fucking sucked for new music.

Lately I've been listening to The Kinks, Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, and The Mahivishnu Orchestra

I forgot about my country phase when I listened to nothing but CMT one summer. Stuff like Dwight Yoakam, Joe Diffie, Confederate Railroad, Alan Jackson, George Jones, Faith Hill, and Tanya Tucker. Unfortunately CMT switched to a Canadian version and I quit listening to Country.

Edited by Randy Lahey

7th grade - classic rock (AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Rush, etc.)

8th grade - still classic rock

9th grade - 60's rock (The Rolling Stones, Hendrix, Beatles, Cream, Pink Floyd, etc.)

10th grade - Thrash & NWOBHM (Iron Maiden, Slayer, Metallica, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, etc.)

11th grade (now) - Skate rock & hardcore punk (Bad Brains, McRad, Minor Threat, Casualties, Black Flag, etc.)

0-8 No music really. I wasn't a musical person!

9-11 Britney Spears :wub: and all the mainstream same old

12-13 Country! Country pop to be exact and the regular type to

14-early 15 I heard Aerosmith's Dream On in a Buick commercial, and went for classic rock and pop rock

Mid 15-Early16 Pure classic rock and 80's rock (when I joined here)

mid 16 Grunge and the above

late 16-now: The above two, plus trash, hair metal, progressive, etc.

So..chronological order of favorite artisits:

Britney Spears

Shakira

Toby Keith

Montgomery Gentry

The Killers

Aerosmith (I was obsessed with them)

Guns N' Roses

maybe Def Leppard now, lol, who knows.

Edited by P.A. Guns

I think I have had about 3 phases in my life.The first was really kinda odd now I think about it because it was mainly jazz and other old records that was in my basement....

then around fourth grade my brother played the shit out of Green Day so i got hooked on them...and around that same time I was mainly just sticking to whatever was popular and on tv/ radio.

Then in high school I became a choir nerd and only really wanted to listen to choir music, but it got boring and I kinda just stopped caring about what other people liked and just started to listen whatever I liked and said to other people screw you I can like this so shut up.I pretty much like every genre except rap and country but I like a few artist of both.

And now I just like waiting for more music to be made and enjoy it.

Started off with what the media and my family fed me, discovered hard rock, metal and classic rock at 10-12. Since then I've tried to broaden my horizon as much as possible by listening to a large variety of different types of music, like jazz, psychedelic, punk, blues, new wave, alternative rock, rap, hip hop, funk, soul, world, experimental, ska, reggae, dub, r&b, house, etc.

Fuck you bastard, I was gonna use I'm only sleeping as my sig as well. Oh well, I suppose people with good taste think alike.

i love I'm only sleeping also! Revolver is cool

I dunno really...it's just been a start at "classic rock" and then expanded from there, now I don't really listen to any "classic rock". It's great knowing that rock/old rock isn't the be-alll and end-all of music, people like that suck.

Arizona Junior Year - Today(grew to simply love music, in all its forms, and to love hearing it at anytime)

- Mike Patton (I label him as a separate genre dut to all his unique bands) (Peeping Tom, Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Fantomas, Kaada/Patton, etc...)

- Avant-Garde (Buckethead, Praxis, Primus, Col. Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains, Col. Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade)

- Grindcore (Blood for Shallow Water (friends old band), Efrem Schulz (performs Botnus with Buckethead)

- 90's Alternative/Grunge (Blind Melon, (The) Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Nirvana)

- Ska (Reel Big Fish)

- Punk (Ramones)

- Thrash (Anthrax)

- Power Metal (Sonata Arctica, Edguy, Avantasia, Visions of Atlantis, Nightwish)

That's a great fucking list of genres [and subgenres] right there-

This kind of reminds me alot of how I am now, and the Classical music is also something I've always loved to either listen to or analyze- but I guess I never really had a Classical Music "phase" when it's all that fascinated me- I guess maybe once in a while I don't mind playing some Bach, Bizzet or Strauss- but I still find it awesome that you had that phase.

Edited by Justagroupie

My childhood was classic rock, the 80s and classical music.

Started to broaden further with my love of the above still going, mostly into things harder and faster, metal etc.

