Phases in your music taste

Justagroupie

-Backstreet Boys and stuff like this when I was young.

-Bloodhound Gang, Blink 182 when I was 'round 12.

-Then I discovered Rap, first Snoop, then Westcoast Rap and especially 2Pac became my main interest from 13 to 18.

-This was followed by GNR and a growing interest in rock music as a whole.

-Now it's all about Grunge, Pearl Jam in particular.

I had Thriller and Bad on a copy tape and Rocky 4 sountrack on copy tape.

Then I bought this album by a band called Roachford- british pop rock - Cuddly Toy was a hit, and Family Man.

Then I got Madonna's Like Prayer and loved it.

And then S'Express tape.

Then a Def Leppard Hysteria.

Then Appetite For Destruction. Then there really was only one band.

NWA and Snoop. Red Hot Chili Peppers. Aerosmiths Live albums. Pump. I bought Faster Pussycat (P-p-p-p-p-pussy cat) records hoping for similiar music as AFD but was ultimately let down by LA Guns, Bullet Boys, Motely Crue (not bad record), Slaughter (Oh my me). The nadir of my musical maistakes was buying Tin Machine, Bowie album and taking it back because I hated it and getting Girls, Girls, Girls by the Crue. Ouch.

Then I think it was The Real Thing by Faith No More & Mr Bungle, followed by The Doors, Then Nirvana who seemed like a 90s Doors/GNR. Sex Pistols. Didn't really go in for grunge really at the time, I liked Soundgarden and NIN. The Manic Street Preachers came in as an antidote or another voice, the opposite of Motley Crue really but same kind of music.

Then it was Brit pop. So Suede, Blur, Oasis. More Suede than Oasis. More Blur than Pulp. Way into Vs and In Utero - as great american song writing.

Then went into post-rock obscurity with stuff like Trans Am, Add N To X, Portishead, Spiritualized, Cornilius. Discovered the Beastie Boys again and Black Grape.

Came out of post-rock coma in 2000 with Leeds GNR show. Bought Gold by Ryan Adams and realised I just like classic rock even tho experimental rock is interesting. But not fun to listen to. Give me Panama anyday. Lots of Izzy Stradlin' albums bought at this time. And AC/DC. The Oh My God demo, Marilyn Manson. Queens of the Stone Age.

The Strokes were next great band.

Then The Killers.

So that leaves me here listening to the new Britney Spears album.

Where did it all go wrong?

Adolescence:

I listened to the mainstream pop and a lot of the late 80's early 90's Dance music, lol.

Early teens to present:

I have always been to hip hop but mostly leaned towards rap of the time like Master P, Cash Money, Nelly and whatever other stuff was popular. I then started listening to Modern Rock (Slipknot and whatever other junk was popular). My English teacher actually recommended Guns N' Roses at some point and I really never looked back ever since.

I started checking out the bands that came before them like Cream, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith.. all the big names of the Sixties and Seventies. Then I decided to even deeper like into Jazz and Blues, R&B and then back to Soul and Funk. My brother listens to a lot of Hip Hop like, Nas, Talib Kweli, Wu Tang, and junk. I got into that. Whatever. Not to sound cliche or anything but I'm into anything that's good. I'm really into The Beatles now (It's like fifth time I get into this stage; non stop Beatles). Man, I love them.

I really condensed my musical history. :huh:

Since I've been alive for quite some time, :laugh: I've gone thru many music phases and still do. I've always listened to quite a variety, not really any specific genres. As a kid, I listened to whatever my parents were listening to at the time and usually loved it - Elvis, Beach Boys, Beatles, Jim Croce, Bee Gees, Meat Loaf, Diana Ross, Helen Ready, basically lots of 50s, 60s, 70s stuff. As a teen I got more into VanHalen, Ozzy, Foreigner, Def Leppard, Michael Jackson, GN'R (late teens), and tons of 70s/80s goodies. I've gone back and forth between a few different genres, but country music has never been one of them. Just couldn't get into it for some reason, other than a few songs I like.