My taste is pretty diverse, as you have probably noticed, and still growing. If it sounds good, I'll hear it.

Early life it was songs to do with the moon,

"Whole of the Moon" by The Waterboys

"Moon River" dunno who sung that.

I also heard a lot of Runrig stuff around the house but never really appreciated it.

In '95 when I was 5 I started listening to Oasis and loved them, Arount the time when Wonderwall and Don't Look Back In Anger had just been released.

I went off music for a lomg time but eventually my younger brother (who was only 5) got into a band from Manchester called James through tapes made up for him by a friend of ours.

I then went on and became a bigger James fan than him, James are fantastic.

In between this I had a traditional swing phase because of the Robbie Williams album "Swing while you're winning"

The summer after i started liking them, james played T in the Park so I watched tha tv show of it and got into quite a few bands that played that year, Stereophonics and The Proclaimers mostly. Those three bands formed the basis for my muisc taste until summer 2003.

In 2003 I started to get into traditional Scottish music through a guy called Blair Douglas and from there on to his former band Runrig who fused traditional stuff with rock. My love affair with the guitar kicked off in earnest.

Runrig were my obsession until late 2004 when I saw the film "School of Rock" and then I knew I had to get into this classic rock stuff.

I got myself a copy of "Back In Black" and loved that album, eventually moving on to the more varied "Appetite for Destruction" both of which were to dominate my life for the next year.

In late 2005 I started to get into Metallica as well through the S&M and Master of Puppets albums but that was as heavy as my tastes got.

In mid-2006 i decided to reverse my previous animosity to extreme metal and got myself a copy of the In Flames albums Clayman and Come Clarity, my love for melodic death metal was born, compounded by Blood Stain Child and Children of Bodom.

Now I'm enjoying a mix of everything i've liked up until this point with my favourite album actually being "Permission to Land" by the Darkness, :)

My musical interest sparked into life during my thirteenth summer, with mainly eighties pop music. A few months before I turned fourteen I began to get a liking for Slipknot, which didn't last long because I found Metallica and GN'R. This is where it really began to get serious. My Metallica phase carried onto an almost obession-like interest, 1/4 of my record collection is still today Metallica items. :xmasssanta:

After that I found Oasis, The Velvet Underground and The Beatles who all took me in from the cold, so to speak. Today it's mainly 60's and 90's music together with modern electronica and indiepop, which I believe is the correct term. :rolleyes: I spin those Met and GN'R records every once in a while, though.

ok I wasnt really into music untill I was like 12

Faith No More <---- 12 Years old

Poison

Def Leopard

Faith No More <----- 13-16 years old

Guns N Roses

Skid Row

Pearl Jam

Counting Crows

Alice In Chains

Punk <---- 17-18 years old

Metal

Hard metal

Pantera etc

Queen <---- 18+ years

Alice In Chains

Guns N Roses

Nirvana

Placebo

Foo Fighters

Faith No More

I've really got into iron maiden lately and the killers.

I keep adding to my favourite bands my tastes in music are diverse.

My story is about how 1 band seemed to pave the way for the next........

In 1978 I was 12, and I was digging thru my sisters records, I seen The Beatles, Boston, Bad Company, a mess of Lynyrd Skynyrd, few Zeppelin too, but there was this "Double Vision" album

by a group named Foreigner that got my attention for some reason, so I played it, and I was hooked!

I stayed into them for 2 or 3 years, it was just cool getting "INTO" something, and Foreigner was new, fresh and really happening! Thanks to Foreigner, I was hungry for some more great music and on the radio, I heard "Highway To Hell", it was different than Foreigner, it was harsher, and just down right raunchy!I had to have it, and a new AC/DC fanatic was born.I lived, breathed, ate everything AC/DC until about 1985, and even though I still listened to them after, my music world was turned upside down with the likes of Motley Crue, Ratt, Def Leppard, Quiet Riot, Dokken, WASP, etc. AC/DC were the guys who got me into this "Hard Rock" sometimes called "Heavy Metal" stuff in the 80s.

Then the 90s happened, I fell out of love with music, I hated the 90s scene (I totally disliked Grunge, and the "gargling" vocalists).I was greatful a lot of my favorite groups from the 80s were still recording and producing new music...Warrant, L.A.Guns, Poison, and even GN'R put out the Illusions and TSI.That's when I started "rotating" groups, like I would get into L.A.Guns for a long time, then I moved on to Cinderella. etc.

In 2002 - 2006 were the years I REALLY got into GN'R, and even though I was already a big fan, I got to the "obsessed" point for a while, like I did with AC/DC in '79 - around '85

Last year, I got into VR's Libertad, played the crap out of it for 5 or 6 months.

This year has been the year of Sebastian Bach for me, and yes, I listened to Skidrow plenty back in their prime, I never got into Bach in his "solo" days after.Then "Angel Down" came out.I was blown away, the album does not have a bad track, I got so into it, I went out and got 4 other albums he was a part of, his voice is electric, he's one of the best singers alive IMO. I would really love to hear "Sorry", I hope to see it pop up one day.

- Ska (Reel Big Fish)

- Punk (Ramones)

- Thrash (Anthrax)

That's a great fucking list of genres [and subgenres] right there-

This kind of reminds me alot of how I am now, and the Classical music is also something I've always loved to either listen to or analyze- but I guess I never really had a Classical Music "phase" when it's all that fascinated me- I guess maybe once in a while I don't mind playing some Bach, Bizzet or Strauss- but I still find it awesome that you had that phase.

yeah, classical only fascinated me for about a month, after years of playing classical and jazz, I finally got into it, still listen to it sometimes, but, lately, I've been listening mostly to Blind Melon

also, I forgot some genres from the

Arizona Freshman - Sophomore period

- Funk (Rick James, Earth, Wind, & Fire, Wild Cherry)

- Disco (The BeeGees, Chic, KISS (strabgely enough, fell in love with their Disco stuff, but, never really got into their rock stuff, lol)

and from

Arizona Junior - Today

-Modern R&B (Akon, T-Pain, Sean Kingston) ( bit exactly huge fans of any, but, me and my friends love driving around singing along just to see how people on the streets look at us as we drive by)

-Blues (Muddy Waters, Fats Domino, Wynonie Harris)

1990 - 94 Primary school - Gnr, the doors, beatles, stones, kinks, motown, nirvana, b 52s, turtles soundtrack, ugly kid joe (lol, the first concert i ever went to).

1995 Year 8 (first year high school) discover oasis, blur, pulp, supergrass, the stone roses, the smiths, radiohead. Became obsessed with britpop, tried to make my accent stronger and when ur from birmingham this is not a good idea, had haircut and walk of liam gallager/ian brown. I cringe when looking back now.

1996 Year 9, become obsessed with radiohead, listen to the bends non stop and still love oasis, roses etc, started to get into the prodigy aswell.

1997 Year 10 become obsessed with the stone roses.

1998 Year 11 more of the same, at the end of the year i go round my mates house and hes playin appetite, which i havent heard in years and i start to wonder what the hell ever happened to axl rose and guns n roses. Start to listen to gnr again.

1999 Not at scool anymore. Still obsessed with stone roses, become obsessed with gnr again, cant wait for chinese democracy or 2000 intentions as i first heard it was gonna be called, im really excited bout axls new band. Start lisetning to house music, start taking speed and E all the time.

2000 - 2001 Obsessed with gnr, stone roses. Still listening to dance music all the time, going to raves and taking lots of drugs.

2002 Stop taking drugs for a few years when i turn yellow one morning and nearly O.D, stop listening to dance music. Got into the strokes, whitesstripes, black rebel, hives, in other words the smallest musical movment ever. Get back into oasis big time heathen chemistry was great, still obsessed with the roses and gnr, stones beatles.

2003 Got into the libertines, obsessed with the same bands still. Get big time into neal young aswell.

2004 Discover Ryan Adams and everything else seems irrelevant, become obsessed with ryan adams and the Alt' country genre.

Theyre all the main changes i went through as far as genre and 'self image' goes. Ive left loads out though, like i havent really metioned the smiths, the beatles, the stones all that much and i love them. But oh well, this was somethin to pass the time i guess, was fun aswell lookin back.