EDIT: How could I forget rap/hip hop? I listened to a lot of that during my teen years as well. Mostly 2 Live Crew, Beastie Boys, LL Cool J and a bunch more I'm sure. I still listen to it periodically (especially Eminem :wub:).

Edited by AxlsAngel

0-13 hmm,pretty much the stuff was played on radio

got into Metallica when I was 13-14,then GNR,Zeppelin, ACDC,Queen and punk.

when I was about 15-16,then came hair metal,shortly after that thrash,death,black metal as well as grunge

Got into KoRn and Limp Bizkit when I was 17,then all the other nu metal bands,pluss a lot of old-school hip hop

then Nickelback,Creed,Puddle Of Mudd,Three Days Grace and all the other newer mainstream rock bands.

Now I'm discovering 70's/80's/90's pop

My uncles used to take care of me all the time.. They were both really into metal.

The first album I owned was Beneath the Remains by Sepultura.

So I started of with like the big/mainstream metal bands.

Slowly got onto classic rock.

Had a country and folk music phase after that, which got me onto the blues.

The blues led me to punk/grunge/alternative rock/emo.

Punk led me to hardcore, ska and reggae

Those two turned me onto hip-hop/rap phase.

Jazz, dance and pop just appeared randomly along the way.

..currently having a metal-core phase, Bleeding Through, August Burns Red, etc.

Punk will always be my sweetheart though, no matter what I listen to I always go crawling back to punk eventually.

Since I've been alive for quite some time, :laugh: I've gone thru many music phases and still do. I've always listened to quite a variety, not really any specific genres. As a kid, I listened to whatever my parents were listening to at the time and usually loved it - Elvis, Beach Boys, Beatles, Jim Croce, Bee Gees, Meat Loaf, Diana Ross, Helen Ready, basically lots of 50s, 60s, 70s stuff. As a teen I got more into VanHalen, Ozzy, Foreigner, Def Leppard, Michael Jackson, GN'R (late teens), and tons of 70s/80s goodies. I've gone back and forth between a few different genres, but country music has never been one of them. Just couldn't get into it for some reason, other than a few songs I like.

EDIT: How could I forget rap/hip hop? I listened to a lot of that during my teen years as well. Mostly 2 Live Crew, Beastie Boys, LL Cool J and a bunch more I'm sure. I still listen to it periodically (especially Eminem :wub:).

Exept for the rap/hip hop thats exacly the same as me. I never did like rap.

The foundation was classic rock/awesome 90's music (Semi-sonic, STP, Matchbox 20 ect) because it was always on the radio. I didn't really listen to it by choice because it was there.

Then came Hanson. mmmbob...!

My dad took me to John Mellencamp when I was 8. Got into that and listened to his tapes (Uh-huh, Lonesome Jubilee, Scarecrow)

As the Classic rock training continued I explored Aerosmith, Boston (greatest studio album ever) AC/DC, Meat Loaf, and was always thrilled when I heard GNR on the radio, but never explored them.

Brief period where I started listening to radio pop like Outkast, Usher, Eminem because everyone around me seemed to like it. Some songs were fun but never really enjoyed it. that ended fast.

My relatives love country, that has always been a constant, so I know most country songs that are on the radio and hate most of them aswell, some like Brad Paisley are tolerable.

Eventually my guitar teaching got me into Metallica. (Real Metallica: MOP, RTL,)

I have been opening up to more new music lately as it seems to be improving and not trying to sound like an Eddie Veddar rip off. (AV7X, Alterbridge)

Lately I've been really appreciating Van Halen (even Sammy Hagar era), the lyrical depth of Roger Waters and Pink Floyd, I've gone back to my heartland rock roots of John Mellencamp and Tom Petty. A new thing is soundtrack work like Danny Elfman.